Poll

Spawn MOTF early in rounds to give infantry an objective to fight for?

Yes
66 (75%)
No
16 (18.2%)
Other - see my post
6 (6.8%)

Total Members Voted: 88

Author Topic: Change battle to 'conquest' mode by spawning MOTF early in rounds  (Read 2523 times)

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
Re: Change battle to 'conquest' mode by spawning MOTF early in rounds
« Reply #30 on: July 15, 2013, 05:12:25 pm »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Vodner

• Duke
  • Renown: 526
  • Infamy: 73
  • cRPG Player
  • SaulCanner
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: SaulCanner
« Reply #31 on: July 16, 2013, 08:24:24 pm »
+3
It wouldn't be the end all be all solution for battle servers but it would be a nice step in the right direction. Most rounds are over or near over by two minutes so having the flags spawn would change nothing.
In my experience, most rounds are decided in about two minutes, and then take another two minutes to play out while two people hiding in a building try to pad their K:D versus twenty opponents, before inevitably dying.

I find this doubly frustrating, because when I'm in the same position I'll go out of my way to charge the bulk of the enemy to get the next round started, since I'm certain nobody wants to watch me try to farm valor.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Strategus Councillor
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 16, 2013, 10:38:00 pm »
Farm that valor son :P if I know my team's already lost the round (it's 3 vs 20) I'll usually do my best to rack up my score to get valor...

I won't go out of my way to hide or ride around without engaging people, I try not to draw out the rounds either if I'm the last one or two guys left, but I will try my hardest to get valor
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Xeen

• Baron
  • Renown: 84
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
« Reply #33 on: July 16, 2013, 10:42:17 pm »
+2
I think the big thing to remember here, is that they could balance things accordingly.  I feel archers should really have the ammo-weight reduced considerably at the very least, and at least the charger horse variants should be able to run over more than a few people at a time like they used to(these things were justifiably nerfed for current battle in my opinion).  Having a functional motf would give the devs a logistical constant to balance around.

Having played in servers with an early motf set in both scrim and casual settings, I can testify that ranged would still play a huge role in inflicting initial casualties and extending their attack power to the targets that really need to be hit, the latter of which I think should really be a much more important part of being ranged than it currently is.  Battle in it's current state, quite often, is so much more about locking as many people out of interaction as possible than it is anything else.  When this topic comes up, this seems to be the most common criticism, that "you just don't want ranged to be able to do anything".  Quite the contrary, I want ranged to play a much larger role than it currently does, not just "don't let anyone come near me, THE END".  I also don't think people realize how effective flanking ranged is while a perhaps smaller, but hopefully more defensive infantry group denies cap.

Seriously, if something like this were to be implemented, a huge group of my real life friends would almost definitely start playing again.  I have a feeling that many people feel the same way.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #34 on: July 16, 2013, 11:14:53 pm »
+1 GIEF US CONQUEST  :!:  :lol:
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 17, 2013, 12:01:18 am »
+4
I'm just gonna post my 99 +1's thread suggestion here.

Tydeus, Urist, instead of adding super street fighter ultra cancel combos for invincibility frame rolls, why not try implementing a little ambitious, but simple new gamemode with all the assets available, for fun, and as a massive breath of fresh air for the community?

Chance to show off ya'll talent, and man would we all appreciate it.

http://forum.meleegaming.com/suggestions-corner/conquest-gametype-combine-strategus-siege-and-battle-into-1-bad-assed-mode/msg596353/#msg596353
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Dalfador

• Marshall
  • Renown: 898
  • Infamy: 81
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the White Stallion
  • Game nicks: Dalfador
« Reply #36 on: July 17, 2013, 05:24:12 am »
sounds cool, a lot of the maps would have to be modified or removed from the rotation, or add some new more balanced ones for this gametype

Maybe some day they'll call us heroes.

