Author Topic: Feedback on various current DTV maps  (Read 2312 times)

Offline Rico

• King
  • Renown: 1021
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rico, Mila
Feedback on various current DTV maps
« on: January 08, 2015, 03:37:58 am »
+5
The cRPG team should really put a little more love into DTV to bring back old players, help current noobies and attract new players to cRPG.

DTV Helms Deep Rohan

(click to show/hide)
Please excuse the 1990s graphics, my PC sucks.
  • The ladders and stairs are a problem. They make bots extra slow, which increases the round time significantly. Fun is action divided by time. If players have to wait a long time before the action happens, the fun decreases. The ladders make horses get stuck, which again get infantry bots stuck between them. Chasing down a single stuck bot for several minutes is boredom in its purest form. Blame it on the map, not on the players, because you can influence the map directly, while you can't influence players that easily.
  • The river is a problem. Fighting in the river is a hassle for characters with short weapons, because once they are close enough to deal damage to the bots, they can't escape from the blob which is surrounding them the next second. Dodging projectiles while underwater is almost impossible. The river also decreases the field of vision drastically, which makes it hard to see incoming attacks and the block direction of the bots. The river does not represent additional challenge; instead, fighting in there defeats the purpose of Warband combat itself. Waiting behind the river only prolongs the round without providing additional action, which reduces fun. Charging through the river at the beginning of the round is bad because only players with high athletics will arrive outside in time. They are killed and need to wait till they respawn.
  • The wall is a problem. Fighting on the wall either leaves you cornered on the right or the left, or you're surrounded by bots from all sides. It may be possible to have good fights on top of the wall if almost the whole team goes there at the beginning of the round. However, players don't do that, ever. Again, you can't change the way people play, but you can make the game a more enjoyable experience by making the map flexible to various play-styles, instead of enforcing a strategy nobody wants to follow.
Want to keep up LOTR atmosphere of the map?

Simply change the map to the point after this popular scene:

(click to show/hide)

Make some adjustments for gameplay reasons:
  • The breach has to be larger than the movie suggests, so players can't easily form a single shieldwall to cover everything.
  • Cover the complete river in debris. Every aspect of it is annoying, so please make it inaccessible.
  • Decrease the wideness of the enemy spawn area to the right side, so HA bots won't run away from players forever.
Please remove the map from the rotation until these or similar changes are implemented, because this map tends to kill the server population.

DTV Ballista Madness

(click to show/hide)

Please remove the dead tree circled red on the screenshot. Bots get stuck there every time, and since it's far away from the Viscount, no melee player will make it back alive after killing the bot. It's not in ballista reach either, so simply shooting the bot won't work unless you are a highlevel archer. Currently, luring the bot closer to V before killing it is the only way, and that's fun for one player and boring wait for the residual 20.

DTV Battlemasters

(click to show/hide)

Please remove the crossed out area to the left. Bots get stuck due to the small wall in the middle of the two gates all the time. Removing the entire crossed out area is a better option than just removing the wall, because the map is too large anyways. I know this is supposed to be a tournament field over there, but a tad bit more immersion isn't worth the huge gameplay deterioration.

Please also reduce the distance between the players' spawn and the bots' spawns by moving the spawns to the green numbers.

Please remove the map from the rotation until these or similar changes are implemented, because this map tends to kill the server population.

DTV Lichen's Island

(click to show/hide)

Please move the beach spawn on the top left closer to the players' spawn. Also put an obstacle to the right side of the mountain to prevent bots from running all the way from the right of the map to the beach on the left before attacking.

DTV Celtic Ruins

(click to show/hide)

There is often a single bot stuck where the red mark is. It is strange because there is no hindrance blocking the path, but it is happening a lot. Please move the spawn around until bots no longer get stuck.

DTV Grey Havens

(click to show/hide)

Bots are getting stuck at X1 and X2. Both spots are hard to reach because of how labyrinthine the map is. Both spots are close to enemy spawns, which makes it very risky to hunt down stuck bots as a melee player. Additionally, killing stuck bots in these places as a melee player increases the likelihood of causing bots of the next wave to get stuck in the same spot.

The barrels at X1 are beautiful but nasty because of the stuck bots. Please move or remove them.

Please take care of X2 by moving the spawn on the left to the "3". This way, bots from the left won't get stuck any longer, and the action on that side will happen sooner. It won't be a problem balance-wise, because players still have enough time to hold the bridge or even the stairs.

DTV Thermopylae

(click to show/hide)

The platform on this map needs to be surrounded by something that prevents bots and players from going under it. Right now, you can use a side-swing animation to dive under the platform. Most of the time, not more than one bot is under it, so you can kill this bot and then the other around the platform, which have no option of fighting back, because while it is possible for bots to go under the platform, it is very unlikely they actually manage once they are fighting against the shieldwall. In summary, the area under the platform leaves room for exploits.

Apart from that, since usually one bot gets under the platform during their initial charge, it is quite possible that players standing on top of the platform using ranged weapons or ballistas are being killed by this single bot from under the platform through the wood. This is unrealistic and stupid, and it happens a lot, especially when somehow a cavalry bot gets stuck under the platform.

