Author Topic: Melee Battlegrounds - New Gameplay concept!  (Read 44542 times)

Offline Jambi

• Earl
  • Renown: 410
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Walks with God.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jambi
Re: Melee Battlegrounds - New Gameplay concept!
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2015, 05:17:24 pm »
+4
In my opinion you should be absolutely uncompromising and try to achieve exactly your dream. Do not listen anybody.

Okay!

(click to show/hide)

:P
Love will tear us apart.
Also, most fucked up brain of the year award goes to jambi. Well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX9Cpuj4igk

Offline Jack Avenger

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Black Knights Order
  • Game nicks: Jack_Avenger
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2015, 05:59:08 pm »
Family members, heh?
Will be there a family tree system ? (shown in the player's profile would be great though! :D)
Other good features in that I think it's adding the cause and time of death of the specific family member who deceased :)

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2015, 06:13:36 pm »
+2
Keep the questions coming, I'll respond soon-ish :wink:
(They help us in figuring out how to present it to the public, what is unclear, what is of interest, etc)

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2015, 06:38:57 pm »
Crafting.

How detailed will it be? How customizable will it be? Will players be able to create custom textures for items like swords, etc, so that you can tell who made a sword just by how it looks? Will there be a skill tree for crafting in general, or will it be split up further into various fields (i.e leatherworkers, tailors, smiths, etc.) that a player will have to specialize in?

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #64 on: March 01, 2015, 07:00:41 pm »
+1
Well surely there will be a system of inheritance in you family meaning you wont loose all your material wealth through death just the individual character progression.  As long as that process doesn't take too long to progress through there should be no issue with permadeath.
Turtles

Offline Jambi

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Walks with God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 01, 2015, 07:24:16 pm »
Keep the questions coming, I'll respond soon-ish :wink:
(They help us in figuring out how to present it to the public, what is unclear, what is of interest, etc)

The way your discribing your game, it realy has alot of similairity to LiF. I played it with a bunch of friends.
We had build a city..... We needed farmers , blacksmiths, Miners, foresters and guards too protect the villagers etc and keep the economy flowing. 
There were several other settlements that were ran by other groups/factions, and we had meetings both diplomatic and armed... and nighttime raids  :twisted:
Sure you have too eat in LiF, otherwise you will become weaker and have less stamina. But its in no way a survival game, where your in constant struggle vs the enviroment.

LiF had a bit of grinding. But i tihnk without it , it will become stale. Alot of players want more then just too be able too cut down a tree, and get a bunch of logs.... if you understand what im trying too say.

The reason why we quit, was because there wasnt much going on. We had build the buildings, finished the town... and with sheer numbers and understanding off the game, most our competitors were driven off the server. LiF is still in early beta i believe. But i think with these kind of games, its extremely difficult too find balance between casual, carebears and murderous players.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 07:44:19 pm by Jambi »
Love will tear us apart.

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #66 on: March 01, 2015, 08:06:06 pm »
+1
Can you show me a video of the largest combat situation you can find? I did not find proper videos depicting people fighting, or anything resembling a siege situation.

Offline Micah

• Duke
  • Renown: 539
  • Infamy: 114
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Micah_Senpai_von_Krems Glance_the_Useless_von_Krems Arielle_the_little_Mermaid
« Reply #67 on: March 01, 2015, 08:32:02 pm »
+1
Yes, this feature could either be really good or really bad, something like committing to perma-death really requires absolute faith in solid combat mechanics and that the server will not be a lag-fest.

If someone has a lag spike where their character just keeps running in a straight line for 12 seconds and when it stops they realize they've been killed and it's permadeath, they'll rage quit.

If a relatively new player has done whatever initial grind/tutorial is needed to get ok-ish armour and weapons and they see someone running towards them jerking left and right feignts like a nutter, then get 1-2shot and lose everything. They'll rage quit.

So permadeath is an exciting mechanic and makes everything much more tactical and less rambo, but at the same time it will need incredibly well balanced combat to be successful. Not even just a better version of cRPG combat, genuinely just a flat-out better combat system, sounds like they were on the right track with realistic weapon collisions etc.
Please stop talking about "the permadeath mechanic" as if you already knew exactly HOW it works and how it will be integrated as a FUN component of the game, its completely unlogical since nobody knows that yet ... its also not only "death by force" but also "death by age",which are two completely different points that add alot of possible aspects ... there are myriads of ways to do it ... good ones and bad ones .. some that make it very cheap some make it expensive to die. Some with benefits some with drawbacks for gameplay ... Ofcourse its silly to add it in a bad way that scares away players or newbees; But why would one want to do that?
So please dont scare others with that false prophecy ... its totally free to implement it yet and its not sure how it will be done ... even then its all free to tweak, change, ditch it if it doesnt work well... but it has a big potential for great immersion and that is worth trying to find the perfect way to include it ... use ur imagination and creativity to possible get to a version that would represent the best way for you ... and the most immersive way ... and the most newbee friendly way if you like ;)

Some might even take it the otherway around and base the rest of the social gameplay on a nice permadeath mechanics so that everything else is a result and a consequence of it ...

