Author Topic: Help with 1h/shielder build  (Read 804 times)

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
Help with 1h/shielder build
« on: November 19, 2013, 12:10:03 pm »
A new patch, free respec and so many wonderful possibilities.

Here are the builds I've come up with:

Level 32

Health Points: 50
Attribute points:0
Strength:15
Agility:24
Weapon points:15
One Handed:184
Two Handed:30
Polearm:30
Throwing:1
Crossbow:1
Archery:1

Skill points:3
Weapon Master:8
Athletics:8
Riding:0
Iron Flesh:0
Shield:5
Horse Archery:0
Power Strike:5
Power Draw:0
Power Throw:0

Last 3 skillpoints either in shield or IF. With 3 in IF the hp difference with build 2 is just 3 hp.

Health Points: 59
Strength:18
Agility:21
Weapon points:11
One Handed:170
Two Handed:27
Polearm:27

Skill points:1
Weapon Master:7
Athletics:7
Iron Flesh:3
Power Strike:6

A bit tankier. Gain 1 PS and 3 hp at the cost of 1 athletics and 14 wpf points.

Health Points: 66
Strength:21
Agility:18
Weapon points:9
One Handed:155
Two Handed:24
Polearm:24

Skill points:0
Weapon Master:6
Athletics:6
Iron Flesh:5
Power Strike:7

Tankiest I would want to go. Compared to the first build I gain 10 hp and 2 PS at the cost of 2 athletics and 29 wpf.

When playing, I want to be able to hold my own in a fight vs 2h/polearms without being in a severe disadvantage. The extra athletics in build 1 helps to mitigate the reach problem, but in order to make it effective I would have to wear little to no armour. In a fight, 1 or 2 hits will kill me.
The tankier build will dish out more damage, but I might struggle to land a hit with a warhammer or broad one handed battle axe.
I'm a bit torn and a lot of the builds for 2h/pole I've seen have either 21 or 24 agility. I have the feeling I have to go 15/24 in order to be able to keep up with them.

What do you guys think/recommend?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Sparvico

• Marshall
  • Renown: 976
  • Infamy: 174
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Steam ID: Sparvico
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mossbacks
  • Game nicks: Sparvico et al.
Re: Help with 1h/shielder build
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 01:31:19 pm »
+1
18/21 seems like the best balance between power and mobility. Both are pretty important depending on the situation you are in so a balance is good. For instance with the 15/24 you really can't do to much in a tight area, you need space for that build to really shine, so strat sieges (which should increase in frequency now) would be a real bitch. And then with the 21/18 you probably are going to find yourself outpaced by the increase in agi builds during field battles (and when pubbing). That said 21/18 would do better in sieges, so if you play siege when pubbing, and want to play in a lot of the strat sieges that should come about do to the removal of the 1/3 rule, you might find it a bit more suitable.

I myself have played as a shielder for most of my gens now (packet loss makes consistently manual blocking difficult mkay) and I find that 18/21 really gives you the most versatility so long as you are going to level 31 at least. Even so it is going to be a different ball game now with the way agi is, so you might go with 15/24 just to keep up with the new agi builds for awhile. Then assuming your not going beyond lvl 33 you can retire to 18/21 once the agi craze has settled down a little.

Now if you are planning on going beyond lvl 33 I would recommend checking out 21/21 or 18/24 (unless you want lots of riding, lets say).

(click to show/hide)
Mossback_Westwood: "I swear 2 my semitic God if you give me this bundle of sticks's address I'll cut off his ear and eat it"

Offline Moncho

• King
  • Renown: 1127
  • Infamy: 221
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moncho, Some_Random_STF, Some_Random_Troll
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2013, 02:15:35 pm »
I would test a STF character with 15/21 to see whether you like playing with 5 ps (I find it lacking) and 7 athl and 18/18 for 6 ps and 6 athl and from there choose which one to go.

I would personally go for the 18/21 one. I am right now 18/18 at lvl 30 and feel my damage is fine, but slow at times.
This is especially important with the short weapons you mention (warhammer and broad 1h battle axe).

About the extra skillpoints, unless you want to use the steel shield or a buckler, I feel like going past 5 skill is not worth it compared to some IF.

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2013, 03:02:08 pm »
Thanks a lot for the input so far.
I've made an STF toon 15/24 to see if I can cope with the lower damage and the increased speed. Although it's great for chasing down archers and the like, it's not very useful in siege (which I mostly play). In tight spaces/on top of walls/in breaches, the speedadvantage is completely nullified and I'm not one to roam the map for a lone target to kill. On top of that, low armour/low hp makes you very unfit for fighting in clusterfucks.
I'm going to swap out my scottish sword for a warhammer to see if it improves the build. If it doesn't, I'll definitely test an 18/21 STF build.

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Erzengel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 769
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Norse_Erzengel
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2013, 03:30:58 pm »
I would go for 15/24 (with some polearm wpf). It is a great build, especially for fighting multiple enemies at once. It just needs a different playstyle. Avoid clusterfucks (teamhits are deadly) and instead either search for duels or hunt down their ranged. You will only be able to survive a few fits, but it has one huge advantage compared to higher strength builds: you can always pick your fights and avoid being ganked.

Remember that you always need to pick a weapon that fits to your build. A Scottish Sword might not be ideal, at least if it is the only weapon you use. Warhammer should be mucher better. Weapons with high cut damge (Große Messer!) might also be a very good choice.

Offline Falka

• King
  • Renown: 1257
  • Infamy: 423
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2013, 05:44:45 pm »
At lvl 32 I had this (with old wpf ofc):
(click to show/hide)

better than 15-24 according to me.

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2013, 07:50:10 pm »
At lvl 32 I had this (with old wpf ofc):
(click to show/hide)

better than 15-24 according to me.

Interesting build. I'll try 15/24 with a warhammer first and run around for a while with 4 shield and 5 WM.

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2013, 02:10:13 pm »
Interesting build. I'll try 15/24 with a warhammer first and run around for a while with 4 shield and 5 WM.

Did the 15/24 with warhammer and although the speed was nice, I had the shittiest games ever. Maybe because I was tired or something, but I had a 0,5 kdr on average (which is quite bad). The worst part of the build wasn't so much melee, but getting hit by archers. 2 hits meant a death (1 hit from an arbalest).

Falka did spark my interest with his build, but I'm going to try the inverse: 24/18. At level 32, that will leave me with 8 PS and 6 athletics instead of the other way around. Also, 59 hp coupled with some loomed medium armour and gloves makes the build more durable.
The thing I'm going to test with an STF is the 5 WM. It will most likely take me half a year of playing to get to 33 from 32, so I'll have to deal with that for a while.
5 WM and 18 agility is about 145 wpf, add in armour weight and I'm left with 120 or so effective wpf. I'm curious to see how it works out.