Author Topic: 1 Shield skill - worth it with any +3 shield?  (Read 1329 times)

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
1 Shield skill - worth it with any +3 shield?
« on: March 26, 2014, 04:26:00 am »
My level 34 build has 1 skillpoint left over. I have 115 1H and 155 Pole WPF. Should I bother getting 1 point in shield skill, or just get Ironflesh? I see a crappy shield as ranged defense, but 3 extra HP would also help against bumps and teamwounds.

I can get any +3 shield if I want, which of the 1 difficulty shields would you recommend? It would be mainly for use against ranged on open maps that have little cover. Old kite and old board shields look like my best bets. The old heater shield breaks up my banner and I don't like the way it looks. I've never done a low shield skill build, but I'm guessing that the smaller radius shields will not block ranged attacks very well. I know Arys uses an old round shield, but I don't know how much shield skill he has.

Since loomed shields get a few (or none, in the case of old board shield) armor points and +53 hit points, would a higher base armor shield be better? Or is flat HP more important when blocking primarily against ranged? Speed doesn't seem too important here, since the difficulty 1 shields have a higher base speed than their heavier cousins.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline ShinySpoons

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: RS
  • Game nicks: AltOfSpoons
Re: 1 Shield skill - worth it with any +3 shield?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2014, 04:54:10 am »
+1
With 1 shield skill you can be shot anywhere the shield is not directly covering. So for Kite/heater (i forget if the board shield covers your feet) you will get shot in the foot unless you physically move the shield to cover it. You can also get shot over the top of the shield (in the face) unless you directly move to shield to cover your head.

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2014, 05:08:33 am »
I really would just go with IF over shield tbh if you're just doing 1 shield.. if it was 2 then I'd have suggestions. Although you could do the pretty practice shields and go with a different color every round.

The plain cav shield isn;t bad though.

Its up to you.

Offline protox2k

• Earl
  • Renown: 304
  • Infamy: 67
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mango
  • Game nicks: Soft_Juicy_Mango
  • IRC nick: Kev
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2014, 05:09:31 am »
I suggest IF because +2 HP adds to be more with heavy armor against range

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2014, 01:51:53 pm »
+8
I vote do it, and get a +3 Leather Covered Round Shield. It has 32 armor, so when you put it on your back, projectiles hitting your back see 42 armor+your body armor, so even arbalest bolts do <20 dmg. At this high armor value, it can't be penetrated by bolts (an important consideration for the low-requirement shields).

Even with just 1 skill, it would absorb 5-6 longsword strikes, 3-4 arbalest bolts, etc; durable enough for your intended use.

Think of it this way; if it only absorbs one bolt/arrow every 10 rounds, it has proven more valuable than 1 Ironflesh.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2014, 06:20:34 pm »
Why not 1 power throw?
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 07:29:13 pm »
+1
Probably not worth it.
4 shield skill would be awesome though, because you don't really even need to spawn with one. You can just pick up one of the shields from the ground when the round goes into final stage of defending the flag against archers etc.

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2014, 05:38:09 pm »
Get it and put the shield on your back?
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2014, 07:15:16 pm »
Probably not worth it.
4 shield skill would be awesome though, because you don't really even need to spawn with one. You can just pick up one of the shields from the ground when the round goes into final stage of defending the flag against archers etc.

If/when I hit level 35, I might do this. I'll have 1 attribute point and 2 skill points. Could do riding if I had 5 skill points to spend, but 4 seems like a waste...

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline 722_

• Marshall
  • Renown: 991
  • Infamy: 19
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 07:33:12 pm »
+1
you could use a skip the fun character with 1 shield to see if the coverage is worth it or not

Offline Mr.K.

• Earl
  • Renown: 474
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmar Union
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 11:28:35 pm »
I have one shield skill on my two-hander. The protection is good enough, you just have to aim the shield wherever the enemy ranged is aiming. You can't protect both you head and your feet at the same time. The bigger problem is when to bring a shield. Leather covered round shield is ugly and still slows you down a bit. It's useless in melee, so you can rarely use it and it blocks a lot of your field of view when on your back. If you don't bring your own shield, then good luck finding one on the ground that you can use with 1 shield skill :)

I'd say it's worth less than 1IF for two-handers, but it's not totally useless now with the recent buffs to shields and low shield skill.

Offline Nightmare798

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 502
  • cRPG Player
  • Darksider on redemption
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2014, 11:57:13 pm »
You will get much more investing that point in athletics. Dont invest in shield unless you are going shielder.
Tseng: Used to the bitter taste of refusal, this only serves to reinforce his greatest life lession yet.
Cloud: And that is?
Tseng: Bitches, man.

Offline MURDERTRON

• King
  • Renown: 1337
  • Infamy: 428
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TRUMP / WEST 2020
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2014, 01:35:17 am »
+2
I think Cav benefit much more from 1 shield skill than infantry.
▀█▀▒█▀█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒█▒█▀█▒▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█▀█▒█
▒█▒▒█▄█▒█▒█▒██▒██▒█▄█▒▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒▄▄█▒█▒█▒█
▒█▒▒█▀▄▒█▄█▒█▒█▒█▒█▒▒▒▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒█▄▄▒█▄█▒▄

Offline Tiger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 853
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
  • Made In China
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: TigerGirl; MooMooMilk; BobaBubbleTea; TerraCotta; Tuberculosis; BoomStickGirl
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2014, 03:15:24 am »
I still think your shield would break easy, if you go against str archers  :wink:

"The long united must divide; the long divided must unite."
"How many things, before and after, all melt into gossip and laughter."

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2014, 03:54:13 am »
+2
Go with the 1 shield skill, doubtless.

I did 1 shield skill with a strength-based 1 hander. Used an old board shield, blocked ranged, and it would go down in 3 hits or so to ranged. Immediately after my shield breaks, I would get a free hit on most opponents in a 1v1. Might not work like that with polearm, but you'd have the added benefit of having extra reach in teamfights as long as your shield doesn't break while you're in hoplite mode.

1 IF ain't gon' do shit.

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?