Author Topic: THE anime thread  (Read 146309 times)

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
Re: THE anime thread
« Reply #195 on: October 12, 2011, 01:57:28 pm »
Bible Black
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Banok

• Duke
  • Renown: 521
  • Infamy: 215
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: October 17, 2011, 07:58:56 pm »
So after practically exhausting the western cyberpunk and sci-fi genre I'm turning to some anime, mainly out of boredom and to see if I could get in to it.

So far the only anime I've wathced is Cowboy Bebop and some sci-fi/cyberpunk movie which name I don't recall because I watched it like 7 years ago.

Anyway, recommend me some good cyberpunk/sci-fi anime. Movies or series, I don't care. No silly anime stuff, though, please.  Like realistic, dark, but not excessively so. But if it's really good, and doesn't quite match my criteria then feel free to suggest anyway, I'll take a look at it.

There's literally nothing else interesting for me to watch. And it's raining outside.

haven't seen the series but the film "ghost in the shell" was imo one of the best sci-fi films i've seen and this opinion was formed when I thought anime was shit. tbh I still think most of it is shit, s'why I cant be bothered trying to find new anime series to watch.

Offline Ninja_Khorin

• King
  • Renown: 1067
  • Infamy: 90
  • Zen
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Clan Ninja
  • Game nicks: Khorin/Keyoke/Lujan
  • IRC nick: Khorin
« Reply #197 on: October 17, 2011, 08:27:58 pm »
I watched it. Pretty good. Just makes me sigh every time I watch an anime, because the women are always forced to wear bikini's.

Offline Dach

• Earl
  • Renown: 444
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dach_BRD / SNSD_Taeyeon
« Reply #198 on: October 18, 2011, 07:55:33 am »
Damn I'm late...

My fav in order:

One Piece, Macross Plus, Initial D, Vision of Escaflowne, Death Note & Stein's Gate.

Other I watched or watching right now:

Naruto
Bleach
Fairy Tail
Hellsing
Nearly all the Macross series
Nearly all the Gundam series
Fullmetal Alchemist
A lot of people in the NA community know that Dach rages and in the process of his uncontrollable rage, he tends to kick people.

You've been warned! :twisted:

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #199 on: October 18, 2011, 08:58:17 am »
Stopping in to say Hellsing and Hellsing: Ultimate.

Heck yes.

I love how the two series are totally different, the TV show had an amazing atmosphere, so cool and laid back.
Also the excessive use of the colour red was just pure win. The soundtrack was just.. the best anime soundtrack ever, perhaps?

Sounds like I'm biased, but that's what I feel ever since I watched that TV show 2 years ago. For what it lacks in the story and "making sense" parts, it gives back with the feel and atmosphere of the entire series. Incognito is still a big WTF to me though.

The Ultimate series is a lot more serious, (It has it's own funny moments, though) and follows the comics a lot more. Sadly the atmosphere and the music is not as good as the TV Serie's, but again, the Villains, especially the Major's crazy character makes up for it. He's one of the coolest villains I've seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INotAKQV2tk&feature=related

'Nuff said.  :wink:
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 02:59:46 pm by Christo »

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Banok

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: October 18, 2011, 12:18:22 pm »
might have to check that out looks pretty interesting

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: October 18, 2011, 01:13:40 pm »
Just finished watching Gundam Seed and am on Seed Destiny now.

One thing that pisses me off is that they're re-using La Flaga's VA for the same... type of character. I'm sure there's a reason, but he speaks exactly like him - the same attitude and all.
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
« Reply #202 on: October 18, 2011, 09:16:08 pm »
A new Code Geass is coming out apparently
Just a soldier

Offline Darkkarma

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 106
  • cRPG Player
  • Slow your roll
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: DarkKarma
« Reply #203 on: October 22, 2011, 09:08:04 am »
A new Code Geass is coming out apparently

Why the fuck would they make another one? ESPECIALLY if Norio Wakamoto isn't in it?
This community hurts my brains, a lot.

