Author Topic: East vs. West - A Hearts of Iron Game  (Read 1398 times)

Offline Artyem

• King
  • Renown: 1218
  • Infamy: 264
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • SODOM Shaman
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul / Raven / SODOMY
  • Game nicks: Artyem
East vs. West - A Hearts of Iron Game
« on: August 13, 2013, 09:50:52 am »
Being the massive fucking Heart of Iron fan that I am, this game has me shitting bricks of anticipation.

http://www.paradoxplaza.com/games/east-vs-west

The arms race intensifies as East and West fights for global dominance. The threat of World War III can mean the end of the world as we know it. You must guide your nation through diplomacy, politics and military actions and face the test of the times by any means at your disposal.

Description

The RTS/war-game East vs. West: A Hearts of Iron Game takes place during the dangerous Cold War era between 1946-1991. This Cold War experience is crafted jointly by BL-Logic in collaboration with Paradox Development Studio. East vs. West: A Hearts of Iron Game, based on the Clausewitz engine allows you to relive the diplomatic, economical and military tension of the Cold War in this grand strategy game.

Currently the below features are planned:

Features

Choose your game style: Lead any nation in the Post-World War II Era and expand your nations influence while the tension rises
Take control by all means: Use Diplomacy, Politics, Economy and Espionage to influence the policies of other nations or just outsmart the others in the new economical system.
Spy on your opponents: Use of your superspies from a collection of Spy Cards
Get support from United Nations: If all else fails bring your issues in front of the UN General Assembly and hope for a resolution to pass
Feel the pressure when the Doomsday clock rises: Do you push another issue to get more prestige, or will you back down to prevent an escalation to WWIII?
Take part of the arms race: Fight globally for Ideological Domination and challenge the dynamic military AI. Wage war, secure resources and make sure to control your military production to prepared for the worst possible outcome – a global nuclear war.
Explore a flexible technology system - Research new technologies to give your nation technological superiority and nuclear supremacy. Take part in the exiting space race or try to develop your own nuclear defense systems.
Control the land, air, sea and beyond: Explore the Strategic warfare system to crush your enemies if the situation arises or use guerillas to do the job for you. Freely customize your ships for your own personal strategies in the brand new naval editor.
Relive history or change it: Experience historical accuracy that offers unparalleled level of freedom of choice and a large re-playability value
Multiplayer: Battle against your friends in multiplayer for up to 32 players and don't miss the chance to nuke your friends into oblivion
Customize your game: Mod in detail to create your own ultimate Cold War game

(click to show/hide)

Really looking forward to this one, usually when we play Hearts of Iron 3 Larry always has to be the Soviet Union.  My preferred nation is Brazil, because when you're backed by the entire Comintern faction you can pretty much do whatever the fuck you want.  This'll only make it better, the entirety of South America won't be protected by the U.S and Africa will split into a shit ton of tiny nations.

I can't wait.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Sordida asinum latronibus sumus

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
Re: East vs. West - A Hearts of Iron Game
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2013, 12:01:10 pm »
Hearts of Iron was too hardcore for me D:

Whenever I tried to get into it, I couldn't do anything.

EUIII was easier to get into, lol.

Pretty sure this won't be any easier :D

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Artyem

• King
  • SODOM Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2013, 08:07:28 am »
+3
Hearts of Iron was too hardcore for me D:

Whenever I tried to get into it, I couldn't do anything.

EUIII was easier to get into, lol.

Pretty sure this won't be any easier :D

(click to show/hide)

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2013, 08:14:16 am »
I've always liked Victoria and Hearts of Iron better than EU games, really hate how warfare works in EU.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2013, 06:56:18 pm »
(click to show/hide)

where is total war on that chart?

Calling EUIII child's play is a bit of an understatement  :mrgreen:

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2013, 10:18:01 pm »
+2
where is total war on that chart?

Calling EUIII child's play is a bit of an understatement  :mrgreen:

Any Total War must be somewhere between impregnated ovula and foetus on that scale.

I prefer CK over EU over Victoria over HOI personally, I don't really like modern settings because they lack funky microgeopolitics. Already in Victoria the whole game feels like lots of tension building up and nothing really happening, unless you specifically choose a nation in a disputed zone, such as south america. When you play a big european power you spend years doing nothing but building up then it's one big war. IMO the wargame aspect of paradox grand strategy games isn't good enough to support a whole game like that. In CK2 you can control a square inch of land and declare war to another square inch of land because one of your courtiers is the cousin of a half-brother of the mother of their leader, how awesome is that ?

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2013, 10:19:14 pm »
One thing that I didn't really like about CK first, is exactly that.

It's like a bloody medieval soap opera. lol

Might give it another shot sometime.

Offline Artyem

• King
  • SODOM Shaman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2013, 09:48:50 am »
Haven't played CK2 because none of my friends play it.

I've been playing EU4 and I feel like they watered it down even more, expansion is 10x easier and cheaper.  Also played some more Hearts of Iron III.  Playing as the USA and cooperating with my friend who's the Soviet Union, using spies to bring our other friend (South Africa) and a few other countries into the Comintern.

JAPAN'S GOIN DOWN

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2013, 10:52:28 am »
Any Total War must be somewhere between impregnated ovula and foetus on that scale.

I prefer CK over EU over Victoria over HOI personally, I don't really like modern settings because they lack funky microgeopolitics. Already in Victoria the whole game feels like lots of tension building up and nothing really happening, unless you specifically choose a nation in a disputed zone, such as south america. When you play a big european power you spend years doing nothing but building up then it's one big war. IMO the wargame aspect of paradox grand strategy games isn't good enough to support a whole game like that. In CK2 you can control a square inch of land and declare war to another square inch of land because one of your courtiers is the cousin of a half-brother of the mother of their leader, how awesome is that ?
I disagree. Wargame aspect in EU is, indeed, pretty meh, but not so in Victoria or HoI games. It is very possible to win against larger armies, if you use your forces correctly. And victories matter a lot more, as it is a lot harder for countries to recover from devastating losses in these games.
And, even though a single war won't see you almost annexing another large country, at most netting you a region or two, it is extremely satisfying to transform a small/medium sized country into an empire, as you don't just take huge chunks of territory.
Overall, things that happen in Victoria seem to have a lot more weight to them and stuff happens a lot more progressively, which i love.

Offline Armpit_Sweat

• High Lord of the Spam
  • King
  • Renown: 1417
  • Infamy: 154
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Armpit_Sweat, My_horses_name_is_Rebecca
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2013, 11:14:01 am »

Spam at The Temple of Spam

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2013, 02:50:56 pm »
I disagree. Wargame aspect in EU is, indeed, pretty meh, but not so in Victoria or HoI games. It is very possible to win against larger armies, if you use your forces correctly. And victories matter a lot more, as it is a lot harder for countries to recover from devastating losses in these games.
And, even though a single war won't see you almost annexing another large country, at most netting you a region or two, it is extremely satisfying to transform a small/medium sized country into an empire, as you don't just take huge chunks of territory.
Overall, things that happen in Victoria seem to have a lot more weight to them and stuff happens a lot more progressively, which i love.

Maybe I just don't play these games the same way. I like to play without ever reloading saves, my problem with Victoria and HOI is that a single wrong turn can be your end and playing after a defeat is really frustrating. But really the first reason is that I like a starting situation in which there are fucktons of small independant countries. I agree the wargame aspects are much better in Vic and HOI but still in Vic defeating the AI is about luring them into attacking high defense regions.

(click to show/hide)

There's very little you can control in a Total War. I'm not saying TW games are easy, I'm saying they are not complicated.