Author Topic: [Kickstarter] DwarfCorp.  (Read 2095 times)

Offline Molly

• King
  • Renown: 1860
  • Infamy: 693
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • For the glorious Khorin...
  • Game nicks: Molly
[Kickstarter] DwarfCorp.
« on: August 08, 2013, 02:52:33 pm »
Seriously thinking about backing this. It looks like a lot of fun...

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1078333633/dwarfcorp

« Last Edit: August 08, 2013, 03:19:35 pm by benkei »
When west germany annexed east germany, nobody moved a finger too.

Offline okiN

• Marshall
  • Renown: 924
  • Infamy: 129
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: [Kickstarter] DwarfCorp.
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2013, 05:29:22 pm »
It looks like a dumbed-down Dwarf Fortress ripoff.
Don't.

Offline AntiBlitz

• Duke
  • Renown: 636
  • Infamy: 187
  • cRPG Player
  • American Scum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2013, 05:50:10 pm »
It looks like a dumbed-down Dwarf Fortress ripoff.

good, as sad as it is to rip on dwarf fortress it needs to be updated, i never played it back in the day, so attempting to stare at 8's, and 0's and shit blinking around my screen like its the matrix is hard to put up with.  I'm normally not one for gfx being great, but its really hard to want to play it if your new to it and it looks like it will require work to play, rather then look fun.

Offline okiN

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2013, 06:12:18 pm »
Approachability is all well and good, but I'm still waiting to see any of these wannabes come even close to the level of depth and variety DF has.
Don't.

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2013, 07:59:07 pm »
Well, DF is just a copy either if wanna look at it that way.
It's DungeonKeeper and Settlers and I am sure there are 2 more games I could name that did something before DF did it. That's a - excuse my words but - pretty stupid argument from your side.

Besides, if anything then compare it with Minecraft for the looks and DungeonKeeper for the gameplay.

I get the impression you were like "Ah, look, Dwarves... yeah, cheap rip-off". That's of course the proper way to think not like "Oh, look, seems like we as gamers have a new genre on our hands and there is something different coming up." Guess it's not hardcore enough to be cool or - godly entity helps us - fun.

Honestly, I think DF is shit for it's gameplay and graphics.

Offline Berserkadin

• Duke
  • Renown: 592
  • Infamy: 145
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: -
  • Game nicks: Krewl_The_Urist_Fox
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2013, 09:38:28 pm »
good, as sad as it is to rip on dwarf fortress it needs to be updated, i never played it back in the day, so attempting to stare at 8's, and 0's and shit blinking around my screen like its the matrix is hard to put up with.  I'm normally not one for gfx being great, but its really hard to want to play it if your new to it and it looks like it will require work to play, rather then look fun.

Use a good graphical tileset then.

(click to show/hide)

Just download the Lazy Newb Pack http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=59026.0
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Largg

• Earl
  • Renown: 321
  • Infamy: 36
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2013, 09:56:33 pm »
+2
There's also a game called Gnomoria which is more or less also a DF copy. Not too bad, still in development. Definitely simpler than DF though.

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2013, 10:25:44 pm »
+3
The problem with DF was/is not so much the graphics as the UI and the UX. It was just impossible to get into the game without reading lots and lots of documentation. The learning curve is steep, and not steep as in fun, but steep as in studying. That has nothing to do with the graphics.

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2013, 10:37:52 pm »
To say graphics isn't part of a problem nowadays is kinda naive.
I mean, seriously, who is willing to pay for an ascii game with the current possibilities of modern chips?

Same thing with Dark Souls. Everyone seems to be like "Wow... So difficult and hardcore." without realizing that it's difficult cuz the controls are huge mess.
DF... So difficult and hardcore without realizing that it's only difficult cuz of the absent UI...

And then saying everything else is dumbed down cuz it's trying to improve on an idea... now that's plain ignorant.

Offline Berserkadin

• Duke
  • Renown: 592
  • Infamy: 145
    • View Profile
  • Faction: -
  • Game nicks: Krewl_The_Urist_Fox
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2013, 12:01:38 am »
The problem with DF was/is not so much the graphics as the UI and the UX. It was just impossible to get into the game without reading lots and lots of documentation. The learning curve is steep, and not steep as in fun, but steep as in studying. That has nothing to do with the graphics.
Took me 1 max 2 days to learn the basics, eventuelly you just get immersed in the world and learn as you go. Totally worth it imo.

Offline TheAppleSauceMan

• Duke
  • Renown: 553
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • dear god I hate throwers
    • View Profile
    • Look and you'll enjoy.
  • Faction: Dracul, RUFF RYDERS
  • Game nicks: Dracul_AppleSauce_FieldBauss | Wiff Khalifa | U_Having_A_Giggle_M8
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2013, 08:25:00 am »
+1
Same thing with Dark Souls. Everyone seems to be like "Wow... So difficult and hardcore." without realizing that it's difficult cuz the controls are huge mess.

You had me till' you said that lol. Dark Souls controls were fine on console, they were bad on the PC port, but that's why it warned you to get a controller, much smoother with one. I don't think the controls are what provide it's difficulty at all.

On topic though, I like the idea. Some people (myself included), don't have the time or motivation to study just to play a game, I have enough studying to do as is. I like this idea of a simplified version that I could actually learn to play without having to do a bunch of reading just to learn how to do so.
I'm rock, nerf paper, scissors is fine. Welcome to c-RPG.

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2013, 09:55:30 am »
Well, I got a bit of a nerdrage there but what annoyed me about Okin's comment is the comparison between DwarfCorp and DwarfFortress when there isn't even much of a similarity between them except the theme of Dwarves...

They are obviously different games, aren't they?

PS: I am backing this :P

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2013, 10:18:47 am »
To say graphics isn't part of a problem nowadays is kinda naive.
I mean, seriously, who is willing to pay for an ascii game with the current possibilities of modern chips?

Pay maybe not, but play yes. Lots of ascii or ascii-like game have some really good features and unique gameplay.

Offline Molly

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2013, 11:36:30 am »
Pay maybe not, but play yes. Lots of ascii or ascii-like game have some really good features and unique gameplay.
I won't deny that. I played this Candy game and the other one with the dark room too (stroke that fire like a pro whore). And enjoyed it for a while. Though you can't compare any of those games with people on Kickstarter, right?
Anyone who starts a campaign there is looking to create something that people are willing to pay for. Well, mostly at least. I think I've seen a few non-profit things going on but those seem to be, at least in the games section, to be the very small minority.

I am not someone who says graphics beat all. Obviously, otherwise I wouldn't play crpg/warband :wink:

Offline okiN

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2013, 12:12:55 pm »
Well, I got a bit of a nerdrage there but what annoyed me about Okin's comment is the comparison between DwarfCorp and DwarfFortress when there isn't even much of a similarity between them except the theme of Dwarves...

There's a great deal of similarity, you're just either in denial or ignorant about DF. Or maybe I'm missing something. Aside from graphics and UI, what key concepts does this game have that don't exist in DF? I didn't see any in the video.
Don't.