Author Topic: Is that supposed to be an Estoc?  (Read 3239 times)

Offline Bonzereli

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Is that supposed to be an Estoc?
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2013, 10:30:36 pm »
+3
I agree that swing should be a weaker blunt damage. I don't think the pierce damage should be anywhere near what you are suggesting. I do agree that the secondary mode should get a good bump in pierce damage. It does need to remain balanced with swing directions, damage, and cost.

Offline Lethwin Far Seeker

• Earl
  • Renown: 363
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Ward of Mithrim
  • Game nicks: The House of Tiercel
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2013, 10:37:59 pm »
+2
Due to the high amounts of negative feedback that I believe is directed at the suggested pierce stat (that was proposed by Jeade) I have lowered the suggested damage number.

Further I'd like to clarify that I don't use 2h at the moment and hate fighting against lolstab and 2h in general.  I simply want stats that reflect the weapon.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline chaosegg

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
  • gen 19 Escapist, Philosurfer, Voluntaryist
    • View Profile
    • I need to know why.
  • Faction: Tigurini
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2013, 10:10:51 pm »
+1
(click to show/hide)
+1
Agree.
Low damage blunt swing seems to make a lot more sense to me.

As it stands now, the weapon looks so good people are likely to start looming it and then be upset if/when it gets nerfed back to semi-realism....
"All true warriors travel the same river of blood, if one is disgraced, all are disgraced; if one finds his death in glory, so do we all find glory.
No true warrior would allow another to suffer unjust disgrace or begrudge him the fruits of a well-earned victory."

Offline Utrakil

• Marshall
  • Renown: 885
  • Infamy: 182
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Randwig; Gerwin; Marketenderin; Fletcher
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2013, 10:19:43 pm »
can someone please post an ingame picture of the estoc? The shop doesn't provide a picture and I don't want to buy it just to have a look.
Thanks

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2013, 02:26:48 am »
+2
It's not getting blunt damage unless we decide to change the model. Not all estocs had blunted edges.
http://www.myarmoury.com/review_mrl_estoc.html
"Some estoc blades retain cutting edges while others are so thick in cross-section that they are simply hilted spikes."

Thick cross section, meaning the angles at the edges were more like 75 degree angles, rather than the 20-30 that most bladed weapons would have. Check out the model, blunt wouldn't make sense. Even if you assumed the blade wasn't properly sharpened, the thin blade would still make it more suitable for cutting than bludgeoning.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Lethwin Far Seeker

• Earl
  • Renown: 363
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Ward of Mithrim
  • Game nicks: The House of Tiercel
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2013, 05:45:22 am »
It's not getting blunt damage unless we decide to change the model. Not all estocs had blunted edges.
"Some estoc blades retain cutting edges while others are so thick in cross-section that they are simply hilted spikes."

Thick cross section, meaning the angles at the edges were more like 75 degree angles, rather than the 20-30 that most bladed weapons would have. Check out the model, blunt wouldn't make sense. Even if you assumed the blade wasn't properly sharpened, the thin blade would still make it more suitable for cutting than bludgeoning.

Then change the name to something that accurately reflects the model.  What you have there is some kind of a slender longsword, not an Estoc.
These are Estocs:

Offline HUtH

• Baron
  • Renown: 94
  • Infamy: 28
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 27, 2013, 01:03:30 pm »
^ Isn't that a chronologically later weapon(like XVI c.)(like Sidesword btw...)? This Estoc in game is something earlier I suppose, kinda 'proto-estoc', more medieval-ish.
Sorry
for
my
terrible
English

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
« Reply #22 on: November 27, 2013, 01:26:12 pm »
Imo 40 pierce for a lolstab weapon is very low, better make it 100000 just to be sure that 2hand heroes will kill anything.
its 32 you dummy
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 02:08:43 pm by Rebelyell »

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?

Offline Rebelyell

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 398
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Bobby
  • IRC nick: boobby
« Reply #23 on: November 27, 2013, 02:10:12 pm »

20 blunt dmg  will meake that sword op
better keep it cut dmg imo

Hey, I just met you,
And this is crazy,
You just killed me
Nerf you maybe?

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #24 on: November 27, 2013, 06:11:02 pm »
+3
When I first heard about the Estoc, I also figured it would be an edgeless sword dedicated entirely to piercing. That's what the name evokes for me anyways, an oversized needle.

from Old French estoc (“the point of a sword, rapier”), deverbal of estoquer, estochier (“to stab, thrust”), from Middle Dutch stoken (“to thrust, poke”) or Middle High German stoken (“to stab, pierce”), both from Proto-Germanic *stukōną (“to be stiff, push, thrust”), from Proto-Indo-European *(s)teug- (“to beat, thrust, push”)

Offline chaosegg

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • I need to know why.
« Reply #25 on: December 15, 2013, 06:33:52 pm »
Meh, nevermind.
Far as the stats are now (30p thrust, 28c swing)
the Estoc might be "relatively balanced within the 2h category",
even if it doesn't make a lot of sense realism-wise... many other things are far worse for realism-purposes.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2013, 06:44:17 pm by chaosegg »
"All true warriors travel the same river of blood, if one is disgraced, all are disgraced; if one finds his death in glory, so do we all find glory.
No true warrior would allow another to suffer unjust disgrace or begrudge him the fruits of a well-earned victory."

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 15, 2013, 07:08:30 pm »
I own a MW Estoc now. I'd say it is a balanced sword. Swings do very low damage, so you mostly have to use the thrust attack. Which tones down your strength a bit.
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline chaosegg

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • I need to know why.
« Reply #27 on: December 16, 2013, 02:23:51 pm »
I own a MW Estoc now. I'd say it is a balanced sword. Swings do very low damage, so you mostly have to use the thrust attack. Which tones down your strength a bit.
Interesting! Thanks for that info!

For a while I was thinking the swing should be something more like (less than) <25c or <15b ,
but I have come to see I could easily have just been obsessing too much over the "realism factors", instead of the "balance factors".

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 16, 2013, 02:46:36 pm »
Well the swings still do some damage of course, otherwise it would have been near to useless. Sometimes they even glance when executed poorly. It's no surprise since it does lower damage than most of the 1h swords.

There is also that small stun when your thrust attack gets blocked.

Other than that, estoc is a very fast weapon with the one of the best thrust attacks if not the best already. One of the best parts was using the thrust against incoming cavalry. Killing the rider in one hit.

By the way, my estoc is gone :P
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D