Author Topic: Melee Battlegrounds - New Gameplay concept!  (Read 44512 times)

Offline AwesomeHail

• Earl
  • Renown: 477
  • Infamy: 49
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • Blaze it nerds
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries.
  • Game nicks: Hail, lol, Kankerhoer etc
Re: Melee Battlegrounds - New Gameplay concept!
« Reply #45 on: February 28, 2015, 10:56:47 pm »
I hope we will erase you from the map hehehe

sheiiit UIF is cummin to town

tthats not gonna be fun if theres a mob of angry greedy vodka drinking high ping using aboozers controlling a HUGE area
(click to show/hide)
Your binary primitive low capacity of thinking is not relevant.

Offline Maestro

• Knight
  • Renown: 36
  • Infamy: 12
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 28, 2015, 11:00:17 pm »
What happens if you have own castle or city and few players join to your faction and kill you.
You will lost your castle? Or how will be castles/cities linked to player/king?

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #47 on: March 01, 2015, 12:08:56 am »
+3
Not sure if I am totally on board with the idea of removing Warband's bread-and-butter gamemodes or not. I never particularly cared for LiF-type games or the Persistent World mod. However what you are proposing most certainly sounds like it has the potential to be better than both, but only time will tell. Anyways, a few questions for you guys...

1) Will there be an arena or some sort of building that you can enter and it takes you to what is essentially an NA1/EU1 style battle server ( or also "mock" sieges similar to NA2/EU2)? Is this how you would level up your character? I don't really see how you can level up to a warrior from a peasant if there is perma-death.

2) Just how large of an impact does your level or your skills have on your combat performance? Will it be similar to what you originally planned for M:BG where everyone has a cookie-cutter basic build and leveling up simply allows for you to customize this build to be agility or strength biased?

3) What do you gain from leveling up? The ability to customize your build/weapons to tailor them to your preferred fighting style? How does one go about leveling up, exactly?

4) I am assuming since this is not a survival game that food/water/other essential resources won't be necessary? I mean, maybe you sell your city's famous wines to another for profit, but you don't need to constantly worry about your "hunger bar" emptying, do you?

5) Let's say that there is a group of 5-10 friends who decide to roleplay bandits. They camp a major trade route where they intercept the (player-controlled) workers/AI/whoever does the trading between different outposts/cities/towns. Now this band of outlaws are all highly skilled players, let's say that they played crpg and their skills transferred over to M:BG. The city they are harassing are is run by a brand new faction who has had limited combat experience. The city sends out a band of 10-15 of their best warriors to uproot these brigands. Their assault gets decimated since they did not expect players in a "new" game to have such a high skill level already. Obviously it would be rather difficult to get a surplus of players online at once to march on these skilled bandits with overwhelming numbers, so is there some way that the city could deal with them? Could they send out a small AI-army of 50 or so soldiers to march against this small band, similar to how you would march against another large AI-army?

6) Along the lines of that last proposed scenario, would there be some way to post wanted posters in cities, where people can then be killed on sight (without consequences befalling the killer) if they are listed on a bounty board? This way skilled bandits may be able to harass people in the wilderness, but if they ever wanted to use all that gold then they would have to risk entering a hostile city sooner or later to buy better gear.

7) Finally, what are the consequences of "permadeath?" Do you lose all of your skills and customized/heirloomed weapons (if customized weapons still exist) when you switch over to an "alt" character? Or maybe you only lose a small percent of your skills/level because your main character was busy "training" your alts in their downtime? Or do you lose nothing at all, except maybe the gear you have on you (which would still really suck if customizing weapons is a chore)?

Sorry for having so many questions, but I figured it would be best to get them all out of the way in one post. :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline AwesomeHail

• Earl
  • Renown: 477
  • Infamy: 49
  • Blaze it nerds
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries.
  • Game nicks: Hail, lol, Kankerhoer etc
« Reply #48 on: March 01, 2015, 02:15:46 am »
Not sure if I am totally on board with the idea of removing Warband's bread-and-butter gamemodes or not. I never particularly cared for LiF-type games or the Persistent World mod. However what you are proposing most certainly sounds like it has the potential to be better than both, but only time will tell. Anyways, a few questions for you guys...

1) Will there be an arena or some sort of building that you can enter and it takes you to what is essentially an NA1/EU1 style battle server ( or also "mock" sieges similar to NA2/EU2)? Is this how you would level up your character? I don't really see how you can level up to a warrior from a peasant if there is perma-death.

2) Just how large of an impact does your level or your skills have on your combat performance? Will it be similar to what you originally planned for M:BG where everyone has a cookie-cutter basic build and leveling up simply allows for you to customize this build to be agility or strength biased?

