Poll

Should training lessons and the respec system be reformed to provide less game constrain?

Yes
No
My opinion is (comment's on thread)

Author Topic: Training lessons for 1 loom point: Official petition  (Read 23636 times)

Offline FleetFox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 711
  • Infamy: 72
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fox Shox Rox
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Norsemen
  • Game nicks: Norse_Torr and FleetFox
Training lessons for 1 loom point: Official petition
« on: March 11, 2014, 10:19:05 am »
+139
OK I think its time to make my stand...

I've recently given the Mercenaries Mod a try, and my god do they have some things we can learn from. If you haven't played they have a respeccing system which only costs a little bit of gold relative to how many kills you've racked up.

Now I am making a serious plea to our Developers, please reform the horrifically punishing respeccing system we have. There are a number of reasons to help my case.

1. With free respeccing, new players will be more likely to stay in the game, because lets face it, at the beginning once you find out you messed your build up and finding the cost of respeccing puts off a lot of new comers. I know because my friends have told me.

2. A big argument from nay sayers is that free respec would make the game unbalanced. I'm afraid from my experience this is just not true (give me your arguments) a big example is the Merc mod.

3. Right now it costs around 2-3mil gold to get a full respec. This is shockingly brutal. It's been too long that we have accepted this, the price is just way too high for the average player and the frequency of training lessons means their price are completely inflated.

4. This is my humanist point, 1000's of hours have been played on your Mod devs. This mod is all about the RPG element of grinding a character you want to be, now this takes hundreds of hours, and so this is my plea for all those with busy lives with jobs, education and family. MAKE RESPEC FREE. Having respecced many times including twice at lvl 32 and never being higher (some guys are even worse than me) , the amount of time I have wasted makes me sick. And it should make you feel bad because it is a painful thing, and really puts me off the mod at times enough to stop playing for ages.

I seriously want to hear the real arguments as to why this reform shouldn't happen, and to hear directly from chadz, Harald and the rest. Also apologies for rush job I dont have much time. But this needs to be discussed properly as it effects us all and the health of our favourite game.

Kind regards
FleetFox

EDIT: in light of the discussion we have had, it seems trading 1 loom point for a full respec or to pay between 300-400k is the best solution.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 05:17:39 pm by Kalam »
"Its better to die on your feet than to live on your knees."
― Emiliano Zapata

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
  • Renown: 983
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • If you run, you will only die tired...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
NO4GRIND2014!
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Skyrim UI

Offline Fredom

• Baron
  • Renown: 141
  • Infamy: 47
  • cRPG Player
  • Coming from a life of crime.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Fredom ; FredomNumbaNine
  • IRC nick: Steam name: Fredom[NumbaNine]
It would be good, maybe, but...
Without losing exp for respec and just pay some gold, I'd be poor in a short moment like some ther players who would fall back to the respec nightmare... :twisted:
But great idea to keep newbies tho!
Fredom, are you British? -> You got an American accent!- Merc_Sjarken

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
so basically you want to screw over everyone with alts because you can't stop respeccing or make an alt  :rolleyes:
merc mod is a pile of trash. if you want to be lots of different classes play STF. As for unbalanced remember the global respec and the tons of high lvl ranged that turned up?
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Latvian

• King
  • Renown: 1494
  • Infamy: 379
  • с̴͎͖͈͟͠ͅу̷̸̻̣͇͚̫͎͇̩̟̖̪͇̯к̀́͠͞҉͎͚͎а̰̤͕̱͔̬͖̟̺͍͎́͞ ̸͝
    • View Profile
  • Faction: one and only DESERTERS
  • Game nicks: u know its me when you see me
whatever fleetfox says is worth it!
people are like potatoes, they come in different shapes and sizes and they all are beautifull
masturbating while looking in a mirror isnt wrong unless its the rear view mirror and you are driving a school buss.

it doesnt matter if you are happiest person or an unfortunate weeper, a powerfull beast or a terrifying creature. we are all equal, in the eyes of the reaper.

Offline FleetFox

• Marshall
  • Fox Shox Rox
    • View Profile
so basically you want to screw over everyone with alts because you can't stop respeccing or make an alt  :rolleyes:
merc mod is a pile of trash. if you want to be lots of different classes play STF. As for unbalanced remember the global respec and the tons of high lvl ranged that turned up?

Mate I'm talking about creating a better level playing field, as to the alt case, nothing would change but I understand your point about all the time needed to make those alts. But this is a radical change with the newer player in mind, and those with not so much time to invest. As to the STF, well people like playing with their mains the most, because they want to try and get to those highler lvls to try and keep up with the competition, but yes STF would be made redundant. Too many ranged has always been a problem but I don't agree the number of high lvl archers increased much after the global respec. I honestly can't find any negatives involved with that Global Free respec, its exactly how it should be, greater freedom of choice. This is about opening up the game more to make it more user friendlt for maximum enjoyment etc. See where I'm coming from?
― Emiliano Zapata

Offline Rico

• King
  • Renown: 1021
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rico, Mila

Yes. There is double experience since a couple of months. Have you ever complained because it is unfair to the players who reached their desired level in the past and needed double the time compared to how long the newer players do? I guess not, so please get screwed over and take it like a man. It will only improve the mod.

