Author Topic: Buff shields  (Read 1112 times)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2589
  • Infamy: 2214
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Buff shields
« on: February 24, 2015, 01:22:39 am »
+3
Please give shields old stats if you can dig them somewhere. If not, I'll search through native files to find them. Strong ranged is awesome and brought a lot of players, but shields must be better counter.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2015, 01:32:38 am by Leshma »

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
Re: Buff shields
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2015, 05:47:59 pm »
+1
Agreed, low req shields should have a good coverage so theres something to argue with to heroes who WILL cry about ranged. Im not sure how they are now, ive actually never bothered with one so far since ranged hasnt been an issue in quite a while, but i think they should cover like any other shield. TBH i think coverage shouldnt be skill based but based stats on shields purely.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2015, 08:42:16 pm »
+1
Please give shields old stats if you can dig them somewhere. If not, I'll search through native files to find them. Strong ranged is awesome and brought a lot of players, but shields must be better counter.

Erm, what? Shields, as far as i know, were buffed some time ago.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2015, 10:04:43 pm »
I joined the game after shield coverage was nerfed, so I'm not sure what the old stats were. For now, board shield is good for low shield skill, and green crescent/lithuanian/hand pavise are decent fast + horizontal coverage shields.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 878
  • Infamy: 283
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2015, 02:28:42 am »
Maybe it is not so good idea to buff shield to native values, because native values I've found on wiki are... interesting :mrgreen:

Unless you are able, willing and have support of other balancers to nerf shield skill and put emphasis on shields themselves when it comes to coverage. You can buff other aspects of shield skill, like HP and shield speed.

Anyway, here are (I think SP and original MP) values for native shields: http://mountandblade.wikia.com/wiki/Shields

As you can notice, some shields have hilarious stats if you compare them to cRPG. Most shields are a lot lighter. In general, all are bigger than in cRPG and some are faster, some slower. Not sure are these exact values they use in native multiplayer today, but I remember that Nordic Shield in pre-upkeep cRPG used to have these stats like on Wiki. I later used Steel Shield and believe it was a lot faster than it says on Wiki, believe it was around 80 speed at that time in cRPG, but might be wrong.

Take into account that in pre-upkeep cRPG there was a lot crush-trough weapons. Also archers were stronger, but not by that large margin as some people tend to think. Over the time, and because of low ping spammers like you :P and kinngrimm on EU side, people complained a lot about shielders so they implemented many mechanics to circumvent them. Also they helped them by changing kick animation. But also new mechanics like nudge/bash help to deal with shielders quite a bit and doubt that anyone these days can be easily facehugged and spammed right swing like it was the case before.

Because of all that, and growing ranged threat and a FACT that shield break rather easily (I've been breaking any shields with extreme build in two hits and most axes break even most durable shields rather quickly, also swords break shield very efficiently even they should not) think it would be smart to think about giving shield more protection as least while they last. Forcing people to move in shieldwalls is rather noble idea but just doesn't work on pub servers. Also something that irked me very much in the past, shields saving horses these days isn't the issue. Considering overall low HP and armor values horses have think it would be good they can at least protect themselves against projectiles by using a shield.

If you think I'm lobbying for shielders because I'm this week playing a shielder... well, it could be true but I'll probably respec to 2H and keep it that way. Might go shielder on another char, but lucrative call of ranged is too strong to be ignored  :D

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2015, 03:16:54 am »
+1
My ping is currently 65 at my current residence :). I get an awesome 100 ping in EU though, which is very nice.

I don't think any shield passives such as force field, speed, and % reduction formula can be changed without cmp/wse access.

If coverage were to increase, durability would need to decrease. I'm hesitant about making the fast shields any better since coverage is their only large weakness and we already know that even a buckler with 7 shield skill has a notable forcefield.

I don't think it'd be so bad to give some of the lesser used heavier/board shields more coverage since they're not so great at melee so they shouldn't get shot around so easily. It's good enough to aim your shield if you're using a smaller one.