Author Topic: An overview of 2h swords pre and post patch  (Read 7646 times)

Offline Moncho

• King
  • Renown: 1127
  • Infamy: 221
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moncho, Some_Random_STF, Some_Random_Troll
An overview of 2h swords pre and post patch
« on: October 29, 2012, 12:46:27 pm »
+11
Edited some mistakes.

Before:
I am going to choose a 2h sword. I can choose fast ones (katana, HBS) but they lack some damage, let me take a look at the other ones.
Oh, most of them have 92 speed, which one should I choose? Maybe the longest one, which also happens to be one of the most damaging? Hell yes! DGS it is (simplified version but thats how I felt looking at them)

After:
Well, now the German/Danish greatswords have been made slower, only 90 speed and gained some damage. This makes them the slower, harder hitter machines that they should be imo. Let me take another look at the other ones.
Wait, the HBS/BS have been made a bit faster, and the SoW, Claymore, GS now have a place.
Darn it, now I actually have to think and choose one that fits my needs, not one that is very good at everything. Now I can choose faster, hard hitting, stabbing, and many more other things

But I still want to QQ because now my uber MW DGS is not as good as it was :(

This has been done from memory and the data in the website, please say if you do not agree with anything.

I think this patch brought (if the data on the website is correct) to 2hers some of the balancing 1hers have had for quite a long time, with each thing having trade offs. But maybe I am missing something...
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 03:27:25 pm by Moncho »

Offline Rage_Guy

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 123
  • cRPG Player
  • L to the ATVIA, bitch.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Latvian Potato Empire
Re: An overview of 2h swords pre and post patch
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2012, 12:51:27 pm »
+4
Nooo, my KuyakWarmaskHero alt is nerfed!  :cry: :cry: :cry:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2012, 01:41:42 pm »
+2
you forgot they also gave 2h the highest cut weapon to mix it up some more

Persian Battle Axe
Type:Two handed weapon
Requirement:17 strength
Weight:4.5
Slots:2
Upkeep:429 gold
Shop price:6,132 gold
Value:3,066 gold
Speed:90
Length:95
Swing:48 cut
Bonus against shield
Unbalanced

all in all good job :D
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2012, 01:44:39 pm »
+5
Well, now the German/Danish greatswords have been made slightly worse, only 90 speed and lost some damage.

They gained some damage.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2012, 02:04:01 pm »
Overall I think the 2h balancing is an improvement; it seems to actually take into account the incredible power of the 2h thrust (the thrusting swords pay a larger speed penalty now). Also nice to see some under-used swords like Dadao, HGS, 2h Sword, Great Sword, etc now have a role. Also, I'm glad that 2h axes are no longer pitiful compared to their polearm counterparts.

I'm skeptical of the Longsword buff though; it was already the most powerful/popular 2h, and now it's even better. Thanks to the hiltslash mechanic, good players can consistently double-hit with fast 2-handers. Couple that with a 170+ reach insta-stab that doesn't glance, and it's a little much.

Offline PanPan

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 70
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2012, 02:05:43 pm »
+1
Katana is made slower not faster... But gained some damage!

Anyway I don't understand why a longer and heavier Sword can be faster than Katana or as fast as it. (HBS, BS)

Offline Nehvar

• Duke
  • Renown: 550
  • Infamy: 64
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2012, 02:06:52 pm »
text

The German/Danish swords gained one each to thrust and cut.  The katana actually lost a point in speed but also gained a point of thrust and cut.
WSE2 gives us the key to a wonderful world of butthurt...

Offline _GTX_

• I <3 Shemaforash
  • Duke
  • Renown: 535
  • Infamy: 960
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • O===((:::::::::::::::>
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmarunionen
  • Game nicks: GTX
  • IRC nick: GTX
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2012, 02:53:09 pm »
U rly do hate greatswords  Moncho O.o, i was completely correct.

Why dont u go 2h with ur main, and then pick danish. Lol, hf..

PS: Anyone wanna  buy an ''op'' danish greatsword? Even i cba anymore, biggest 2h lover there prob is.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2012, 03:31:39 pm by _GTX_ »

Offline TheAppleSauceMan

• Duke
  • Renown: 553
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • dear god I hate throwers
    • View Profile
    • Look and you'll enjoy.
  • Faction: Dracul, RUFF RYDERS
  • Game nicks: Dracul_AppleSauce_FieldBauss | Wiff Khalifa | U_Having_A_Giggle_M8
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2012, 03:17:14 pm »
+1
you forgot they also gave 2h the highest cut weapon to mix it up some more

Persian Battle Axe
Type:Two handed weapon
Requirement:17 strength
Weight:4.5
Slots:2
Upkeep:429 gold
Shop price:6,132 gold
Value:3,066 gold
Speed:90
Length:95
Swing:48 cut
Bonus against shield
Unbalanced

all in all good job :D

Next gen I'm getting a +3 one of these babies and rolling with it. 51 cut ftw.
I'm rock, nerf paper, scissors is fine. Welcome to c-RPG.

Offline Moncho

• King
  • Renown: 1127
  • Infamy: 221
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Moncho, Some_Random_STF, Some_Random_Troll
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2012, 03:33:37 pm »
They gained some damage.

