Author Topic: Remove ballistas from siege  (Read 10485 times)

Offline wayyyyyne

• Marshall
  • Renown: 725
  • Infamy: 233
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Remove ballistas from siege
« Reply #75 on: October 15, 2014, 11:16:31 pm »
I have no idea why we are even having this argument (or rather why YOU are trying to argue with me over supposed formality). What's there not to be taken serious about my suggestion? I think I've made some pretty good points on why I should never have to see a ballista on a siege server again.

Offline Fips

• King
  • Renown: 1217
  • Infamy: 290
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Roman Empire
  • Game nicks: Fips_HRE
« Reply #76 on: October 15, 2014, 11:57:52 pm »
There are plenty of reasons in this thread as to why they should stay and the currently active Scene Management (That would be me) decided that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages so yeah, not gonna remove them.
Have a nice day.  :wink:

Offline wayyyyyne

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: October 16, 2014, 12:08:18 am »
So I jut skimmed over the whole thread and the only reason that's been given why they should stay is "I like shooting them" whereas none of my points of how ballistas don't have any added value to them other than more projectiles flying around have been adressed.
There are no advantages to ballistas, that's my whole point.

Offline Fips

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: October 16, 2014, 12:19:49 am »
Peasants can be way more useful, delivers more variation in scene editing (The deathtrap in citadel would just not be the same), more variety when it comes to the whole siege experience,  you can shoot other ranged or cavalry with them even as melee. The only downside is crybabies crying about getting oneshot, which could happen without the ballistas just the same, except you can't carry around or run away with the ballista. And unless you get shot after every spawn without even reaching any enemies, i seriously don't see where this frustration is coming from. It's siege, you respawn and move on.

Offline imisshotmail

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 504
  • Infamy: 428
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: October 16, 2014, 03:31:43 am »
+3
the main annoying part of ballistas isn't being 1shot by them, it's the people who spend all round using them while getting 1-2 kills and be completely useless when they could be fighting. it's basically leeching.

Offline Rico

• King
  • Renown: 1021
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rico, Mila
« Reply #80 on: October 16, 2014, 04:30:08 am »
+1
What about making ballistas destructible?

brilliant idea :D i'd sing songs of the hero teammate who destroys the ballista on top of the stairs at the helms deep tower
Streaming cRPG, Supreme Commander and Age of Empires II on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/HeavenTV

Offline gallonigher

• Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 420
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Gallonigher
« Reply #81 on: October 16, 2014, 05:03:39 am »
+2
Make ballistae destructible.  It's only fair.

Offline Erzengel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 769
  • Infamy: 214
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Norse_Erzengel
« Reply #82 on: October 16, 2014, 01:22:21 pm »
+3
Perhaps we could just remove some ballistas. Especially the ones at the attackers spawn seem to encourage leeching. Also remove the one on top of the stairs on the Helms Deep map.

Offline wayyyyyne

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: October 16, 2014, 04:06:42 pm »
+2
Peasants can be way more useful, delivers more variation in scene editing (The deathtrap in citadel would just not be the same), more variety when it comes to the whole siege experience,  you can shoot other ranged or cavalry with them even as melee. The only downside is crybabies crying about getting oneshot, which could happen without the ballistas just the same, except you can't carry around or run away with the ballista. And unless you get shot after every spawn without even reaching any enemies, i seriously don't see where this frustration is coming from. It's siege, you respawn and move on.

It's like you didn't even care to read what I wrote. Have you not noticed how the only ballistas to reliably score kills are those aimed at a chokehold (which often enough might be a gate that's 5 seconds away from your spawn point)?
Every other ballista is a literal time waster.
It's a noble cause of you to think of the peasants but in reality those things get operated by anyone but peasants. Might be because they actually want to experience the game instead of dully releasing a ballista shot at the right time (or not) when there's actual fighting to be had? I mean, I couldn't picture myself shooting a ballista when I were new. Because why would I when I could play the actual game instead?
Again, it might be technically correct to say that peasants would contribute at least something (which I think is debatable the way ballistas work) to their team operating a ballista instead of clogging up walls and getting in everybody's way. Realistically though there are usually more ballistas on a map than there are new players and even then it's not peasants shooting them.
Have I mentioned how they look like crap and don't blend into castle scenery at all? They look like something out of a different game. Complete Frankenstein tier.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 16, 2014, 06:46:41 pm »
+2
And unless you get shot after every spawn without even reaching any enemies, i seriously don't see where this frustration is coming from. It's siege, you respawn and move on.

So it's okay because you have enough imagination to think of something that would be more frustrating? That's some very weird argument right there.

Offline Voncrow

• Earl
  • Renown: 474
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • No honour in retreat
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sovereign Kingdom of Thirdarrel
  • Game nicks: Voncrow, Bane, Velcrow
« Reply #85 on: October 16, 2014, 07:19:57 pm »
There are plenty of reasons in this thread as to why they should stay and the currently active Scene Management (That would be me) decided that the advantages outweigh the disadvantages so yeah, not gonna remove them.
Have a nice day.  :wink:

Can we get a summary of them? I'm a tad bit lazy to look them up.
'The only people who might be put off M:BG by the current state of cRPG would be cRPG players, and we don't want that kind of scum in M:BG anyway.' - Heskey

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline pepejul

• Master-At-Arms
  • King
  • Renown: 1611
  • Infamy: 495
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • PEPE INSIDE
    • View Profile
    • http://alkislarlayasiyorum.com/icerik/60166/pepee-pepee-cok-uzuluyor
  • Faction: Pecores / Krems / hobo in the heart forever
  • Game nicks: something with PEPE inside
  • IRC nick: Pepejul
« Reply #86 on: October 16, 2014, 08:35:14 pm »
So I jut skimmed over the whole thread and the only reason that's been given why they should stay is "I like shooting them" whereas none of my points of how ballistas don't have any added value to them other than more projectiles flying around have been adressed.
There are no advantages to ballistas, that's my whole point.

I like shooting you
I LOVE YOU, ADMINS !

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline wayyyyyne

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: October 16, 2014, 08:57:41 pm »
+1
I like shooting you

reported for spam ;)))):))

Offline Fips

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 16, 2014, 08:58:55 pm »
I can't be arsed to comment here anymore. You wanted to remove ballistas, the OP got plenty of downvotes and i want them to stay, too, so yeah. They stay.

Offline gallonigher

• Game Admin (trial)
  • Renown: 420
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Gallonigher
« Reply #89 on: October 16, 2014, 09:33:12 pm »
+2
There are enough people that want them gone; they're just too busy playing and can't be arsed to comment on here.  Make them destructible,  limit their numbers, I don't care but meet us halfway.   Stop running away from current issues to go create more.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 09:39:52 pm by gallonigher »