Author Topic: "You canno us this item"  (Read 2373 times)

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
Re: "You canno us this item"
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 10:09:37 pm »
+3
Coming from an 18-27 build, the long maul was pretty easy to use in battle. Any 1h swashbuckler or shielder you come across you can crushthrough 90% of the time without even holding. Then the really slow/long range right swing caught so many people by surprise that it was actually pretty useful when dueling those you can't crush through. It was faster than people expected (198 wpf) but still slow enough that they would drop their block too soon. Or try and close the gap between you too soon. Basically, with high wpf and athletics, it was too easy to use.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Lennu

• Marshall
  • Renown: 774
  • Infamy: 94
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Lennu
  • IRC nick: Lennu_
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 11:15:28 pm »
+2
IMO it was too easy to use only against shit players or when you were in a favorable situation. Any competent melee fighter can just outspam a longmauler, not to mention that simply dodging the overhead is really easy because of the slow turnrate.

Offline Tomeusz

• Junk Thread Creator
  • Count
  • Renown: 172
  • Infamy: 165
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 11:23:33 pm »
Coming from an 18-27 build, the long maul was pretty easy to use in battle. Any 1h swashbuckler or shielder you come across you can crushthrough 90% of the time without even holding. Then the really slow/long range right swing caught so many people by surprise that it was actually pretty useful when dueling those you can't crush through. It was faster than people expected (198 wpf) but still slow enough that they would drop their block too soon. Or try and close the gap between you too soon. Basically, with high wpf and athletics, it was too easy to use.

are u serious? Its slow as shit while other polearms swing like daggers.... Same as one swing kill 2h swords. With this shit i have to hit like 3 times to kill and it still is very slow.

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 11:27:43 pm »
+1
IMO it was too easy to use only against shit players or when you were in a favorable situation. Any competent melee fighter can just outspam a longmauler, not to mention that simply dodging the overhead is really easy because of the slow turnrate.

Right, the long maul is arguably weak against competent fighters due to the low weapon speed/turn rate/etc. But if you yourself are a competent fighter, you would know how to use your high athletics to hit really early in the animation, to dodge their attacks and then hit with yours before they can block. Not to mention that even good fighters can make mistakes or take risks that you can easily punish if you're equally competent but just a tad luckier, or slightly more skilled. Perhaps the long maul only deserved a 3 difficulty increase, but either way, it was too easy to use before. That said, if it is only a 21 str requirement, you can still make a 21-27 build, which wouldn't make it any different than before, really. Looking at the amount of high agi builds running around hitting for 90% of your health each swing with their 21-27 (or maybe only 21-24) long morningstar builds leads me to believe the long maul would be just as annoying if it was 21 requirement as well. Swing speed doesn't matter all that much when you have high enough mobility.

are u serious? Its slow as shit while other polearms swing like daggers.... Same as one swing kill 2h swords. With this shit i have to hit like 3 times to kill and it still is very slow.

Well sorry, but then you simply don't know how to use the long maul effectively.

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Tomeusz

• Junk Thread Creator
  • Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 11:35:32 pm »
If it was soo good, why noone playd it? All running with 2handers and other polearms that are twice as fast and deal similar damage. Swing overhead is useless due of very low range of this weapon, same as said swings which are impossible to do in duels, because its so slow. You have to have very much health/armor or be agile to use this weapon, otherwise u get outspammed very fast... .

BTW. Iam talking about baulder and it still have 24 diff requirement and even with 24 strenght I never one shot ppl, even when i jump from a tower and hit them straight in the head... .

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2015, 11:41:02 pm »
+1
Don't get me wrong, the long maul was by far not the best weapon around; it is and always has been very situational. You saw plenty of them in siege, not so much on battle. But when you do see them in battle they work best when part of a gank squad, they are really just another support polearm similar to a pike or 2-directional weapon... good when you have allies to take the hits for you, not so good in a 1v1 since you can indeed get spammed. That said, the long maul is definitely preferable to a pike in a 1v1 scenario if you know what you're doing, especially when you have high enough athletics and wpf to swing it really quickly and catch people by surprise.

Offline Tomeusz

• Junk Thread Creator
  • Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2015, 11:45:46 pm »
Yes, its good when u are in group, specially when there is so many shielders around, today I did 7-0 with it, but then evened it out to 7-7, because I was just two swinged by other, twice as fast polearms which I couldn't counter. Before I could run away, but now iam too slow.

24 diff is too much imo.

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2015, 10:57:17 am »
+1
Anything with crushthrough has to underperform in straight melee's compared to pretty much everything else. You should be using that crushthrough overhead properly to make up for its shortcomings in side swing speed.

Go for people with shields especially - they often feel safer than other players and don't react as fast, and they are harder for team mates to kill so if you can take them out it helps the team a lot. Stay behind team mates a bit, then charge the overhead and move just into range before releasing. You should switch enemies a lot so they don't know who is your target, and you should be charging the overhead outside their attack range. Hold it a second before release or you won't get any crushthrough, but don't hold for more than a few seconds because the chance to crushthrough goes down again. You can also just hold the overhead outside their range and act as a threat, allowing your team to push against other players

I do think the str needs to be quite a high req for weapons like this because their utility scales really well with athletics. The main counter is to simply run away if you can't interupt before they get in range, which is a free win for the enemy team fight if they then outnumber people
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline Tomeusz

• Junk Thread Creator
  • Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2015, 02:25:42 pm »
Please, range of baulder overhead is smaller than dagger, not to mention it gets outswinged 10 times faster by any other weapon in the game. Also its not one shot kill. Its screwd now.

Offline DonNicko

• Earl
  • Renown: 367
  • Infamy: 95
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Remont
  • Faction: Druzhina
  • Game nicks: Druzhina_Nicko
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2015, 09:46:27 pm »
Well, I think boulder is fine, maybe because I was 4 athl max. But I can kill good players one on one, just need a good timing. Shielders is a fun for me, usually I just see them running from me, and who is not usually become a dead some seconds later, for agiwhores I need only 1-2 hits. I act as a tank, and if a team doesn't suck then we gank very hard, but if I was surrounded and my team goes for a walk, then I would be dead anyway.

Offline Akavirius

• Baron
  • Renown: 112
  • Infamy: 15
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Republic of Wercheg
  • Game nicks: Tanit, Darth_Beggar, Matilda, HibouHibou, Ishak, Ritter_Dora, Shrek_is_Love xXx_420N0Sc0P3_xXx
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2015, 10:15:21 am »
Please, range of baulder overhead is smaller than dagger, not to mention it gets outswinged 10 times faster by any other weapon in the game. Also its not one shot kill. Its screwd now.

Rock paper scissors.
The boulder will not and should not beat everything. The boulder (and other crushthrough weapons) are support weapons, not dueling weapons, you will (most of the time) die in 1v1, but you will kill when supporting a teammate.
Tanit Aeronautics - The Kerbal Space Program where we send probes before Kerbals, except for those test pilots that died. Rest In Pepperoni