Author Topic: Petrolheads Unite! The car and motorbike thread!  (Read 5516 times)

Offline AntiBlitz

• Duke
  • Renown: 636
  • Infamy: 187
  • cRPG Player
  • American Scum
    • View Profile
Re: Petrolheads Unite! The car and motorbike thread!
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2015, 11:42:29 am »
Perhaps this is the best place to ask around here... I'm looking for a ~$10,000 used car since my old one is slowly but surely biting the dust. Any recommendations for something on the slightly sportier side? I know it isn't the best to buy a "sport" car used since they might be abused, but at the price point I'm looking at it isn't exactly like I can afford a 'real' sport car anyways, hence I'm looking for a "sporty" car. I'd consider just about any make/model, I don't really have any brand loyalty or anything like that. I've been looking at a 2011/2012 Scion tC since it is basically a Toyota (so it'll hopefully be reliable) but cheaper and with a bit of a sportier look to it.

god damn i know ur just a baby and all still, but fuck, atleast look at how ungodly your insurance is going to be when they hear you still wear pampers.  Aint no goddamn way you can afford insurance on a sports car if you can only spend a whopping 10k. 

If you are going to want a go-fast grocery shopper, then start with something mildly older, and build into it, waste all your money and never see it again when you go to resell it.  Or pay for an exotic and outlandishly expensive sports car thatll hold its value for the next 10-15 years and dump stupid amounts of money into it, oh wait you cant because you are paying out the ass in insurance and car payments.

I feel like every guy out of high school wants to get a nice car they can pride themselves upon, but unless you are making the dosh, you might as well stick with the econo car.  Out of High school i was employed by the government and making well more then enough while living at home.  My car payment was $600 dollars a month, insurance was $300 on a family plan with my car(i couldnt imagine a single plan for yourself, maybe 450), and my car got a legendary 20mpg with 93octane only.  I was a poor guy who looked rich over a car.  And for the next 4 years i could do nothing but pay for that goddamn car.  No getting an apartment, no extravagant purchases that didnt take months to build the bank up for. 

TL;DR, i was car poor,  for years, dont follow me.

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2015, 12:20:36 pm »
(click to show/hide)

You are the guy who has that maaaaaaad EVO aren't you? :lol:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Krave

• Count
  • Renown: 253
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
  • I love dark honey [b]eer. It's awesome!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg_Krems
  • Game nicks: Krave_von_Krems, Yennefer_of_Vengerberg
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2015, 12:41:19 pm »
+3
I was unactive too long, this thread need some proper Skoda love  :D

People go crazy about AMGs, Ms, GTRs, EVOs
I would take Skoda over them any day
No ABS, no assistance, it's just old, loud, indestrucitble diesel engine and you, smiling in banana yellow hatchback

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2015, 02:30:28 pm »
Here's a treat for you, Krave :)

When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline cup457

• Earl
  • Renown: 490
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RavenR_cup457
  • IRC nick: cup457
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2015, 04:36:05 pm »
Jona 10k is a like an almostn ew car holy fuck what the hell thats so much money, also antilbitz whoever you pay for car insurance is bullshit, i pay 70$ a month for a v8 C1500 and 25$ for my 4 banger 90 celica. ALso I would not buy a mazda as they are cheap for a reason and tend not to last expecially if you live somewhere with a lot of snow (salt on streets). If you want something "sporty" i woud look for a 90s sports car (Z, Civic, mr2, Celica, maybe mustang, etc) They usually lose value because of problems, the Zs had ground problems and such. Depends on how much of a fuck you give about how loud your car is and comfort and such. 10k is a lot for anything not made in last 8 years, and is quite a bit of money so unless you make like 40k a year i would not spend that much.
CUP CLAN BEST CLAN
Okay, I need your protection, your love. :P

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2015, 06:06:22 pm »
+1
(click to show/hide)

Thanks for the advice and all, but I think you got me confused with someone else.  :lol:  I'd be making more than enough dosh to pay off a 10k car, and that's the point... cheap insurance, cheap car, hopefully high enough resale value in several years time when I'm done paying off college loans and can get a "real" sports car. Hence I made the distinction between "sporty" car and "sports" car in my first post.

