Author Topic: Polearm Equipment Help  (Read 393 times)

Offline Breidr

• Baron
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
  • Stand Tall! Shieldwall!
    • View Profile
    • Breidr's Twitch TV Channel
  • Faction: Highest Bidder
  • Game nicks: Breidr
  • IRC nick: Breidr
Polearm Equipment Help
« on: February 06, 2014, 01:08:51 pm »
Prefacing this post with the fact that I'm primarily a Napoleonic Wars player, I've found that cRPG makes a nice training ground for melee and is a change of pace from NW so I can get more mileage and prevent burnout a little bit.

on my second generation, my first was a 2H with Longsword, I think it was 21/18 and I did... okay.  I recently started a Hoplite build that's been okay to me (don't check my K/D for the love of god  :P).

Moving forward I did some thinking, and I like Polearms, because they behave similar to a bayonets in NW, I just have to find the right one I guess.  If there are any recommendations, I'll gladly try them.  I like the shield, but auto block doesn't help my training.  I'll be doing away with it, unless I feel the need to have one on my back.

I'll just keep playing around with the different weapons, that's not the problem.  The conundrum is what gear I should be wearing while I play with my polearm.  Right now I'm just wearing a Byrnie, Nordic Helm, Rus Cavalry Boots, and +1 Mail Mittens I loomed.  I mainly chose this gear because of the Viking theme and the fact that the Byrnie seemed incredibly efficient for it's cost.  It was more aesthetics than anything, really.

So my first question is, what should I look for in gear for my polearm character, and what weapons I should give a go.  I'm leaning towards a spear or pike because I think that's the best stand in I'll get for what I'm "training" for, but who knows.

Offline Moncho

• King
  • Renown: 1127
  • Infamy: 221
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moncho, Some_Random_STF, Some_Random_Troll
Re: Polearm Equipment Help
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 01:23:44 pm »
+1
If you want to train for bayonets, awlpike is probably the most similar, or alternatively some other 2d polearms (english bill, lances, ashwood w/o shield, long awlpike, corseque, spetum, swiss halberd, ranseur, battle fork, etc). Pike and longspear can only stab, but are my favourite polearms.

About armor, it really depends on your style. Do you want to be like in NW a relatively quick squishy target (cloth - light mails) or would you take more hits (heavy mail), or just be a tank (plate). After that, it really comes down to personal taste. Gloves give you a nice boost for your body armour at little weight cost, but are expensive. Leg armor is not that important if you are on foot (on cav it is a must), and head armour is quite important, due to head hits bonus damage.

Offline Chris_the_Animal

• Duke
  • Renown: 663
  • Infamy: 183
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Chris
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 01:27:37 pm »
Dont got with to much Agility and Weapon Master :)
I am playing a 21/21 build with my Polearmer and i got 133 wpf.
I got an armor with 14 weight and a pretty good helmet and gauntlets. If you want to be more cheap then you should try some armor with around 11 or 12.
Your leg armor is not that important as inf, so Rus Cav Boots are quite a good choice. For more Body Armor take some more expensive Gauntlets like the Scale or Wisby Gauntlets. They arent to expensive and they do some impact on how much arrows you can eat :D

As you are NW player, you are used to the 2 directional polearm. Heres a list of 2d-polearms:
(click to show/hide)

In my opinion you should try one of these: Battle Fork, Ranseur, Swiss Halberd, Spetum, Corseque, Partisan, English Bill
Those are strong weapons with hurtful pokes and overheads.
:)
Bros never die!

Offline Breidr

• Baron
  • Renown: 123
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
  • Stand Tall! Shieldwall!
    • View Profile
    • Breidr's Twitch TV Channel
  • Faction: Highest Bidder
  • Game nicks: Breidr
  • IRC nick: Breidr
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 01:32:05 pm »
Thanks for the awesome list and information, it's exactly what I was looking for.

In terms of armor, I was originally thinking of going light like I'm used to, but in this game I have to deal with tin cans, which can change the dynamics of things.  Everyone isn't the same level of squishiness, so armor could help, but I'm not sure.  I'm leaning towards going light because I feel it would force me to learn, but at the same time it could just mean I spend more time dead.

I may have to do some more thinking on this.

Offline no_rules_just_play

• King
  • Renown: 1401
  • Infamy: 384
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE; Peasants United; Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: CapraAegagrusHircus_HRE; no_rules_just_play_HRE
  • IRC nick: norulesjustplay
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 03:55:43 pm »
Knitler used to play the mod where NW was based on, he started playing awlpike for the same reason and is now all known around the EU servers.