Offline Banok

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: October 26, 2011, 08:09:44 pm »
so I watched hellsing, dub because the dub is decent and english people need to have english accents etc. plus I can only tell if some chars are male/female in dub.

it was pretty interesting until it went all dragonball z. the OVA looks better animated and I didn't realise it was the SAME story or I would have prolly watched it first, now I cant be arsed since it does seem exactly the same.

Offline Remy

• Knight
  • Renown: 68
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remy_the_Fox
  • IRC nick: Remy
« Reply #205 on: October 26, 2011, 08:51:33 pm »
It is not the same story.  :P

The first anime series of Hellsing deviates completely from the manga and so forth.

The OVA follows the story of said source much closer and apart from the start is very different. Plus "Ze Captain" actually shows up, along with several other fun characters.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 08:52:38 pm by Remy »

Fox, Horse Archer, Tker of Chagan.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #206 on: October 26, 2011, 08:57:49 pm »
so I watched hellsing, dub because the dub is decent and english people need to have english accents etc. plus I can only tell if some chars are male/female in dub.

it was pretty interesting until it went all dragonball z. the OVA looks better animated and I didn't realise it was the SAME story or I would have prolly watched it first, now I cant be arsed since it does seem exactly the same.

Yeah, blame this on the character Incognito and their impatience. They had to release some filler crap because the comic was still in progress then, iirc.

Still, the TV show had an amazing atmosphere, and such a cool funky soundtrack. I enjoyed it really.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Fraemi

• Knight
  • Renown: 32
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Redgrave
« Reply #207 on: October 26, 2011, 11:46:06 pm »
I've seen half a dozen or so animes, generally I touch series if I'm somewhat sure I'll enjoy it.
I'm really not into the more "dbz"part of anime, unrealistic combat/w.e parts are fine but there is a small step from stylish to "power level" obsessed dick waggling contest of plot devices.

If I'd have to make recommendations which hadn't been made a hundred times already:

"Akagi". The anime revolves around Akagi (hoho) Shigeru who is one of the most interesting protagonists in the animes I've seen. The story revolves mainly around his exploits into the underworld gambling and his dealings with yakuza in the post-ww2, dark side of Japan. The story kept me interested at all times and the games of mahjong were unexpectedly very entertaining. The strong points are easily a very solid storyline and an unique, unlikely protagonist.
A warning needs to be said though: you do need a healthy dose of patience, good taste and attention for it. Initially I had a few problems with the art style, but after I while it kind of grew on me and it actually fits the theme quite well.
It also has pretty neat OPs and EDs, really loved them.

"Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei" series. It's a peculiar comedy anime about a charismatic, depressed high school teacher and all his fellow misfits which conveniently happen to be his pupils. The anime is episodic and goes on about various random aspects of life, society and Japan in general. It's very entertaining and I could probably recommend it anyone with a sense of humour, at least for a few episodes to see if you like it. I have a bit hard time describing the show well, the wiki article probably does it better. Very entertaining, "light" material which doesn't take anything too seriously. Stylish animation too. Guess a warning should be that it's rather Japanese-y and that somewhat decides how much you will like it.
Also happens to have great OPs and EDs, also very enjoyable.

GITS
Cowboy Beebop
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 11:51:15 pm by Fraemi »

Offline Civilian

• Knight
  • Renown: 47
  • Infamy: 6
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Civilian_ATS
« Reply #208 on: November 08, 2011, 12:12:18 am »
Souten Kouro

Shame that they did not continue the anime.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBBVPSsFCUc

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #209 on: November 11, 2011, 10:42:43 am »
my fav of all time must be Dokuro Chan, i have a huge framed poster of her im my room that fucking anime i s soo funny and so crazy.

about the Hellsing i conider it to be an entry amine since ppl i know who like and dont like anime watched it and many ppl i know strated with Hellsing (including me) ive watched both the older and the new OVAs and i must say i love the new animation and chocolate chip cookie zeppelind destroying London  :mrgreen:

My fav genre is Space Western, animes like Trigun, Cowboy Bebop and Gun X Sword if youre into space western/fantasy/mecha.

what else lets see, ohh yes you medieval guys might like Claymore, Samurai Champloo is cool, Basilisk.

And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works