Author Topic: [HG] Order of the Holy Guard - NA  (Read 55988 times)

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
Re: [HG] Order of the Holy Guard - NA
« Reply #645 on: November 19, 2013, 09:37:43 pm »
+2
(click to show/hide)

Thanks, that re-affirms my decision to loom the Short Heraldic. Tunic isn't bad, but looks pretty fat. Brig totally distorts the banner, and is also fat. Either would probably look good with a large weapon, but if I wore it I'd be "Fat guy with a little sword", a la Farley in Tommy Boy.

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #646 on: November 19, 2013, 09:43:28 pm »
+1
LOL.

Yeah, they all look cool, but I think you went with the nicest looking.

Speaking of looks, someone  just have me 60k to trade my blue churburg for a red.  I don't like the way the red looks, but...golds...  :rolleyes:

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #647 on: November 20, 2013, 06:46:27 pm »
Elindor, are you still experiencing a ~20ms higher ping to NA cRPG servers? I've had this too for about a week now, and I'm trying to diagnose it. Would you open a command prompt and run :

pathping 74.91.113.155

Then post a screenshot of your stats (crop out the first couple hops for privacy reasons). I want to see if there is a particular hop common to all players experiencing this issue.

The Telia servers in Chicago are ruining my ping (note the 20ms jump):
(click to show/hide)

Pathping from a different ISP in the same town doesn't go through Telia (goes through Cogent instead) and has normal ping:
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2013, 12:47:35 am by Phew »

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
« Reply #648 on: November 21, 2013, 04:46:33 am »
Phew I'm not seeing the time at each hop...

Something special I should be doing?
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #649 on: November 22, 2013, 01:24:03 am »
Phew I'm not seeing the time at each hop...

Something special I should be doing?

It takes about 5 minutes to run, so just leave the window open for a while until the stats appear. If you can't get a command prompt, go to start->search->cmd.exe->right click->run as administrator.

I'll looking into proxy services as an alternative to switching ISPs, but that doesn't seem promising.

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
« Reply #650 on: November 22, 2013, 03:43:39 am »
Ok, got it.

Too lazy to post the image but I got the same results basically...

My hops 1-6 are all under 33ms
Hop 7 is 41ms - Telia
Hop 8 is 50 ms - Telia
Hop 9 is 67ms - Telia
Hop 10 is 61ms - Telia
Hop 11 is 71ms - bbnet1.chg.pnap.net
and Hop 12 is 61ms - ded-machine.internap-chicago.nfoservers.com

....well crap...whats happening in those hops?
and what do we do about it?

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #651 on: November 22, 2013, 03:42:14 pm »
Ok, got it.

Too lazy to post the image but I got the same results basically...

My hops 1-6 are all under 33ms
Hop 7 is 41ms - Telia
Hop 8 is 50 ms - Telia
Hop 9 is 67ms - Telia
Hop 10 is 61ms - Telia
Hop 11 is 71ms - bbnet1.chg.pnap.net
and Hop 12 is 61ms - ded-machine.internap-chicago.nfoservers.com

....well crap...whats happening in those hops?
and what do we do about it?

I investigated a little more, and the first Telia hop appears to be in Atlanta. You are in NC, right? I'm in VA, so I really shouldn't be routed ATL->DC->CHI (just DC-CHI). You're probably closer to Atlanta than DC, but DC is still a more direct route. Who is your ISP? Mine is a local cable company, but I'll probably switch to the ISP that gives the lower ping above. If you have access to other computers in your area that use different ISPs, you could ping that same IP and see which ISP gives you the best ping, and switch to that ISP. Proxy servers are another option, but it seems like a pain.

Offline SteelFalcon

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Oda Nobunaga, Hykima, Tirnian, Fjarn, Madina, Tetsugai
« Reply #652 on: November 23, 2013, 02:39:47 am »
I don't mean to distract from the discussion of ping, but I do have a build question to put forth to you guys actually. For a long time I was planning on 21/21 at 33 with maxed points but 5 IF and then finishing off the IF at level 34 and getting 1 shield skill to help climb ladders. But I was talking to Mazrim the other day and he said he was 24/21 and that seems to work really well for him and the extra PS would make my claymore (or soon possibly my flambard) do a LOT of damage. So my question is this 0 IF and more PS or agi? or 7 IF and 1 shield? Based on the fact that I usually play siege (if its got peeps) and that footwork is my main asset, though I am getting to be a better blocker/chamberer.
“You seem to be under the misconception that if you perform one brave deed, that alone makes you a samurai. Well it doesn't! You let that one act of loyalty convince you of your righteousness. The more convinced you became, the more harm you caused yourself and everyone else.”
~Miyamoto Musashi
"Duty is heavier than a mountain; death is lighter than a feather."
~Robert Jordan

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #653 on: November 24, 2013, 01:53:30 am »
I don't mean to distract from the discussion of ping, but I do have a build question to put forth to you guys actually. For a long time I was planning on 21/21 at 33 with maxed points but 5 IF and then finishing off the IF at level 34 and getting 1 shield skill to help climb ladders. But I was talking to Mazrim the other day and he said he was 24/21 and that seems to work really well for him and the extra PS would make my claymore (or soon possibly my flambard) do a LOT of damage. So my question is this 0 IF and more PS or agi? or 7 IF and 1 shield? Based on the fact that I usually play siege (if its got peeps) and that footwork is my main asset, though I am getting to be a better blocker/chamberer.