THere is another thread about permadeath in the other forums ... where some very interresting ideas came out ... i cant sadly repeat everything but there are very inspiring ideas ... my idea was to add a necessity to search for successor of characters early enough by making older chars lose (or change) skills at age ... up to an "death of age" event ... so that carrying along old characters would become more costly and unwanted .. and sad .. so that death is more of an relieve than a burden .. so, that death gets a meaning and makes sense - like irl - to make space for successors ... but thats just my idea until now
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 08:39:37 pm by Micah »
I am writing long winded essays in shitty english.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Jambi

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Walks with God.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 01, 2015, 08:55:21 pm »
Can you show me a video of the largest combat situation you can find? I did not find proper videos depicting people fighting, or anything resembling a siege situation.

At this point, LiF is still server based. Server we played on was usually 25/32 player cap or so. So you could imaging it was all small based. But eventually they plan on making it a one world thing.

no vids or pics on my side. Since the game has several servers, think Dayz wise.. people that get raided or sacked, simply leave the server and move elsewhere... so game turned into huge carebear fest
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 09:15:33 pm by Jambi »
Love will tear us apart.

Offline Eddy

• Count
  • Renown: 209
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: OotQ
  • Game nicks: Eddy
« Reply #69 on: March 01, 2015, 09:10:16 pm »
Right now they released LiF: your own where you can host your own servers etc. but there is no official server (if i remember correctly).
The final aim of them is to release LiF: MMO where it will be on a big server/connected servers. Its expected to start in Fall/Winter 2015.

Offline Suedehead

• Baron
  • Renown: 88
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: wife_of_an_acrobat
« Reply #70 on: March 01, 2015, 09:11:13 pm »
Old concept was better :|

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #71 on: March 01, 2015, 09:19:57 pm »
Yeah, perma-death is a very polarizing feature to gamers, so it needs to be handled with care. Looking at PW for example, where you lose everything but your class (which is a quick, one-time deal) you essentially lose everything. Sure you only lose a fraction of your gold (how much depends on the server settings) but losing all the very expensive gear is quite a large setback unless you are part of the large carebear faction that just buys equipment at one place and sells it at another for 2-3X profit over and over and makes a mint in no time at all (pretty much exploiting imo). Also in PW while it may be hard to get completely randomed, dying is still pretty easy, and if you last a full day's playing without dying then you were either in the large carebear alliance and didn't even fight in their wars, or you just submit to anyone and everyone you met that demanded something of you.

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 01, 2015, 09:21:39 pm »
+1
If you have more specifics to tell me exactly about 'Perma-death' in M:BG (something which i'm sure is far from set in stone at this stage) then please enlighten me.

• permadath: yes, however, very regulated. as a normal player, you should nearly never have to fear someone just killing you for the sake of it. We can't tell exactly what gameplay elements that will incorporate, but in general it means: if someone kills you, it is because he wants you specifically dead, and is willing to take that risk. not because he wants your stuff, it's not medieval dayz. Trying to kill someone puts a lot of risk on the killer, and will have to be carefully planned.
  • permadeath alts: also, to soften the permadeath blow, you will have multiple characters, not just one. you will control one character at a time, the others are NPCs who do the grind stuff for you (run your economy)
So I imagine that participating in a battle and dying won't actually mean permadeath for your character, the way I read this permakilling is more of a political act. Seems like getting ambushed by highwaymen won't permakill you, unless they have a grander reason than your purse and are willing to take the costs of permakilling.

Offline Utrakil

• Marshall
  • Renown: 885
  • Infamy: 182
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Randwig; Gerwin; Marketenderin; Fletcher
« Reply #73 on: March 01, 2015, 09:28:47 pm »
+4
Maybe it could be a possibility that the player has to open the permadeath perk by either reaching a certain political rank or participating in an enterprise with the known risk of permadeath. this could give casual players the savety of not getting permakilled and will add some thrill for higherrank nolifers.

-My2Cent-

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #74 on: March 01, 2015, 09:56:37 pm »
+4
One idea to limit the power of the trolls is to work the ways players can move.

In order to kill someone in a melee game, you would first have to intercept, or catch up with them.

For example:

A traveler or tradesman moving goods between two player built towns/cities:

A horse drawn cart would move 15% faster than normal run speed. That means it would be difficult to catch/intercept on foot, and most likely you would only be able to get one hit on it before it travels away. This give a certain safety to the tradesman, and an attack would have to be coordinated to bring him down. Perhaps he could even whip his horses to get a momentary speed boost? Order them to run home without him? idk.

Horses:

Horses represent a potentially powerful trolling tool to kill random noobs and run away. Therefore, horses you can fight from, war horses should perhaps only be taken from a stables. A relatively expensive building you would normally protect within city walls. You would only have a warhorse with permission from the stables owner.

The thing here is that the randoming troll would then be under the responsibilty of someone higher up, i.ex a faction. So killing members from another faction could instigate diplomatic/political problems. This would be a self-governing anti-troll device.

Normal horses would also exist, but you cannot fight from them.

Personal "drop it all and run" speed bonus.

If you drop everything that can be used as a weapon from your inventory, you will run slightly faster than the fastest build possible "with a weapon attached."

This should make running away an option at all times, at the cost of loosing a tool or a weapon.

===========================================================

Now, of course people will still raid, loot and troll, but it would require some organization on their part, as a group. A player could call up the warhorse equipped guard at the nearest friendly town, and they could again intercept the offending trolls/bandits.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 10:02:37 pm by Thomek »

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.