Author Topic: Guild Wars 2 introduces gear progression  (Read 9986 times)

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Guild Wars 2 introduces gear progression
« on: November 13, 2012, 07:48:34 am »
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/linsey-murdock-unveils-new-high-end-ascended-gear/

So basically they're catering to the people crying they want gear progression and going against what they kept promising (no gear progression). In before the holy trinity is added.

Offline Havoco

• Duke
  • Renown: 538
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Hospookfans
  • Game nicks: Hospitaller_Havoc
  • IRC nick: Havoco
Re: Guild Wars 2 introduces gear progression
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2012, 07:51:55 am »
+3
Excuse me, I think I gotta puke.

I shouldn't have even bought GW2.
Pock gobblers

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2012, 07:54:03 am »
Excuse me, I think I gotta puke.

I shouldn't have even bought GW2.

Exactly my thoughts right now. Not that I was playing at all the last 2 months or so. But I feel so cheated. Always admired ArenaNET for pulling off what they promised, but this is just throwing horse shit in our faces.

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • Renown: 275
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Billy_Whitmore, Andre_Whitmore, Gideon_Stargrave
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2012, 09:09:00 am »
Typical mmo progression. Few months after launch population goes down and the only ones left are the hardcore grinders so they cater to them with raids, pre-raid gear etc.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Most of us are currently living off relatives, friends, parttime-jobs or savings, to be able to work as much and cheaply as possible.

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2012, 09:27:57 am »
+2
One thing that I find a bit annoying in GW2 is that the normal gear / loot you find have the same skin. Its like every class have 3 sets of skins on each armor type. Like there's almost no armor variation unless you get some of the more high-end gear. Which looks pritty coo.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2012, 10:05:12 am »
+2
One thing that I find a bit annoying in GW2 is that the normal gear / loot you find have the same skin. Its like every class have 3 sets of skins on each armor type. Like there's almost no armor variation unless you get some of the more high-end gear. Which looks pritty coo.

I agree. I had the exact same staff model for the entire leveling process from 1-80, that's just fucking lazy.

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2012, 02:21:26 pm »
The main things that were going to replace gear treadmilling were just not good enough imo. The combat was fun for a while but got quite repetitive and lacks a lot of the good things GW1 had. I played Monk almost exclusively in GW1 in PVE and PVP, but the closest thing in GW2 (support guardian) just feels quite boring after a while. The sPVP hardly interested me at all, and I played GW1 virtually solely for the pvp. The World PVP got boring too, and the character pop in and general game design made it a huge zerg fest.

I played solidly for over a month and tried really hard to keep interested after I finished everything the game had to offer in PVE. I just didn't feel like I could repeat content over and over, and no amount of gear treadmill will change that for me, but might do for the ones left in the game.

Quite negative, but for a pve MMO it did a lot of things well. I like how its not just a treadmill and stayed interesting for as long as it did. I like the exploration part of it, how you naturally work with other players you randomly meet. I liked the bosses, especially the dragons or other big bosses the first few times. I would definitely recommend it but its not a long term sort of game imo, but worth playing through for a month or 2
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2012, 02:56:40 pm »
+2

Yeah that hacked me off. From 1-80 I used maybe 3 different armour skins. Was expecting lots but never saw any.

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • Renown: 604
  • Infamy: 327
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2012, 12:31:05 am »
So basically they're catering to the people crying they want gear progression and going against what they kept promising (no gear progression). In before the holy trinity is added.

I don't understand what this means. Also, what is in before?

Yeah that hacked me off. From 1-80 I used maybe 3 different armour skins. Was expecting lots but never saw any.

Lol, I've had like 3 different skins of armor, I'm level 60...something, and I think that's a lot of armors. I guess it's because I'm used to the Guild Wars 1... I didn't really expect to go through many armors. And the ones I want to keep just add space that I don't have, so I'm basically using other characters as banks :x

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2012, 07:39:01 am »
+1
I don't understand what this means. Also, what is in before?

Basically ArenaNET kept saying how they are striving to be different. Two of the many unique things about it were that there is no gear treadmill and no holy trinity. For gear treadmill/progression this means that at level 80 you have a certain item power level to reach, in GW2's case that is Exotic. They said that once you're at exotic (which shouldn't be hard to reach), you're at the same power level as the rest of the people. There is no more stat improvements above that and you can safely go away from the game for 6 months, come back and still do new PvE without worrying about gear.

Now what they're doing is introducing gear treadmill endgame, which is basically going against what they said how the game will be. Now the game WILL have gear progression above Exotic and as they said, it's going to continue progressing so basically the PvE endgame will be about grinding gear for better stats, just like oh so many MMOs out there (like WoW).

"In before the holy trinity is added" is a phrase which means that you're kind of excepting them to add holy trinity to the game soon as well.

Lol, I've had like 3 different skins of armor, I'm level 60...something, and I think that's a lot of armors. I guess it's because I'm used to the Guild Wars 1... I didn't really expect to go through many armors. And the ones I want to keep just add space that I don't have, so I'm basically using other characters as banks :x

Trust me, this is not a lot. In other MMORPGS you'd be changing your weapon and armor skins every 3-7 levels I reckon, if not even faster.

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2012, 10:16:23 am »
Wait, so they are adding better / superior gear with better stats in PvP? Or ... ?

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2012, 10:19:38 am »
+1
Wait, so they are adding better / superior gear with better stats in PvP? Or ... ?

sPvP is unaffected afaik. WvW is though, because it is using PvE gear (pve gear is getting progression).

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2012, 10:23:33 am »
sPvP is unaffected afaik. WvW is though, because it is using PvE gear (pve gear is getting progression).

Ah okay, never been a fan of WvW anyway, I find it boring. Mainly because of the battles feels like you are just spamming your attacks switching targets with tab as you go by hoping to get that last kill. PvP is more 1 v 1 / 2 v 2. Think I'll give WvW a new chance when I start playing again, only did 2 matches so far, where I quit after 20 min :P

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • Renown: 604
  • Infamy: 327
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2012, 12:49:58 am »
Eh, I don't care if I get max armor and come back 6 months later and there is some better armor. I find that armor barely even matters in this game... sure a few more points of armor, but I won't even notice it. Same with conditions and stuff... there's so much HP and all that that you don't even need to worry about conditions, and they also last so little time. The Guild Wars 1 way was better, but that's off topic but it kind of goes to my response to:

"In before the holy trinity is added" is a phrase which means that you're kind of excepting them to add holy trinity to the game soon as well.

If this is true... then good, because hopefully the game will get a lot more fun.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2012, 06:37:00 pm »
You can say GW2 has no holy trinity, but more importantly it lacks an actual group cooperation system. There are no mutually complementary classes. I'd even go as far as saying that all classes are more or less the same, the only difference being that some are stronger than others. They all are a dps-heal-tank monster individually so actually the holy trinity is not gone, it is everywhere. Very few skills are actually original (i.e. not working with numbers but with effects that have a radically different impact). It's the same "hit", "hit harder", "hit in a zone", "hit and do damage over time"... all the time.

Besides, what is wrong with a Tank - DPS - Heal structure ? It makes fighting in groups more challenging than just "spam all your attacks like you did when you were alone". This archertype has been proven to work and is much, much older than any MMO.