Author Topic: Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs  (Read 706 times)

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs
« on: August 16, 2013, 08:42:08 pm »
The second Amnesia game, an indirect sequel to the first, is drawing closer to release. I guess a lot of us will be busy with Rome II when this one drops, but here's a thread so it doesn't slip under everyone's radar. It's a collaboration between the Amnesia team and the Dear Esther one, and while that may sound like an odd combination, it seems like it should be nice and spooky.

Don't.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
Re: Amnesia: A Machine for Pigs
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2013, 09:43:26 pm »
I assume it'll be good, seeing as admittedly I felt on edge the whole time I played Amneisa, infact the biggest part I remember about it was the uneasy feeling I had exploring the castle and the hairs literally standing up on my arms with all the strange and constant noises.

Offline okiN

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2013, 09:47:10 pm »
I'm tempted to make a series of streams when it comes out so we can all share the terror.
Don't.

Offline Tot.

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2013, 10:24:39 pm »
+1
I find it hard to believe that Dear Esther actually took a team of people to make.
Mods compatible with cRPG. New crosshairs, textures, sounds, yay.

Offline Polobow

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SoA
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2013, 01:04:00 am »
I assume it'll be good, seeing as admittedly I felt on edge the whole time I played Amneisa, infact the biggest part I remember about it was the uneasy feeling I had exploring the castle and the hairs literally standing up on my arms with all the strange and constant noises.

See, this is exactly what a good horror game is. It's about atmosphere, the feeling that around every corner, there's a monster that can kill you, yet it almost never actually does. Things are most scary when you never see it.

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2013, 08:01:40 am »
See, this is exactly what a good horror game is. It's about atmosphere, the feeling that around every corner, there's a monster that can kill you, yet it almost never actually does. Things are most scary when you never see it.

That's good horror in general. Its why horror movies suck now with trying to over do gore and mayhem. Its all about the suspense and apprehension. Atmosphere is a good way to put it as well.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline okiN

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2013, 01:19:23 pm »
+1
Yeah, way before I even ran into any monsters in Amnesia and was just exploring places and reading notes I was constantly jittery, at once expecting something terrible to happen at any given moment and really hoping it wouldn't. The Penumbra series had that too. With most horror games it's just... eh. You don't get that feeling.
Don't.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2013, 01:27:26 pm »
Yeah, way before I even ran into any monsters in Amnesia and was just exploring places and reading notes I was constantly jittery, at once expecting something terrible to happen at any given moment and really hoping it wouldn't. The Penumbra series had that too. With most horror games it's just... eh. You don't get that feeling.

jumpscare-whoring.avi

I agree that atmosphere is the most important, having annoying jumpscares all the time is unimaginative.

But part of the real horror for me is, that you have no weapons.

When I played at a friend's, I was like "dafuq you sissy head, pick up something and defend yourself!"
« Last Edit: August 17, 2013, 01:39:23 pm by Christo »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!