Author Topic: Finnian Tiercel's Texture Modding Guide  (Read 10722 times)

Offline Lethwin Far Seeker

• Earl
  • Renown: 363
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Ward of Mithrim
  • Game nicks: The House of Tiercel
Finnian Tiercel's Texture Modding Guide
« on: December 06, 2012, 04:14:15 am »
+2
So I am an addicted texture modder.  I have spent more time in several days modding colours of armours and stuff than actually playing the game.  Texture modding can be very tedious, but unfortunately, the greatest consumption of time is used in actually finding the texture file (midst hundreds) for the item you are looking for.

Therefore this thread shall serve mainly anyone who wants to mod a certain item, but can't find the file.

Why is it so difficult?  Because for some inane reason, the developers of cRPG and the original Warband didn't label things in a fashion easily discernible to modders.  For example, the Druzhizna Mail Shirt isn't going to be called that, but rather something like "drz_mail.dds"  and some items are grouped together without any descriptive file names.

If you haven't ever done any texture modding, today is a great day to start!  Simply download a dds (direct draw surface) into the plug-ins folder of your image editing software (I use Gimp), and open up the files in the texture folder of Warband or cRPG.

Note: I do not use texture modding to give me an advantage in-game in anyway and I highly discourage doing so.  Any texture modding should be purely aesthetic.

So if you have any illusive texture files, post in this thread and I will see if I can help you find their name (search using CTRL-F).

Finnian Tiercel
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Lethwin Far Seeker

• Earl
  • Renown: 363
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Ward of Mithrim
  • Game nicks: The House of Tiercel
Re: Finnian Tiercel's Texture Modding Guide
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2012, 04:59:10 am »
For starters, I am personally having difficulty finding the texture files for the "Rondel Dagger" and the "Padded Armor".

If anyone can or has found these, please share!

Offline cordella

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • lol i stab u
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hounds of Chulainn
  • Game nicks: Cordella, Aine Coileain, Sesudera, Jesikema, Namibabwe
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2012, 07:05:25 pm »
+1
The tool OpenBRF is the quickest way to find textures corresponding to any particular mesh/model, although it can still be a bit of a hunt to find the mesh you're looking for at any time.
Run it and open the various .brf files inside the Warband/cRPG Resorce folders—which contain collections of meshes and the texture information attached to them—and you can see the items fully rendered.

While the resource files may or may not be well-named, the meshes contained within generally are.  After a bit of digging I found the rondel dagger inside cRPG/Resorce/medieval_equipment_crpg.brf and its associated texture weapons3.  This is the Native Warband texture weapons3.dds which can be edited like any other.

One advantage of OpenBRF is that for meshes that use generic textures such as the above, you can use OpenBRF to change the texture to a copy of itself so that only that one mesh is changed, i.e. make a copy of weapons3.dds into the cRPG Textures folder, rename and modify it, and then change the texture associated with the rondel dagger inside medieval_equipment_crpg.brf to yor modified .dds.

I've yet to find the padded armor.  I'm guessing it's a Native armor but I haven't yet found it in the resource files.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 07:57:27 pm by cordella »

Blue; fire hydrant; no agenda; thirty-three; in the morning.

Offline no_rules_just_play

• King
  • Renown: 1401
  • Infamy: 384
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE; Peasants United; Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: CapraAegagrusHircus_HRE; no_rules_just_play_HRE
  • IRC nick: norulesjustplay
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2012, 08:26:01 pm »
YOU ARE THE MAN!

the community is looking for someone to finish the work of this great man:
http://forum.meleegaming.com/suggestions-corner/new-heirloom-models-(and-web-gui)/

This is exactly what you do, but finalboss stopped suddenly and didnt finish his work. Could you finish it?

btw people started a clan that will probably give you cRPG gold if you do this for them. The point about the clan is to pay modders that finish undone work in the mod. I'm sure this will both revive the clan and the heirloompack.
http://c-rpg.net/index.php?page=ladderoverviewclans#!?page=ladderinfoclandetail&id=1512
If you would do this you would make 70% of the cRPG community happy as this mod is one of the most used mods ever.
btw im not sure if the link works, if it doesnt i can give you an alternative link (just pm me)

thanks!

no_rules