Offline Templar_Steevee

• Duke
  • Renown: 613
  • Infamy: 128
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew-pew for victory!!!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Steevee, Templar_catchArabbit, Gangtroll
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2013, 09:17:21 pm »
I voted No, but it could be funny to know where most ppl are trying to go, find a nice spot and nail them with arrows. A group of standing close to each other players is a really good shooting target. There will always be a few unaware players that will notice me after I`ll put an arrow in their head  :twisted:
Archer forever :D

Offline Miwiw

• King
  • Renown: 1267
  • Infamy: 525
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Miwiw
« Reply #38 on: July 21, 2013, 09:41:57 pm »
I wouldn't want to lose battle mode. Playing battle since beta and cannot do without. :P
Miwiw_HRE - Two Handed
Trade with me

Offline Memento_Mori

• Count
  • Renown: 187
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • I use these forums to hook up with hot ladies
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Memento_Mori, Sengo_Muramasa, Born_Of_Osiris,
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2013, 07:27:24 pm »
+2
I voted No, but it could be funny to know where most ppl are trying to go, find a nice spot and nail them with arrows. A group of standing close to each other players is a really good shooting target. There will always be a few unaware players that will notice me after I`ll put an arrow in their head  :twisted:

You can already do this, on my horse archer I rush out every round and put at least 3 arrows into the mass amount of people as they're walking out of spawn. sdjkfn(or however you spell it) does this practically every round on his horse crossbow. It's surprisingly effective, people don't expect arrows/bolts to the face a few seconds after they spawn.

In battle atm it's not about knowing where people are going to go, you know that if you sit on a hill the entire round they'll eventually have to come and kill you in order to finish the round, or wait around doing nothing for MOTF.

Snowy village map almost always has people camp that giant mountain/hill that the one team spawns beside. After a few rounds of camping-butt-rape people want to camp the "xp barn" to counter the mountain/hill campers. It turns into a very long and boring map.

MOTF isn't reliable atm, takes too long most of the time for it to be an effective counter to these incredibly boring playstyles and leads to people just sitting around waiting for it or charging in to have some fun before dying and waiting in spec for the circus act of a map to end.

-edit-

I feel adding this would probably make the game feel a little more gamey/arcadey since everyone would be expecting MOTF and pretty much forced to fight in certain locations. Anyway this last bit I'm just trying to say I don't dislike how battle is now, I like the freedom of being able to use different tactics and parts of the map but sometimes those different tactics or parts of the map don't make for the most exciting gameplay for everyone. I think that's what I wanted to add to this.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 07:36:23 pm by Memento_Mori »

Offline Zekerage

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ZyloRage
« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2013, 01:01:09 pm »
+1
I suggested this exact thing nearly 2 years ago. I feel some of the possible problems/issues/concerns were addressed/discussed in the thread. While it does seem that MOTF spawns more frequently now, it's definitely nowhere near where it needs to be.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Strategus Councillor
  • Welp
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 29, 2013, 04:05:46 pm »
Bampity bamp bamp
(click to show/hide)
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Jona

• Balancer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 376
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • OG Agi Whore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Jona, Siegafried
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2013, 01:45:22 am »
I'm all for this, as long as we still have plenty of time to just run at each other in the usual chaotic manner. That's half the fun! The way you worded it, saying that the flags should appear very early, makes me unsure of just how early you would want. As of now they spawn after 4-ish mins, I think. I would say have them appear after 2.5 or 3 mins. I still want to have plenty of time to fight randomly. And not to mention that sometimes searching for people (when its maybe 15 v 15.. not 20 v 1) can sometimes be enjoyable... like the times when you fight on the frontlines, push through.. keep killing and then turn around and see that you are the sole survivor of that massacre.. all alone... rest of your team somewhere else.. and all you see are a few stragglers on the opposing team... etc, etc. Idk, I personally find it fun, whether or not anyone else does, idk. I just wouldn't want an early MOTF to ruin those experiences.

Also, in case you specified a certain time in some later post, I apologize, only read the first few posts here.

"I'll have my lance aimed at Jona's knees and he'll jump up, run up my lance and kill me." -Dalfador

Offline karasu

• King
  • Renown: 1751
  • Infamy: 316
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • D̶͎̳͒́͗͋ẹ͕̲̠̳̄̃͂ͤ͑ͮṃ̮͎̗̦̏̿͊ͤi̥̪̼͕ͦ̀̊̐ȗ̘rͩ͋̅̊gͭ̿̋
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2013, 02:01:35 am »

Offline CrazyCracka420