Your alts won't be completely useless; you can have different names, be in different clans, have different styles, even different identities with different friends. So relax.
Streaming cRPG, Supreme Commander and Age of Empires II on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/HeavenTV

Offline BlueKnight

• Marshall
  • Renown: 983
  • Infamy: 200
  • If you run, you will only die tired...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
so basically you want to screw over everyone with alts because you can't stop respeccing or make an alt  :rolleyes: 1)
merc mod is a pile of trash. if you want to be lots of different classes play STF.2) As for unbalanced remember the global respec and the tons of high lvl ranged that turned up?3)

1) Nobody is getting screwed. You keep your high lvl alts etc. I'd definitely go for less punishing respecs as instead of 3 high lvl alts I would be able to try even more builds without creating and leveling an alt (gen 1 fck yeah!) or selling looms or wasting millions of experience.

2) STF is like a cookie without a flavour. lvl 30 feels under-developed and that subconcious info that you can't progress/devlop that character any further takes away some of the fun. You can build so many more sophisticated, rich or hybridised builds with higher levels. Maybe if STF was lvl 32 or 33 it would be enough and all the rest could stay like it is. It would be enough to actually create a more complete build and not to feel self-nerfing.

3)I don't think people respecced to ranged with free respec... I think that a lot of different people created alts (just like I have created archer alt) or that they are just online more often or more often at the same time as others. Whatever, I just don't think that it was the free respec that's responsible for the amount of archers. (anybody else noticed decrease in xbowers EU side or is it just me?)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 11:01:13 am by BlueKnight »

Skyrim UI

Offline tisjester

• Baron
  • Renown: 102
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: TitsJester
I'd be ok with it, if it was still fairly expensive. 150 - 200k which a new player wont get until they sell a lp anyways.
If you make it too cheap then the significance of planning your build loses all meaning. And it does feel good when you get it right.
When i was new I didn't mind losing half my xp. I'd say that's fair anyhow.
As long as you keep trying shit below level 20 it doesn't take long before you're back where you were.

Offline Rico

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
I'd be ok with it, if it was still fairly expensive. 150 - 200k which a new player wont get until they sell a lp anyways.
If you make it too cheap then the significance of planning your build loses all meaning. And it does feel good when you get it right.
As long as you keep trying shit below level 20 it doesn't take long before you're back where you were.
What the hell man, most level 30 builds suck balls given the competition of all the highlevel players on the servers. And you wanna see at level 20 if your build is good or not? Good luck...
Streaming cRPG, Supreme Commander and Age of Empires II on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/HeavenTV

Offline FleetFox

• Marshall
  • Fox Shox Rox
    • View Profile

Yes, good points tiskester but...

My thinking is that a compromise could be made, whereby training lessons were available to all players whenever they choose to "retrain" but the price being consistently between 100 and 150k. This way everyone knows where they stand, clans can come together to help their friends afford the price. I feel a balance of accessibility will be very much welcomed by the community.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 11:15:47 am by FleetFox »
― Emiliano Zapata

Offline Rico

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
whereby training lessons were available to all players whenever they choose to "retrain" but the price being consistently between 100 and 150k. This way everyone knows where they stand, clans can come together to help their friends afford the price.

Just sell them in the website shop at inifinite supply as if they were an item at a fixed price

Offline Rico

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Look someone else had a simliar idea at the same time in a different forum section
http://forum.melee.org/suggestions-corner/how-about-a-free-respec-once-a-year/msg970298/#msg970298

Respecs really need to be changed.

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
why stop there, If you cant compete at level 30 you clearly cant compete without full set of looms. Why not free loom respecs too!

As for alts i have my main at level 32, A gen 4 alt lvl 30. A gen 2 lvl 30 a Gen 2 lvl 29 and a lvl 28 (i respec my alts pretty often) If i didnt need alts my main would just be level 35 and whatever class i wanted :D How would that help new players?
« Last Edit: March 11, 2014, 11:30:26 am by Osiris »
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline Jack1

• King
  • Renown: 1029
  • Infamy: 231
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jack1_, Abbud_Amari, The_Doc, Gottlob_Kohlman
  • IRC nick: Risen_Jack
If there gets to be free respecs then how do you expect all who bought training lessons to feel?

Also if this gets implemented I'm going level 35 longbow that can kite because FU.
We're all nerds here, so it doesn't really matter.