(click to show/hide)

I don't mind front wheel drive at all, being in the northeast here winters can be really rough so I'd almost prefer FWD or AWD. When the day finally comes where I can upgrade to a RWD sports car, I'd kinda need two cars, one for winter and one for warmer weather, since even the most expensive winter tires can't help you in slick condition if you're using RWD. Because of this I've been looking at some of the sportier FWD or AWD options, things like the subaru wrx for isntance, but those are almost all too pricey for me at this time.  I had also considered a vw gti or gli, but they don't seem to have to best reliability and they're almost always beaten up real bad when you see them on the used car lot. Same with the nissan Zs and such... ideally I'd like something that would have good resale value and won't give me any problem in the next few years... I'm picky, I know. That's why I feel like I'll probably just end up with a mazda3 for now, I drove one and it really wasn't that bad to be honest. Really my only complaints are that it had a little more body lean than I would have expected since tight steering is kinda mazda's thing, and the steering wheel on the trim level I test drove was just horrible, it was really skinny and made of cheap, hard plastic. Leather steering wheels are definitely a luxury on low trim models, which is kinda why I started leaning towards the scion. That car had the better steering wheel and also tighter handling than even the mazda. Thinking a car is "bad" just cuz it has a cheap steering wheel is kinda petty, but I mean, it IS the #1 way in which you interact with your vehicle... you don't want it to be shitty and uncomfortable 100% of the time.

(click to show/hide)

If new cars were going for 10k, believe me, I wouldn't even be looking at used. Unfortunately they basically all start at 20k. :(  And I'm fairly certain that mazdas have gotten better reliability now, so many people around here have them. If they kept rusting out after only a few years from the salt I doubt they'd have become so popular. The older ones might have been awful, but I think the more recent updates made them a little more rust-resistant.

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline cup457

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2015, 09:16:59 pm »
i dont mean they last 2 years, they last like 10 and then fall apart. also your states is expensive as fuck because im fairly certain a ford fiesta is 13k where I live. I dont know if they make 4wd cars but one of those could work, and if your buy an AWL, some of them are "less than all wheel" aka the front have like 20% power and rear is 80% just keep an eye on that if you need traction

edit : and what i mean by the salt is the exhaust rusts out and other such (this happens to every car tho). Ive driven a fair amount of mazdas and they just feel cheap to me. The seats are cheap cloth, cheap sound system, plastic textured dash and they dont really look amazing design wise.And if you are looking for a noice rwd car an early 90s mr2 with a turbo or super are pretty nice
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 09:30:42 pm by cup457 »
CUP CLAN BEST CLAN

Offline AntiBlitz

• Duke
  • Renown: 636
  • Infamy: 187
  • cRPG Player
  • American Scum
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2015, 11:46:00 pm »
Jona 10k is a like an almostn ew car holy fuck what the hell thats so much money, also antilbitz whoever you pay for car insurance is bullshit, i pay 70$ a month for a v8 C1500 and 25$ for my 4 banger 90 celica. ALso I would not buy a mazda as they are cheap for a reason and tend not to last expecially if you live somewhere with a lot of snow (salt on streets). If you want something "sporty" i woud look for a 90s sports car (Z, Civic, mr2, Celica, maybe mustang, etc) They usually lose value because of problems, the Zs had ground problems and such. Depends on how much of a fuck you give about how loud your car is and comfort and such. 10k is a lot for anything not made in last 8 years, and is quite a bit of money so unless you make like 40k a year i would not spend that much.