So the greatsword guys are complaining that they now have slower but harder hitting weapons? How is that a nerf? I am even more confused now as to why they would cry...

Katana is made slower not faster... But gained some damage!

Anyway I don't understand why a longer and heavier Sword can be faster than Katana or as fast as it. (HBS, BS)
Neither do I, but I really know nothing about japanese warfare so cannot really speak about them.

U rly do hate greatswords  Moncho O.o, i was completely correct.

Why dont u go 2h with ur main, and then pick danish. Lol, hf..

PS: Anyone wanna  buy an ''op'' danish greatsword? Even i cba anymore.

I do not hate them, I just think they should have that place instead of an extremely good at all that they had before. Same as with 1hers, you have the hard hitting but shorter ones (cleavers), hard and fast but even shorter (niuweidao and similars), then you can go with the long ones and get different degrees of stab and slash qualities (from lee, going through arming and NCS to scimitar, which does not even have a stab). Each has its purpose, and they are mostly your preference, but with greatswords you did not have this dilemma, now you do, which is what I like about this change.
About going 2her on my main, I started this gen as it, but respecced because I was getting shot to pieces, so I just went back to my classic shielder. I still get shot often, but I can at least walk with a bit more calm, and have more fun, which is what the game is about after all.

Offline _GTX_

• I <3 Shemaforash
  • Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2012, 03:41:48 pm »
I do not hate them, I just think they should have that place instead of an extremely good at all that they had before. Same as with 1hers, you have the hard hitting but shorter ones (cleavers), hard and fast but even shorter (niuweidao and similars), then you can go with the long ones and get different degrees of stab and slash qualities (from lee, going through arming and NCS to scimitar, which does not even have a stab). Each has its purpose, and they are mostly your preference, but with greatswords you did not have this dilemma, now you do, which is what I like about this change.
About going 2her on my main, I started this gen as it, but respecced because I was getting shot to pieces, so I just went back to my classic shielder. I still get shot often, but I can at least walk with a bit more calm, and have more fun, which is what the game is about after all.

Its pretty damn hard to have fun, when ur weapon is completely useless, while other great weapons is not even touched by the nerf. The danish wasent the fastest, it didnt do the most dmg(as far as i remember), and it wasent the longest. Now its as slow as a 160 lenght polearm, and also a few over that lenght. The dmg isent that extreme at all, and it isent that long.

Take a look at the marketplace aswell, can u guess what the most offered heirloom is? I wanna bet that after a few days, the danish wont even be on the list of requested looms at all.

I have been known to a be danish greatsword fanboy, because i love the sword and im danish irl. I had it for 2 and a half year, yet im selling mine now.... thats says something. If i dont want the danish, then who does?

Anyway, just think about the last lines.

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 2105
  • Infamy: 2282
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2012, 03:43:09 pm »
+2
HBS is 2 points faster, and everything else is the same as before.

Longsword got +1 to cut and 1 more speed.

Those two are now perfect weapons for balanced/strength oriented builds.

Offline Osiris

• King
  • Renown: 1449
  • Infamy: 324
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merc
  • Game nicks: Osiris. Aethelstan
  • IRC nick: _Osiris_
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2012, 03:46:13 pm »
+1
GTX just because you only want to use the most powerful weapons it doesn't mean that the Danish is now useless. Danish was the most offered loom on the market long before this patch and its still a bad ass sword. The Danish was OP. If everyone uses the same damn sword there must be a reason right :P
i make terrible warband videos! https://youtu.be/jUdVGIOuULk

Offline _GTX_

• I <3 Shemaforash
  • Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2012, 03:51:27 pm »
GTX just because you only want to use the most powerful weapons it doesn't mean that the Danish is now useless. Danish was the most offered loom on the market long before this patch and its still a bad ass sword. The Danish was OP. If everyone uses the same damn sword there must be a reason right :P

I wanna use the most powerful weapon? Ive kept my sword because of the look, style, name and because it was my first weapon. I had it for 2 and a half year, through all patches and nerfs. Yet u say i only want op weapons? go fuck off. Pretty much none of u has sticked with the same weapon, like i did.

No it wasent, but all the 2h danish hate makes it look like it. And if it was so op, why was it the most offered? People wouldent give out their greatest weapon. It was never high on the request list, it was around number 7. So if it was so op, why was the demand way lower, than what they were given out at, thats the exact opposite of what should happen.

PS:I have been known to a be danish greatsword fanboy, because i love the sword and im danish irl. I had it for 2 and a half year, yet im selling mine now.... thats says something. If i dont want the danish, then who does?

Offline _GTX_

• I <3 Shemaforash
  • Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2012, 03:52:29 pm »
No. Polearms use different kind of animations than 2h, so you can't really compare two different classes of weapons.

For example, some 1h can reach as far as 2h with right swing, but with left swing its a different story.

Also, from realism perspective, ever wondered why shorter 2h axes are unbalanced and longer polearm axes aren't? It's because the grip is wider on polearms.

No fucking shit? I dont know the exact numbers on the animations, so i dont write numbers im not sure off. Thats why i use a polearm of 160 lenght, since i know its longer than the 2h.

PS:I have been known to a be danish greatsword fanboy, because i love the sword and im danish irl. I had it for 2 and a half year, yet im selling mine now.... thats says something. If i dont want the danish, then who does?