Author Topic: [Outdated] Mastering Battle Archery  (Read 5430 times)

Offline Barracuda

• Knight
  • Renown: 63
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mersenaamat
[Outdated] Mastering Battle Archery
« on: May 25, 2011, 10:25:28 am »
+2
NOTE: New patch (0.230) changed the nature of archery with the heavily decreased shot speeds. Archer hybrid doesn't seem very viable build atm. I will probably revise this guide when I get my hands on the new patch myself after the summer.

NOTE2: After testing the new patch, I found out that you must pretty much go for pure archery to be really effective. That's not for me, so no more updates.

You can still check the guide by clicking the spoiler button below.
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2011, 03:30:22 pm by Barracuda »

Offline ShinySpoons

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: RS
  • Game nicks: AltOfSpoons
Re: Mastering Battle Archery (light)
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2011, 01:59:48 am »
+2
As far as I know crossbows get  their damage AND speed reduced to 75% during rain. Bows get damage AND speed reduced to 90%. The speed reduction does NOT result in a further damage loss if I am not mistaken.

WPF was not decreased during rain last time I checked.

Just throwing this in here so it doesn't get lost in General Discussion.

Offline MountedRhader

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 89
  • cRPG Player
  • Farewell, I am free
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2011, 04:13:32 am »
Great guide!
Found it really helpful, thanks mate!

Cheers

Offline Barracuda

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011, 08:00:29 am »
Glad that my guide has some use :)

Here's the source of armor weight penalty. It's from crossbow data but it should work the same with bows.

I have calculated the weapon proficiency reduction due to armor weight for crossbows using the data provided by Gafferjack.

armor weight modified proficiency = base proficiency * (1 - 0.01 * effective armor weight)

and

effective armor weight = 3*head armor weight + body armor weight + leg armor weight + 2*hand armor weight - 7

As with the previous version, I would assume that effective armor weight values less than 0 would count as 0. The blue dots on the plot below are Gafferjack's data points and the black line shows the calculated values using the equations above.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 818
  • Infamy: 85
  • "Bloody peasant archers!"
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Head)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tenne; Guard_The_Biscuits; Guard_Bugden; Guard_Tennenuff
  • IRC nick: Tennenoth
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011, 12:09:47 pm »
Just a quick thing here but as an 18/21 archer myself you cannot have 6 power strike, 6 power draw, 7 athletics and 7 weapon master.
The closest you can get to this is 3, 6, 7, 7 respectively since you just don't have enough points.

Also I would say it was more viable to drop 5 or 6 wpf (this is build 2 at level 30) and throw that all into 2 handed. The loss to 159/160 archery is nothing compared to the gain in melee capability with 39/50 points making it much more viable for you to fight in melee.

(Everything above is for a level 30 archer, therefore you'd only get 164 wpf at this level, reducing down to 50 wpf points to get to 159.)

I would also recommend using this build in congunction with a longbow since it appears that you are able to hold the draw on the longbow longer than you can with a warbow with the same stats.

The only major drawback is that you have to know you will hit the target before you take the shot due to the premium on arrows. If you want to get around this you will want to use a hammer and put the wpf into 1 handed instead.

I hope this helps tweak your guide, none the less it is very good.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2011, 12:18:07 pm by Tennenoth »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

BullDog Clan member since 31/08/2010 / Caravan Guild member since 03/08/2010

How to understand what I say.
Always finish your tea and biscuits regardless of how terrible they are

Offline Barracuda

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011, 01:11:42 pm »
Just a quick thing here but as an 18/21 archer myself you cannot have 6 power strike, 6 power draw, 7 athletics and 7 weapon master.
The closest you can get to this is 3, 6, 7, 7 respectively since you just don't have enough points.

Also I would say it was more viable to drop 5 or 6 wpf (this is build 2 at level 30) and throw that all into 2 handed. The loss to 159/160 archery is nothing compared to the gain in melee capability with 39/50 points making it much more viable for you to fight in melee.

I usually plan my builds for 31 since I don't want to make compromises but lvl 30 18/21 can be viable.

Come to think of it - ~50 points to 2h is way better than 1 extra point to archery. I'm just used to having no wpf in melee.

Guide updated.

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 818
  • Infamy: 85
  • "Bloody peasant archers!"
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Head)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tenne; Guard_The_Biscuits; Guard_Bugden; Guard_Tennenuff
  • IRC nick: Tennenoth
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011, 06:16:56 pm »
I understand but 90% of people hit level 31 and go straight for the retirement button so you might as well be at full effectiveness at level 30 for the longest stint of your gameplay.
My opinion naturally.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

BullDog Clan member since 31/08/2010 / Caravan Guild member since 03/08/2010

How to understand what I say.
Always finish your tea and biscuits regardless of how terrible they are

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: YlcaTheTerrible, YlcaTheJuggler
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2011, 11:48:02 pm »
Builds should be planned to 30 as most people spend less than a minute at level 31 unless they're pushing through to the end grind (32+).

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2011, 06:50:33 pm »
Builds should be planned to 30 as most people spend less than a minute at level 31 unless they're pushing through to the end grind (32+).

True, but I only retire my Main and my "pet" alt, all others I refuse to retire, so level 31 builds work just fine for me for my alts. To each their own though.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Barracuda

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 11:44:54 am »

Strategus is coming up soon so I guess the end grind is becoming more and more common. There's no real need to retire after enough heirlooms unless you want to change your build. And the grind to 31 doesn't get much easier after a new generation, anymore.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 11:55:21 am by Barracuda »

Offline Ming

• Knight
  • Renown: 49
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player
  • Let her distract you!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Shogunate
  • Game nicks: Shogunate_BD_Ming
  • IRC nick: Ming
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2011, 08:24:29 pm »
+1
great guide, thanks alot!

I have problem dealing with 1h cavs, some good 1h cav tend to bump and slash. I tried to block but the bump makes it unblockable jumping away usually dont work against those arab horses :(

any1 got tips?
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 08:44:38 pm by Ming »

Offline Barracuda

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 30, 2011, 09:21:36 am »
great guide, thanks alot!

I have problem dealing with 1h cavs, some good 1h cav tend to bump and slash. I tried to block but the bump makes it unblockable jumping away usually dont work against those arab horses :(

any1 got tips?

Well there's not much you can do especially if you're out in the open. Only good tip I can give you is not to place yourself in a situation like that. However, if there's a rock or a tree nearby, try to get to it and make use of it. Situate your self behind the obstacle and hold your bow drawn until horseman passes. Constantly move around the obstacle and shoot at the horse without stopping too much to aim.

Offline Ming

• Knight
  • Renown: 49
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player
  • Let her distract you!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Shogunate
  • Game nicks: Shogunate_BD_Ming
  • IRC nick: Ming
« Reply #12 on: June 30, 2011, 02:27:04 pm »
+1
Well there's not much you can do especially if you're out in the open. Only good tip I can give you is not to place yourself in a situation like that. However, if there's a rock or a tree nearby, try to get to it and make use of it. Situate your self behind the obstacle and hold your bow drawn until horseman passes. Constantly move around the obstacle and shoot at the horse without stopping too much to aim.

thank you so much, ill try this.

Offline Barracuda

• Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2011, 12:42:12 pm »
Gameplay section updated.

And here's something interesting about damage if someone has managed  to miss it.
Damage depends on skeleton bone hit, not on generic "regions".

head bone: melee 120%, ranged 210%
thigh/calf bones: 90%
every other bone: 100%
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 12:59:28 pm by Barracuda »