10k will nab you a bottom of the trim line new econo car.  Or you can grab a nearly 30 year old car as you suggested, i think we are talking apples and oranges here in your comparison.  At 10k you can find a rather newer car, albeit, with a shitload of mileage, not that anything under 10k isnt going to have that, but im still going to tell you that you will never see the money you spent in that vehicle if you intend on purchasing a sports car.  The term sports car is more or less, anything 2d.  With 40k a year, you can easily pay for a house and a car, and a 10k car is so little that youd have trouble getting it financed unless you tried it through your bank, and if you are young, you prolly wont have the established credit, ie, bring mommy and daddy.

As i said before in my other post, id had started with a simple platform, and dump money into it, of course youll never see what you dump into it, which is why i gave the warning.  The car you purchase at this price point will be nothing more then a project car, because itll have no resale even with a private seller.  Id also recommend a less obscure vehicle so parts would be cheaper, and possibly 4d for lesser insurance, and a less useless vehicle for when you want to carpool with family or friends.

And no, my insurance isnt bullshit, its realistic, get the quote yourself, and dribble over the prices.  2015 Lancer Evo insurance quote in Maryland, the state i lived in, with a 21 y/o driver, of which i doubt either of you are.  I purchased that car at 18, so ill give you the benefit of the doubt and up the age just for your sake(purchased the newest model at the time, not a 2015, but its the same thing).

go on Autotrader, and punch in what youre looking for, and look at the prices of cars, or look for cars you are interested in.
http://www.autotrader.com/
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 12:02:36 am by AntiBlitz »

Offline cup457

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2015, 03:51:28 am »
yankee detected. no wonder you are spending so much fucking money on everything. I bought a truck for 1800$ with 163k miles and i can probably make it last till 300k miles. It costs me 75$ a month with no airbags and a 350 big block. My 90 Celica has 136k miles and is worth about 2600% and costs me as I said before 10$ a month. Its a port fuel injected 24 valve 4 cylinder engine that produces 130 hp at 6200 rpm. Its slow as fuck because it also weighs 3000 lbs. However if i spend ~200$ on it on cv axles and a new clutch I can make it last for another 10 years. I dont really know what you mean by "fuckton of miles" because 136k isnt a fuckton to me and 167k (on my truck atm) is high but not a huge amount unless you plan on driving it a lot (10,000 + mi a year). Also i looked up the Ford fiesta S, only model I could find, and it costs around 16.5k which would be less if you put 10k down. Chevy base car is similar, but the mazda is around 20k. Now I would never buy one of those because I hate the feel of economy cars (bench seat 4 lyfe) and it seems a little out of your price range.

However I work on my own vehicles so I can buy an old beater because its easier for me to fix as newer cars require more electronic bullshit to fix, and im not about to dump 20k on tools. Looking on craigslist now I instantly found an 04 dodge neon with either a turbo or super and 80000 miles on engine, 140k on body, 40k on manual trans, for 9. If you have time to buy a car just look at craiglist every day (only takes about 10 maybe 15 after the first day of going through.
CUP CLAN BEST CLAN

Offline Sir_Hans

• Earl
  • Renown: 477
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Beached_Dolphin, Sir_Hans
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2015, 08:29:05 am »
yankee detected...

Looking on craigslist now I instantly found an 04 dodge neon with either a turbo or super and 80000 miles on engine, 140k on body, 40k on manual trans, for 9.

LOL 2004 dodge neon for 9k??? I hope you mean $900
 Damn those cars are ugly... My roommate has one, he got it for like $500 from a friend of a friend.

Instead buy this
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nissan-300ZX-300zx-/281860147169?forcerrptr=true&hash=item41a02c87e1:g:mmMAAOSw9N1Vkaop&item=281860147169

(click to show/hide)
1996 Nissan 300zx.
5k... Spend the 5k you have left over on replacing engine/tranny/tires if you need... and you are set.

