Author Topic: Jedi Academy: Movie Battles 2 mod  (Read 2067 times)

Offline Dooz

• Duke
  • Renown: 674
  • Infamy: 165
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Horrible_Human
    • View Profile
    • Wasteland Fight Club
Jedi Academy: Movie Battles 2 mod
« on: June 19, 2015, 10:13:23 am »
+4
A very familiar feeling jumping into this game/mod mutiplayer. Same shit troll community of a dying game, similar skill based combat except with a lot more options and dynamic gameplay, and a whole lotta fun. Attacks are based on keyboard movement instead of mouse (which I guess is also possible on mnb so maybe some people are already used to that), different fighting styles with different moves, combos, strengths/weaknesses, single dual or staff sabers available, and that's just the melee stuff. There's a bunch of other classes that pew pew lazorz and any given game is action packed, shit blowing up, jedis sith force powers, it's chaos and it's awesome.

Seriously though, the community takes as much pride in being oldmy old friend douche cunts as this one, so you should all feel right at home. Sure once every few days you might run into someone that's helpful or nice or at least not actively a horrific monster, but there are some of those weakling types hidden here too I bet.

Also the gameplay just reminds me of crpg so much. And the shit people do together in game, the way they're all tired of this game they've been playing for years but still hang around cause they've built an identity as a "pro" and don't wanna go back to being nothing without it. And plenty of funny shit that goes along with all that.

If you've never heard of this game and this mod, as I hadn't until about a week ago, you might like it if you give it a shot. It's like being a noob in crpg again, except without the level of entry barrier being quite as high just cause there's no grinding or levelling. It might still be tough cause of new gameplay, skills, etc. but at least you're on a statistically even playing field from the jump. And it's just a perfectly made, polished, professional mod with a whole lot of info in their built-in library system to cover all the intricacies and details of the classes and combat and everything else. And that's where this mod shines, like crpg. The nuances of the combat, the possibilities, skill based creativity allowing system that you can get as deep or shallow into as you want.

Oh and despite it being like a 100 years old, there's still an active community with games to be found 24/7 from what I've seen. Some servers more than others and depending on times, but duel and open team combat modes going almost all the time, EU and NA.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Jedi Academy: Movie Battles 2 mod
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 10:41:26 am »
+1
Jedi Outcast/Jedi Academy has one of the best if not the best melee systems in a game. I personally prefer JO combat (having played it competitively in the olden days), but then again I didn't play Movie Battles yet, which complicates things even further. Surely recommend to anyone looking for a great melee combat system.

Offline Dooz

• Duke
  • Horrible_Human
    • View Profile
    • Wasteland Fight Club
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 10:52:47 am »
+1
it's practically a different game from vanilla. new systems, block/stamina/force whatever meters depending on class, mechanics for manual blocking and breaking guard, and it's all very well balanced to me. and a lot more details that make it all a very big, comprehensive combat system

Offline Mr_Oujamaflip

• Earl
  • Renown: 322
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Ouj Reviews!
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 05:27:19 pm »
I played this mod for 8 years before I left. I was a leader of the BG team who are the oldest MB2 clan still around.

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
  • Renown: 446
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SeQueL
  • IRC nick: SeQueL
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2015, 10:08:36 pm »
Damn nigga, did chad touch your baby dick or something?

Offline Dooz

• Duke
  • Horrible_Human
    • View Profile
    • Wasteland Fight Club
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 10:38:16 pm »
if he did i wouldn't mind

Offline Mr_Oujamaflip

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Ouj Reviews!
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 11:19:59 pm »
Problem with this mod were the dg guys taking over development and never removing dotf from the map cycle.

Offline Lennu

• Marshall
  • Renown: 774
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Lennu
  • IRC nick: Lennu_
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2015, 04:46:03 pm »
Movie battles was insanely good mod imo, but the community was just way too small.

And no offence, but getting banned from the BG server for being finnish didn't really help too much  :lol:

Offline Mr_Oujamaflip

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Ouj Reviews!
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2015, 06:29:05 pm »
+1
Hey, it could've happened.
It could've been me that did it.
Maybe you should've changed nationality, then it wouldn't have happened for sure.

Offline Lennu

• Marshall
  • Renown: 774
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Lennu
  • IRC nick: Lennu_
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 07:12:40 pm »
It's okay, I was more of a Sexy Server guy anyway  :wink:

About the mod itself. I never even bothered learning the jedi-saber combat properly, but the combat overall was extremely well balanced. As long as you didn't count in Droidekas  :lol: That shit needed to get countered by the EMP granades, and then gunned down by 4 other players  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 07:16:14 pm by Lennu »

Offline Mr_Oujamaflip

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Ouj Reviews!
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2015, 08:03:28 pm »
When I started playing it Jedi and Sith could just duck in front of it holding block and deflect it to death. But then again it could also roll over people and knock them over.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 10:36:09 pm »
Man I played this on and off for years but recently I have played it quite a bit, it's a very fun mod and has a great amount of customization and playstyles for each and every class.

Offline Dooz

• Duke
  • Horrible_Human
    • View Profile
    • Wasteland Fight Club
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 02:46:24 am »
yeah there's a lot to it, and it's all really nicely balanced from what i've seen. everything has its purpose and way to play it and things not to do, all of which affects the team dynamic in every battle. and just a lotta fun.

Offline Senni__Ti

• Earl
  • Renown: 472
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Senni_Ti
  • IRC nick: Senni
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2015, 08:43:44 pm »
I have a friend that still plays it a lot, he plays under random names (was in Ce7, so get's the hacker/cheater comments a lot)
I've put a couple hours into it, but I'm pretty crap.

Last patch was a real downgrade imo, really messed up the saber system. (mainly from watching my friend play, red/purple/staff/dual = win, cyan is spammy as hell, yellow and blue now suck)

Love playing mando and glone trooper (forgive me!), also sith/jedi (but I'm very bad at it).

Offline Dooz

• Duke
  • Horrible_Human
    • View Profile
    • Wasteland Fight Club
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2015, 09:55:14 pm »
mandalorians look really damn fun, but i haven't even tried anything other than jedi. i suck cunt at dueling, but as a noob can contribute as support, pushing back nades, pushing down bogies to get shot up easier, guard friendly gunners and deter enemy sith from charging (if they don't know how much i suck), that kinda thing. and i've only used yellow style, but it's my favorite visually so i'm sticking with it.