Author Topic: Albion Online  (Read 6756 times)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Albion Online
« on: September 11, 2014, 11:27:26 am »
+2
Funny how I haven't yet posted about this, considering I have been following this game for months. I guess there wasn't that much to show back then, but it seems they're adding stuff pretty fast.

Albion Online is the first MMO to combine full-loot PvP with a classless character customization system and territory-based guild versus guild warfare, all in a free-to-play game. It is also the world’s first true cross-platform MMO, giving players a full MMO experience on Linux, Windows, Mac, and iOS and Android tablets, all in one massive world. Claim your own plot in Albion, or team up with a guild and conquer your own territories, erect buildings and earn silver, then fight to expand your empire!

Webpage: https://albiononline.com/

Features:

PLAYER-DRIVEN ECONOMYA SANDBOX GAME BROUGHT TO LIFE

The ultimate in crafting
To erect the greatest cities and smith the most deadly weapons requires resources, and plenty of them. Search far and wide to find the very rarest, most prized materials. But be on your guard - you won’t be the only one looking for them!

Craft your own armor and weapons
A player forges their own destiny! Be it a mighty set of armor, a magic staff or a set of sturdy tools - all items are crafted by you in our player-driven economy, so take up position at the anvil and get smithing!

Haul your goods around the world
There are many ways to transport goods across the vast world of Albion. So load up your trusty pack mule and set off on your way! Be warned, though, a full carriage is slow, and an easy target for thieves - be prepared to protect your cargo!

Trade your goods at local marketplaces
Have more resources and items than you know what to do with? Or are you looking for a particular kind of blade? Take yourself to the nearest marketplace – plenty of traders await you there, and you’re sure to find what you’re looking for!

FIGHT FOR YOUR LIFEA THRILLING PvP MMO

GvG Warfare
You can conquer the vast world of Albion for yourself!  Territories mean shelter from the dangers of the wilderness, and room to build villages and gather precious resources. Claim yours, then expand your empire and protect it from invaders!

PvP Action
Challenge yourself with intense, exhilarating PvP fighting with the greatest warriors in the open world of Albion. Gear up and use teamwork to send the enemy fleeing from the battlefield! Only the most skilful fighters will leave the field victorious!

PvE Battles
Monster hunting isn’t just a pastime in Albion Online. The creatures you fight provide you with the resources you’ll need to create weapons and items. Arm yourself wisely: Powerful beasts lurk in the world below, and only true heroes can best them!

REAL ESTATEFOUND AND EXPAND YOUR OWN VILLAGES AND CITIES!

Player Housing
Buy your home, then furnish and decorate it to suit your own personal style! Beds, tables, trophies, chests… the list goes on! And these items aren't just there for aesthetic effect – how you decorate will have a direct influence on your character!

Your own corner of Albion
You have your territory - now choose from over 50 buildings to develop your bare patch of land! Whether military, industrial or residential, you create your own city; but construction space is a rare commodity in Albion, so make every building count!

CHARACTER CUSTOMIZATION YOU ARE WHAT YOU WEAR

No classes - no restrictions
Forget what you know from other MMOs. There are no classes in Albion Online, which means no restrictions on what you can equip. In Albion Online, you are what you wear!

More about housing
More about player cities
Salvage and repair

Alpha begins at 15th September 2014. You can secure your place in alpha by becoming a founder (as always, lol).
Overall, I think this game has potential. It really focuses on crafting and sandbox by not having any levels or having to quest or other themepark-y stuff. What I don't like about it is that the combat system is tab target (some skills are aimed) - and you move by clicking with mouse and not with WASD (that might come later) - ARPG/diablo style. I'm not really sure about them trying to put this game on all platforms (including mobile), it might potentially leave the combat system pretty plain and without much depth. We'll see, it seems to me like a decent spiritual successor to Ultima Online.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 11:33:06 am by Vibe »

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
Re: Albion Online
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2014, 11:38:57 am »
That skill tree..

Path of Runescape?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Umbra

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Krems, Freak Army of Gnjus
  • Game nicks: Umbra
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2014, 11:40:17 am »
How are these MMOs still profitable

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2014, 11:50:22 am »
How are these MMOs still profitable

Why wouldn't they be?

Offline Umbra

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 162
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Krems, Freak Army of Gnjus
  • Game nicks: Umbra
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2014, 11:59:56 am »
There are like a million of them out there. Whats the shelf life of the average mmo, 3 months? 6?

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2014, 12:03:07 pm »
That skill tree..

Path of Runescape?

It's not really a skill tree, it's more of a path/specialization tree - called the Destiny Board.

"Players can now really orient their character to one specific craft or trade, incurring significant benefits to motivate them in that direction, or diversify to create a more rounded character. This makes it easier for guilds in particular to strategize, forming several different groups focussed on different trades, such as gathering, crafting or PvE, all forming a coherent whole.
A guild owning a number of territories could, for instance, place all of their gatherers in one territory neighbouring their crafters, creating a production line for items and weapons to keep the PvP fighters of the guild well-equipped."

More here: https://albiononline.com/followyourdestiny/

There are like a million of them out there. Whats the shelf life of the average mmo, 3 months? 6?

Yeah there is millions. How many of those are actually sandbox? Not that many. It's a somewhat fresh MMO genre that has been getting a more wide recognition the past, what, 2-3 years or so. It's still pretty niche, but there is market and players for it. This is about this game in particular, but I can't argue that the average shelf life for the average themepark/we've seen it before MMO with a redesign/new theme is anything more than 6 months.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2014, 12:12:56 pm by Vibe »

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2014, 12:32:26 pm »
I've been following this one for some time as well, it looks interesting and fun, especially for a small squad of veteran brothers in arms.  :wink:
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2014, 12:43:02 pm »
I've been following this one for some time as well, it looks interesting and fun, especially for a small squad of veteran brothers in arms.  :wink:

The game is heavily guild focused as I've noticed, but it should work with a smaller group as well (up to 20). You probably won't have the manpower to take a city or many territories though :)

Offline Lemon_

• Earl
  • Renown: 343
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2014, 04:36:20 am »
+1
I'd be interested in making a group of bandits/outlaws and pick on traders, if anyone wants that :D

Offline Earthdforce

• Earl
  • Renown: 391
  • Infamy: 150
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Earth_Geodude_da_Defender, _RageThrower
  • IRC nick: Khalestimo#7613
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2014, 08:39:27 am »
I'll be downloading this and trying it out. Is it wasd movement? From the little I've seen, it looks like dota/lol movement

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2014, 08:53:41 am »
I'll be downloading this and trying it out. Is it wasd movement? From the little I've seen, it looks like dota/lol movement

What I don't like about it is that the combat system is tab target (some skills are aimed) - and you move by clicking with mouse and not with WASD (that might come later) - ARPG/diablo style.

Offline Earthdforce

• Earl
  • Renown: 391
  • Infamy: 150
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Earth_Geodude_da_Defender, _RageThrower
  • IRC nick: Khalestimo#7613
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2014, 09:21:52 am »
Can you hold the mouse button down like in diablo?

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2014, 09:32:14 am »
+1
Can you hold the mouse button down like in diablo?

From the few PvP videos I've watched I didn't see actual clicks on the ground all the time, so I'm pretty sure they were just holding the mouse.

Offline SeQuel

• Earl
  • Renown: 446
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SeQueL
  • IRC nick: SeQueL
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2014, 05:59:49 pm »
Dis game looks like its for the Ipad.

Offline Vibe