3) What do you gain from leveling up? The ability to customize your build/weapons to tailor them to your preferred fighting style? How does one go about leveling up, exactly?

4) I am assuming since this is not a survival game that food/water/other essential resources won't be necessary? I mean, maybe you sell your city's famous wines to another for profit, but you don't need to constantly worry about your "hunger bar" emptying, do you?

5) Let's say that there is a group of 5-10 friends who decide to roleplay bandits. They camp a major trade route where they intercept the (player-controlled) workers/AI/whoever does the trading between different outposts/cities/towns. Now this band of outlaws are all highly skilled players, let's say that they played crpg and their skills transferred over to M:BG. The city they are harassing are is run by a brand new faction who has had limited combat experience. The city sends out a band of 10-15 of their best warriors to uproot these brigands. Their assault gets decimated since they did not expect players in a "new" game to have such a high skill level already. Obviously it would be rather difficult to get a surplus of players online at once to march on these skilled bandits with overwhelming numbers, so is there some way that the city could deal with them? Could they send out a small AI-army of 50 or so soldiers to march against this small band, similar to how you would march against another large AI-army?

6) Along the lines of that last proposed scenario, would there be some way to post wanted posters in cities, where people can then be killed on sight (without consequences befalling the killer) if they are listed on a bounty board? This way skilled bandits may be able to harass people in the wilderness, but if they ever wanted to use all that gold then they would have to risk entering a hostile city sooner or later to buy better gear.

7) Finally, what are the consequences of "permadeath?" Do you lose all of your skills and customized/heirloomed weapons (if customized weapons still exist) when you switch over to an "alt" character? Or maybe you only lose a small percent of your skills/level because your main character was busy "training" your alts in their downtime? Or do you lose nothing at all, except maybe the gear you have on you (which would still really suck if customizing weapons is a chore)?

Sorry for having so many questions, but I figured it would be best to get them all out of the way in one post. :P

yes.
Your binary primitive low capacity of thinking is not relevant.

Offline Steelbird

• Noble
  • Renown: 12
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lost Legion
  • Game nicks: LL_Rits
« Reply #49 on: March 01, 2015, 08:03:50 am »
I know you guys will be trying to go for historical accuracy, but what will come first? Accuracy or balance?

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2015, 08:34:31 am »
  • 2 kingdoms: we will figure that out as we go, in general we are willing to throw out any idea if it doesnt work out

It will all end as Alliance vs Horde anyway so no need to waste your time on expanding diplomatic possibilities.  :twisted:

• diplomacy: not regulated at all. all drama goes :)

My heart is filled with joy as I close my eyes and imagine the unthinkable amount of happiness on the innocent faces of all the Keshians, Harphaegs, Hetmans, Abays & Mercs of this world.  :P
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.

Offline korppis

• Earl
  • Renown: 404
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ninja
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2015, 09:00:50 am »
+2
The new concept sounds really nice. Especially the part about linking servers together to create truly consistent world!  8-)

However, please don't completely take the original battle/conquest gamemodes off the table. The new concept sure is good thing to start with and complete first, but there are a lot of casual gamers who never got interested in strategus and such. Those old gamemodes are just so easy to hop into even when you don't have much time to play and just want to have some fun. Being thrown into some real faction battle where winning is important to some people is not good, not when you are playing drunk and just want a laugh.  :D

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2015, 09:42:40 am »
+2
Quick summary:
I had the chance to play the new prototype yesterday for more than an hour with other scholars and I can confidently say that combat is on the right track. It's not perfect and I am not one of the mechanic mastermind analyst we have in this forum but combat is fun, fluent, quick with good control and animations which are getting where they need to be. I am very impressed by it already. So, hats off to that...
Included is a big scale battle showcase, basically a castle being attacked, easy 100 npcs (prolly even more) on the screen at once, and it runs completely smooth on my rig (E31231v3, 8GB ram, R9 270x) which is also very impressive considering the probably still early state and the already nice graphics of the engine.

Maybe we can talk chadz into making some kind of lottery for non-scholars and get another 10 peeps into the program for free at some point and put some stress on the netcode :wink:

Anyway, I really like the new concept. Not sure I do like the perma-death aspect. Depends mostly on the penalty involved. Earlier perma-death included full looting which I am not a big fan of either... yea, I'm a carebear... :oops:

I think, key to the whole project the moment it goes public is some kind of PR offensive beforehand, contrary to the kickstarter campaign. Teaser, gameplay snippets, stuff like that. And even more important, emphasize clearly the main aspect: fighting and player diplomacy. Eradicate any relationship with LiF as much as possible and do it all from a perspective of people who have not the slightest clue about crpg! Sure, 360° combat is awesome but that won't sell it to the M&B-untouched masses. They can't compare like us nerds...

