Author Topic: Cavalry Sound  (Read 599 times)

Offline Chris_the_Animal

• Duke
  • Renown: 663
  • Infamy: 183
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Chris
Cavalry Sound
« on: June 01, 2014, 12:52:40 pm »
+3
Please increase the Sound of Cavalry. I am always super surprised when I just killed someone, turn around and suddenly out of nothing there is a Cav 2m behind me doing the onehit-wonder...

Im curious why I am able to hear the steps of someone in CoD louder then the trample of a Horse in cRPG. I hope it is not to hard to increase the Sound of Horses as it would be a nice function for less work.
Bros never die!

Offline Mr.K.

• Earl
  • Renown: 474
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Union
Re: Cavalry Sound
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2014, 12:59:03 pm »
+1
There's a soundmod for that somewhere on these forums. However the sounds in M&B in general are the worst I've heard since Amiga 500 games in early 90s and there's almost no feeling of immersion which is a bit sad.

Edit: Here, http://www.mediafire.com/download/4bs70uhob769gk3/Heavy+Hooves.rar

Offline Chris_the_Animal

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2014, 01:05:03 pm »
There's a soundmod for that somewhere on these forums. However the sounds in M&B in general are the worst I've heard since Amiga 500 games in early 90s and there's almost no feeling of immersion which is a bit sad.

There should not be a mod for that, it should just be there for everyone.
Thanks anyway :)
Bros never die!

Offline Switchtense

• King
  • Renown: 1137
  • Infamy: 137
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • poking you where the sun dont shine!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Unicorns, BIRD CLAN BEST CLAN!
  • Game nicks: All sorts of Switch's
  • IRC nick: Switchtense
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2014, 01:05:52 pm »
Free look ;) :D
For all the non-believers, look no further than this thread for proof that while strat battles are won/lost in NA3/EU3, strat wars are won and lost on the forums.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Chris_the_Animal

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2014, 01:20:50 pm »
+1
Free look ;) :D

While fighting? not a good idea^^
Bros never die!

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2014, 01:26:23 pm »
Isn't the sound of cavalry already increased in cRPG relative to Native (or was that just in Vikingr?)? Still too low, though.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2014, 03:18:22 pm »
+3
Sound engine is pretty crappy though as well aside from just volume in my experience. I rely a lot on sound and it could be my perception of the sound, but I notice huge differences in volume between different occasions. I also think the sound engine does not take into account vertical distances. Horses on a higher level sound like they are next to you.

Still, I think a slight increase would be a good thing. Cav has been nerfed a lot to make up for the lack of awareness of people. Now you can tell people to 'get cav awareness' but I think the ugly truth is that after 4 years the level of cav awareness isn't gonna get any higher anymore. Increasing the sound level will directly influence the ease of being aware of cav, which could lead to a reduction in their backstabbing potential, perhaps even allowing them be made stronger against aware opponents.

Don't touch this. I was hoping the stated increase of 10 dB was just due to a misunderstanding of how dB works, but I tried it and I could hear every single horse on the map simultaneously, so it might actually have been 10 dB. Surprisingly hearing 20 horses at the same time does not help with your cav awareness. 10 dB is an increase of sound intensity by a factor of 10, so you don't wanna increase it by that much.

Offline Rico

• King
  • Renown: 1021
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rico, Mila
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2014, 03:30:50 pm »
However the sounds in M&B in general are the worst I've heard since Amiga 500 games in early 90s

Streaming cRPG, Supreme Commander and Age of Empires II on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/HeavenTV

Offline Chris_the_Animal

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2014, 06:40:37 pm »
Sound engine is pretty crappy though as well aside from just volume in my experience. I rely a lot on sound and it could be my perception of the sound, but I notice huge differences in volume between different occasions. I also think the sound engine does not take into account vertical distances. Horses on a higher level sound like they are next to you.

Still, I think a slight increase would be a good thing. Cav has been nerfed a lot to make up for the lack of awareness of people. Now you can tell people to 'get cav awareness' but I think the ugly truth is that after 4 years the level of cav awareness isn't gonna get any higher anymore. Increasing the sound level will directly influence the ease of being aware of cav, which could lead to a reduction in their backstabbing potential, perhaps even allowing them be made stronger against aware opponents.

The difference between the volume of block sounds and horses coming from behind is just amazing. About the vertical story: it seems like horses on a lower level sound like being next to you aswell, so maybe its just the horizontal level which is fucked up and needs a change.
Bros never die!

Offline Simon_Templar

• Knight
  • Renown: 59
  • Infamy: 246
  • cRPG Player
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rCZOzmKRuPk
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2014, 06:44:11 pm »
+2
i agree but nerf ahlpike frist. :mrgreen:

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2014, 07:23:54 pm »
+1
The difference between the volume of block sounds and horses coming from behind is just amazing. About the vertical story: it seems like horses on a lower level sound like being next to you aswell, so maybe its just the horizontal level which is fucked up and needs a change.
That is my point. If the sound engine does not take vertical distances into account than a horse directly below you sounds as if it is next to you as well.