Author Topic: I´m so tired of all of this  (Read 5173 times)

Offline XyNox

• Marshall
  • Renown: 801
  • Infamy: 219
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Quincy Clan
  • Game nicks: Quincy_XyNox
Re: I´m so tired of all of this
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2013, 04:00:15 pm »
A good plan against 1 ranged, now add a few more. Keeping track of draw speeds and the release of several ranged is impossible. You can call dodging one or two archers skillful, but any more than that and we're talking chance and the difference between bad and good ranged.

Who sais dodging 3 ranged at once should be easy ? It is already 3 people from one team who are occupied to do nothing else than attacking you. If you could easily walk through 3 ranged without being hit the game would be even more silly than now.

I rarely move my reticule when I shoot infantry as ranged, waiting for the infantry to spazz towards the crosshair which often grants an easy headshot.

Which, the infantry player would know and predict of course if he had a bit ranged experience himself.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2013, 04:04:30 pm »
Who sais dodging 3 ranged at once should be easy ? It is already 3 people from one team who are occupied to do nothing else than attacking you. If you could easily walk through 3 ranged without being hit the game would be even more silly than now.

I didn't say it, Adamar hinted towards being ganked by ranged is preferable to being ganked by melee, and he stated that a melee gank was insta-loss because you have no opportunity to dodge or take cover.
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2013, 05:40:00 pm »
Really? So you are as likely to be hit in ten shots as you are in one shot? The probability never increases?

Time = shots fired.
Yes. The probability to get hit is roughly the same for every single shot when shot by the same archer alone and the distance stays the same. In that situation time is irrelevant.
The things that matter are the amount of archer and the distance to them.
I wasn't arguing the whole statement, merely the use of "time" wasn't correct. That's all.
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2013, 05:41:33 pm »
I didn't say it, Adamar hinted towards being ganked by ranged is preferable to being ganked by melee, and he stated that a melee gank was insta-loss because you have no opportunity to dodge or take cover.

You can't. They run you down, surround you and spam, if you're slower.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2013, 05:49:16 pm »
Yes. The probability to get hit is roughly the same for every single shot when shot by the same archer alone and the distance stays the same. In that situation time is irrelevant.
The things that matter are the amount of archer and the distance to them.
I wasn't arguing the whole statement, merely the use of "time" wasn't correct. That's all.
So if you flip a coin ten times the probability it lands heads ten times is 50%?
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #80 on: September 26, 2013, 06:00:49 pm »
+1
I didn't think there was going to be math on the test today, but I'd say the probability of each flip is 50% chance of landing on heads or tails, that doesn't mean that there's a 50% chance of it landing on heads 10 times...

But then again maybe that is the same thing I've said both times...I'm not a math nerd, and this is a vidya game forum.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2013, 06:06:00 pm »
Yes, and when you apply that to the archer-and-getting hit problem what happens? Does time (=shots fired) affect the probability of getting hit?
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #82 on: September 26, 2013, 06:13:06 pm »
What the fuck man...just what the fuck...

Fine I took the time to read what you wrote...and I think it's obvious the answer is no.  It doesn't lower your probability of being hit the more the archer shoots.  It probably raises the probability (but not due to the amount of shots being fired, just that you're closer to the archer which makes it easier to hit people zigzagging).  But after you get SO close, the probability of being hit is probably 0 if he can't pull the bow string back in time...

Are we done with the math test for today?  Can we go back to making fun of people crying about archers (or any class)?
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #83 on: September 26, 2013, 06:27:03 pm »
+2
You can't. They run you down, surround you and spam, if you're slower.

You're bad
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline Moncho

• King
  • Renown: 1127
  • Infamy: 221
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moncho, Some_Random_STF, Some_Random_Troll
« Reply #84 on: September 26, 2013, 06:34:16 pm »
Yes, and when you apply that to the archer-and-getting hit problem what happens? Does time (=shots fired) affect the probability of getting hit?

What is wrong with your argument is that you are using it for ranged but not melee:

Of course you can dodge most archers for some time by moving unpredictably - probably. That's just the thing, it doesn't matter how good you are "at dodging", it still ultimately comes down to pure chance. And the probability of getting hit randomly increases as time goes by. Not so with melee: you will only get hit if you make a mistake.
TL;DR: The bold part. Same way as with archery it starts with the amount of shots fired, so does it with the amount of melee weapon attacks realised. 

All that is below is nothing but a fancy way of saying that no matter what, you are eventually going to get hit because nobody is perfect, be it by luck, be it by tiredness (which is not mentioned but tends to lower your chance of blocking a particular hit which lowers the chance overall).

(click to show/hide)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 26, 2013, 07:00:42 pm »
+1
What is wrong with your argument is that you are using it for ranged but not melee
Because melee has no random factor. As said, you only get hit if you make a mistake. Getting hit by ranged depends more on what the archer does and the random chance created by flight time and large crosshair.

As for your math, it's correct in theory, but your probabilities are way off. Going with 95%, there's only a 57% chance of blocking ten hits in a row. The thing here is that is varies greatly from player to player because it depends on your skill, and again, you have to make a mistake to get hit. For some it's a great deal less than 57%, for some a great deal higher than 57%. And that's what makes it okay, because it's based on player skill (of both players), not chance. You are saying there is no difference between this and there being a 20% chance of getting hit per shot from X distance, no matter what you do, based on pure chance. This percentage also varies, but there is only so much you can do to decrease it: there'll still be a relatively large random chance of getting hit from a moderate distance because of how the game mechanics work.
Meaning lies as much
as in the Haiku.

Offline Adamar

• He who doesn't want to be labelled
  • Earl
  • Renown: 422
  • Infamy: 319
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 26, 2013, 08:14:17 pm »