Author Topic: [Suspicion] Network problems  (Read 1853 times)

Offline Byrdi

• Earl
  • Renown: 489
  • Infamy: 59
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Byrdi, Swiss Chocolate, and lots of other alts
  • IRC nick: Byrdi
[Suspicion] Network problems
« on: December 16, 2012, 08:39:32 pm »
+2
I have been using the beta client for quite a long time now and I did not have any network problems with it before the public release.

But shortly after the WSE2 beta client was released, my ping started spiking and was constantly atleast 7 ms higher (when it wasn't spiking).
So I contacted my ISP and they thought I might be because I was trying to use a lot more sessions than my router configuration allowed me to.
They increased the cap from 2000 to 6000 (ish), and they spikes have stopped. But my ping is still higher than before (36 instead of 29 - I know its not something to whine about).

Also these network problems were happing on every computer in my network and not just when I was playing cRPG.

Anyway I didnt think that WSE2 had anything to do with it untill my friend tried it for the first time and his ping went crazy just like mine had.
We both live in Copenhagen and probably use the same line connection and from what I am told; the network in Denmark is really shitty compared to many other countries.

So could it be that you made some changes that require a lot more network sessions and that this might cause problems for some internets?

Well thank you for all the work you have done and as I probably have said before: I love the many additions the beta client has brought

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
Re: [Suspicion] Network problems
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2012, 09:12:15 pm »
What do you mean by network sessions?

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2012, 09:30:58 pm »
Simultaneous TCP connections ? 2000 doesn't make sense except if you have like 100 browser windows opened.

Offline al_benz

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pecores
  • Game nicks: piu
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2012, 10:34:33 pm »
same for me +20 ms since wse2 and i live in france

Offline cmp

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2012, 12:01:32 am »
Simultaneous TCP connections ? 2000 doesn't make sense except if you have like 100 browser windows opened.

Well, that also doesn't make sense because clients don't use TCP connections. :D
There might be a slight UDP connection spam (iMaxNumServerSearchConnections in config file, limited to 16 by default) when looking for servers, but it shouldn't persist after a server is joined.
Apart from that it could be a bug or maybe I just didn't understand OP well enough.

Offline Angellore

• Count
  • Renown: 275
  • Infamy: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2012, 12:43:00 am »
+1
It's not WSE2 fault, it's probably some international network traffic problem.

I always had 36-39 ms ping to crpg, now this ping increased to 54-57.
It's no matter if I use WSE or WSE2, it's no matter if I check ping in game or in console.

Right now trace route to crpg server looks like this:
(click to show/hide)
Few weeks ago all was fine, ping was 36-39 ms, now it's terrible, and my connection is same.

I still have good, below 40, ping to Warband native IG_Battlegrounds server:
(click to show/hide)

But my ping to Nditions duel server increased as well:
(click to show/hide)

So it looks like some deeper problem than new WSE version.
Something changed, but I don't think we can do anything about that. Maybe it will be fixed soon or maybe not.
I never had such high pings to European based servers. Hopefully pings will decrease again sooner or later.

Offline Byrdi

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2012, 08:06:24 am »
Well, that also doesn't make sense because clients don't use TCP connections. :D
There might be a slight UDP connection spam (iMaxNumServerSearchConnections in config file, limited to 16 by default) when looking for servers, but it shouldn't persist after a server is joined.
Apart from that it could be a bug or maybe I just didn't understand OP well enough.

I am just qouting my ISP supporter, she seemed pretty certain about it (too many session being the problem).

(click to show/hide)

So it looks like some deeper problem than new WSE version.
Something changed, but I don't think we can do anything about that. Maybe it will be fixed soon or maybe not.
I never had such high pings to European based servers. Hopefully pings will decrease again sooner or later.

Sounds like this might have something to do with it, just doesnt explain why my friend first got his ping problems yesterday.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 08:10:31 am by Byrdi »

Offline Angellore

• Count
  • Renown: 275
  • Infamy: 52
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2012, 11:47:55 am »
I don't know about you Byrdi, but since today, my ping finally went back to normal:
(click to show/hide)
I hope it will stay this way, because playing with almost 60 ms ping was just terrible experience!
Side note: I can't even imagine how great and easy is to play with 20 ms or even less. Those people are really lucky ones!

Offline Byrdi

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2012, 12:24:20 pm »
I don't know about you Byrdi, but since today, my ping finally went back to normal:
(click to show/hide)
I hope it will stay this way, because playing with almost 60 ms ping was just terrible experience!
Side note: I can't even imagine how great and easy is to play with 20 ms or even less. Those people are really lucky ones!

My ping is still higher than before, but I am confident that Cmp will have a look at this and see if he can find out what the problem is (if there is one).

And I can manage with this ping as it is. But going from say 60 to 80 would probably be a pain.

Offline cmp

• Supreme Overlord
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2012, 01:29:01 pm »
I doubt the ping problem is related to WSE2 and/or solvable by us. It's probably on our server hoster or your provider's side.