Thanks to all scenario creators and editors for your awesome work! Apart from the mentioned issues, your maps are exciting to play and well-designed.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 10:50:49 am by Panuru »
Streaming cRPG, Supreme Commander and Age of Empires II on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/HeavenTV

Offline AwesomeHail

• Earl
  • Renown: 477
  • Infamy: 49
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • Blaze it nerds
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries.
  • Game nicks: Hail, lol, Kankerhoer etc
Re: Feedback on various current DTV maps
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 06:18:53 am »
+1
ye olde crpg DTV maps? they still exist somewhere right>  :mrgreen:
Your binary primitive low capacity of thinking is not relevant.

Offline NJ_Legion_Icedtea

• Count
  • Renown: 259
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norsemen
  • Game nicks: Norse_Icedtea
  • IRC nick: Icedtea
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2015, 08:20:30 pm »
A sort out of DTV maps would be greatly appreciated, please! :mrgreen:
Nothing worse than a full server on one map and a crappy map next which makes most leave.

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
  • Renown: 784
  • Infamy: 138
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2015, 06:28:56 pm »
+7
I don't know about difficulty or lack of exploits, but I'm sure I had a lot more fun in the old DTV maps than in this new rotation.

More concisely, many of these maps lead to "braindead" gameplay - make a shieldwall with gaps for 2h/pole and bots can't do shit about it and just die in mass. Sure, it's easy xp and gold, but that's zero challenge.

At least in the old maps you had to play like Battle mode. Most maps were open and allowed countless tactics.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 06:34:09 pm by Patoson »

Offline Uther Pendragon

• King
  • Renown: 1253
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • EX Head of EU and NA admin teams
    • View Profile
    • Strategus Guide
  • Faction: Stromgarde
  • Game nicks: Uthyr Pendraeg, Uthyr, mr fucking dtv hero admin, Stromgarde_Uthyr_Pendraeg
  • IRC nick: Something along those lines above
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 09:48:51 pm »
+5
Just bring back the old fucking maps and the ones Hellsing reworked and I assure you we'll get rid of both the boring brain-dead gameplay and the leechers, as the gamemode will be actually fun to play again  :mad:
Nemo prudens punit, quia peccatum est, sed ne peccetur.
I (used to) manage character issues, reverting, restoring and fixing related mistakes and some other stuff. Feel free to message if you encounter a problem.
He's not the hero DTV deserves but he's the one they need.

Offline Hellsing

• Count
  • Renown: 209
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2015, 11:05:42 am »
+1
irgendwas.bplaced.net/cRPG/

I'm not sure what's actually in there right now.. Will have a look next day's (after playing some DTV I guess :3 )

Already planing some minor changes on most of the villages,
Will continue with the next ones, so there is some new air on dtv..

Just editing old villages and some castles though so like ~15 8-)

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2015, 12:44:22 pm »
Battlemasters was a very cool map. If people didn't like it it's because they camp spawn like plants, waiting for bots (I guess). Sometimes these get stuck, but you can reach them easily.

It was the only open city map that reminded me of EU_1. It was different from the siege-like / tiny maps DTV is filled with now, and it was perfectly playable. The problem was leechers, not the map itself, although by just removing the little wall on the right side, problem solved. No need to remove it.

Instead you should remove the cave map. That's the most bugged map ever.

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2015, 11:43:22 pm »
Bring back Tadsamesh 2015!

(click to show/hide)
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2015, 05:30:57 pm »
+1
Tilimsal.  :)

Earlier today I was in EU_7 and, after a map ended, the map changed to two consecutive Unkown Scene maps, similar to Random Plains from EU_1 but with bugged viscount - you can see him floating very high in the air and very far away from where he really is (you swing at the air where he really is and he is hit).

(click to show/hide)

Then, a couple of minutes ago, the map was the one inside a cave, and a bot got stuck behind a "pillar" at their front-right spawn, and we had to go there to kill him. That map is the worst. Revive Battlemasters!

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2015, 08:51:42 pm »
+4
I think because San removed a couple of bad DTV maps (and he's new at this sorta thing), they might have been replaced by those two blank scenes.

Quote from: 4.1 Patch Notes
San: Removed dtv battlemasters and helms deep rohan
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2325
  • Infamy: 100
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2015, 07:20:31 pm »
Wrong thread.

Offline NJ_Legion_Icedtea

• Count
  • Renown: 259
  • Infamy: 35
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norsemen
  • Game nicks: Norse_Icedtea
  • IRC nick: Icedtea
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2015, 08:57:38 pm »
+1
Played a completely open field map today, not sure if it was intentionally in the rotation and the viscount was floating somewhere but it was good fun and a nice change

Offline Patoson

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2015, 07:03:08 pm »
A bot got stuck again at their spawn (at an inconvenient place to kill) in the cave map (sorry, but I don't know the name, and now map names are messed up again).

This map should be removed too. It's a good map for battle, but terrible for DTV, because the AI either falls down and dies or gets stuck everywhere.

(click to show/hide)