Thumbs up!
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline autobus

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 598
  • Infamy: 127
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bartering Brigade "Black Tea"
  • Game nicks: Autobus, Shushu, Samodur
  • IRC nick: Autobus
« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2015, 10:25:54 am »
+2
I know you guys will be trying to go for historical accuracy, but what will come first? Accuracy or balance?

Balance, we're making a game after all  :wink:

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2015, 12:31:32 pm »
+3
Gotta agree with that, what I noticed from the Kickstarter is that the people that are unfamiliar with Warband seem to care more about game mode design and fun things to do than super polished and super competitive combat. With that in mind I think shifting from a competitive round based design to a more free-form less combat focused experience is a good idea to draw an audience. Its important to not forget that the average cRPG player is a very unique flower and catering entirely to them will leave you with a small potential playerbase.

On the off chance that chadz is not tired from the questions barrage:

I won't argue that this game will be very much like Strategus, but mega carebear alliances like the UIF could form in your concept. I personally find it makes the experience very stale without there being anything you can do about it as a player. Will you implement any mechanics to discourage disproportionally large alliances? I imagine something could be done with diminishing returns for having more members/vassals, however these mechanics also need to be metagaming proof, as in people not officially allying to avoid mechanics while still cooperating for all intents and purposes.

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2015, 12:38:11 pm »

You are dreaming if you think there is going be a finished game with an open world and players on it.
I don't know enough

Offline NJ_Legion_Icedtea

• Count
  • Renown: 259
  • Infamy: 35
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norsemen
  • Game nicks: Norse_Icedtea
  • IRC nick: Icedtea
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2015, 12:55:23 pm »
However, please don't completely take the original battle/conquest gamemodes off the table.
+1
I agree the concept sounds brilliant and it's certainly unique with the potential to be tones of fun. All I can think of is Persistent World though, are there still going to be servers specifically for other game modes where you can just join and fight?

Offline Jacko

• OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 839
  • Infamy: 99
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fffnanguard!
  • Game nicks: Jacko
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2015, 01:33:00 pm »
+2
The main character is your family, under that is your regular playable characters (the family members), and all of those are susceptible to get killed (permanent death) in the world.

Perma death is just what it sounds like, permanent death. Character is gone, skills and gear lost. After a while in comes a distant cousin to replace your loss (or something along those lines).

We'll have instant battle (battle-siege equivalent), what we are undecided on is how and if they'll affect The World, and 'where' they'll happen (disconnected instanced map? instanced part of the world? in the world? Lots of questions to figure out).

We'll have mechanics governing faction size, something we're keenly aware off with Strategus in hindsight.
Monkeys!

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2015, 01:43:15 pm »
+1
While I'm not a fan of "permadeath=lose everything" in any game, really, your approach doesn't sound all that bad. However, is there any chance of conserving a percent of your skills, instead of getting set back to zero/starting values? Well, perhaps it would be better if we knew how leveling up/customizing gear (if that even exists) works. Is it something you do as soon as you play a new character, and they never level up, or do you have to grind, slowly gain xp, and therefore dying is a huge setback?

Also, how exactly does this "family" mechanic work? Will everyone in my family magically be named Jona? Will my family consist of men and only men?  :lol:

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Micah

• Duke
  • Renown: 539
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Micah_Senpai_von_Krems Glance_the_Useless_von_Krems Arielle_the_little_Mermaid
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2015, 03:59:28 pm »
While I'm not a fan of "permadeath=lose everything" in any game, really, your approach doesn't sound all that bad. However, is there any chance of conserving a percent of your skills, instead of getting set back to zero/starting values? Well, perhaps it would be better if we knew how leveling up/customizing gear (if that even exists) works. Is it something you do as soon as you play a new character, and they never level up, or do you have to grind, slowly gain xp, and therefore dying is a huge setback?

Also, how exactly does this "family" mechanic work? Will everyone in my family magically be named Jona? Will my family consist of men and only men?  :lol:
Imo permadeath can add an imensly deep immersion aspect and mechanics if designed right. It all depends on how and how well this aspect is integrated into the game concept ... if done right, it can make the difference between a cheap 0815 meatgrinder and an ultra addictive and immersive fun game :)
 I hope for an experiance that aims to set you basically back in time into a situation of a real medival citizen story ... with death as an serious concern ...

edit: additiionally, i think this is one point where community input and ideas are most important. An impoirtant point to evaluate and argue about ... and give decent feedback and help develop an mindblowing experiance.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 04:13:58 pm by Micah »
I am writing long winded essays in shitty english.