OR if you don't want to go through the trouble to do that...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nissan-300ZX-Twin-Turbo-Fairlady-Z/141832440281?_trksid=p2047675.c100010.m2109&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIC.MBE%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D33861%26meid%3Da8a2493e9b5f462da5785af4b2d0573a%26pid%3D100010%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D15%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D281860147169

91' 300zx in very nice condition with only 49k miles.... Will easily last you 100k miles before tranny or engine has any problems (probably another 150k miles if you take care of it)
Cost is $10.6k
(click to show/hide)

Nobody should be driving around in ugly ass dodge neon for 9k If you really want gas mileage that bad you should just get a motorcycle or if nothing else a geo metro.
(click to show/hide)

And I wouldn't worry too much about insurance... It wont be 870$ a month...

I drive an 08 infiniti rwd coupe, 300hp... bluebook price is about 14k (was 18k when I first purchased and insured it)...
My insurance costs are $110 per month through geico... full coverage, even has useless gap protection which I needed for the loan terms.
Of course I have been driving for over 10 years and currently have no nicks or accidents on my record... (had a accident but that was like 7 years ago in a different car...)
Through progressivedirect.com they quoted me at about $150 for the choice plan and $49 per month for the basic!!!

If you make a decent income and afford payments I would just decide on a car you really like up to 20k in price... Use the 10k to put a hefty downpayment, if you don't have good credit built up have your parents co-sign and then pay off the rest in a few years... Or you could always lease a car and get something brand new to drive around in for a bit, That's also an option.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 08:38:18 am by Sir_Hans »

Offline cup457

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2015, 02:33:38 pm »
Those Zs have terrible grounding issues apparently and could be costly to fix. I dont know anything about it other than that it was common among them and can be hazardous if your state has inspections. I think neons are ugly as fuck and would never buy one, I was just using it as an example of something I found on craigslist.
CUP CLAN BEST CLAN

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2015, 02:50:57 pm »
Dunno about Nissan sport cars but so called normal cars they make have had issues with overly complicated chassis/suspension structures. I just can't stand it when I keep hearing all sorts of different noises from the front suspension. Primera from the 90's was nice but that unbelievable crap they made in the early 2000's...

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2015, 05:25:29 pm »
Any thoughts on a 2012 Lancer GT? It's a far cry from the evo, or even the ralliart, but I found an affordable one in the area with low mileage and a lifetime tranny/engine warranty to boot.

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2015, 05:52:20 pm »
Any thoughts on a 2012 Lancer GT? It's a far cry from the evo, or even the ralliart, but I found an affordable one in the area with low mileage and a lifetime tranny/engine warranty to boot.

It's not evo but it's still probably a goddamn nice car. EVO is expensive and difficult to maintain anyhow and you want to keep tweaking it all the time. You'll probably get more driving enjoyment from something a bit less explosive like that GT :D.

Btw I have a -93 GLXi Lancer nowadays after I decided to let my -96 Mazda 323 go :D. I found one in such a good condition I just wanted it and I think I made the right call. Paid 1k€ for a car that's in perfect mechanical condition and doesn't have any rust. I consider that a win. And I absolutely love driving it. BMW's getting rekt left and right :D. 113hp on a car that weighs 1070kg is a lot :D.

Offline Krave

• Count
  • Renown: 253
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
  • I love dark honey [b]eer. It's awesome!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg_Krems
  • Game nicks: Krave_von_Krems, Yennefer_of_Vengerberg
« Reply #29 on: November 23, 2015, 08:59:55 pm »
+1
Btw I have a -93 GLXi Lancer nowadays after I decided to let my -96 Mazda 323 go :D.

Classics, thumbs up!

Wouldn't be better to hunt for older EVO? They're lighter, parts are a bit cheaper and they look way cooler  8-)

People go crazy about AMGs, Ms, GTRs, EVOs
I would take Skoda over them any day
No ABS, no assistance, it's just old, loud, indestrucitble diesel engine and you, smiling in banana yellow hatchback