Mazrim has like 12ms ping and blocks like a friggin Jedi, so he doesn't need IF (he doesn't even wear a helm). 1 more PS vs. 7 more IF basically comes down to whether you find yourself wishing you occasionally killed people in one fewer swing, or if you wished you survived one more swing. Not a huge difference either way. Usually people get PS until they feel like they don't glance very often and kill people in a reasonable number of swings, then they add athletics/WM with the remaining points. High IF doesn't make a big difference unless you have 60+ armor.

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #654 on: November 24, 2013, 02:52:50 pm »
+2
Elindor, I complained to my ISP about the routing issues, sent them the pathping screenshots above (and said I'm switching ISPs if they don't fix it), and within 24 hours they had re-routed everything the way it used to be. So my ping is back to the low 40ms range like it was. You should try the same thing with your ISP!

Offline Tojo

• Earl
  • Renown: 490
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
  • Long Live NA_1
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Krems, HoC, Acre, MB, HG, Beserks
  • Game nicks: _Tojo, Drew_Brees, Tijo
« Reply #655 on: November 24, 2013, 08:19:47 pm »
IDK if you guys watch southpark but there was an episode about cable companies that reminds me of this.

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
« Reply #656 on: November 24, 2013, 08:39:18 pm »
@ Phew, will do!
If you don't mind...what did you say to them?

Odd thing is, i was getting like 200+ ms last night and complained through online chat with my provider (TWC).  They had me plug directly into the modem and bypass the router, then traceroute to their servers and everything came back fine....so was thinking maybe it was my router.  Direct into my modem i had like 46-50 ping to crpg, which I *STILL* have now that ive gone through the router again....

so we'll see....so confused...i was at like 70ms before this....and then spikes to 200+, now 46?  not sure.

----

On another note, welcome Initiate_Dante_Zelerius and Initiate_Arcadeus to the HG!
(Also, updated roster)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 08:48:43 pm by Elindor »

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #657 on: November 25, 2013, 02:54:31 pm »
+1
@ Phew, will do!
If you don't mind...what did you say to them?

I just said my latency to chicago area servers had jumped 20ms recently, and asked why my packets to chicago were being routed 800 miles out of the way (south to ATL, then back north to DC->Chicago), and attached the trace results. Your issues do seem to be related to your router and not your ISP though.

Also everyone, I ran out of liquid assets (gold) due to going a little bit marketplace-crazy as a result of the free respec+new armors. So I'm playing my first "real" alt, x-bow/1h named HG_Dhrakk. Xbow is the only class I find tolerable at low levels, so it's a fun way to funnel gold to my main while learning the tricks of the xbow trade. Which I've found mostly consist of "aim at target, shoot target". If anyone has some +3 Steel Bolts, please put em in the Armory (I think Claire had some?).
« Last Edit: November 25, 2013, 03:27:56 pm by Phew »

Offline Tojo

• Earl
  • Renown: 490
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
  • Long Live NA_1
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Krems, HoC, Acre, MB, HG, Beserks
  • Game nicks: _Tojo, Drew_Brees, Tijo
« Reply #658 on: November 25, 2013, 08:25:05 pm »
+1
Welcome guys, I look forward to fighting with more allies under the Holy Guard banner!!!

Claire/Vlanear does have the +3 bolts and xbow, but has not been on in awhile for someone to ask him to put them in the armory.
Also, we got Hindel and Hamilcar to log on crpg the other day, but they logged on to fight a KUTT stack  :rolleyes:.

I want to try and set up a day where we all log on to crpg and roll siege!

I was going to do a RP post for the new recruits, however I don't much feel like taxing my brain with that atm. Sorry guys there will be another :wink:

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #659 on: November 25, 2013, 08:46:32 pm »
Claire/Vlanear does have the +3 bolts and xbow, but has not been on in awhile for someone to ask him to put them in the armory.
Also, we got Hindel and Hamilcar to log on crpg the other day, but they logged on to fight a KUTT stack  :rolleyes:.

I want to try and set up a day where we all log on to crpg and roll siege!

When I was independent, I used to rage at the HG Barmace squad cracking my skull at the top of every ladder, then I joined HG and they all stopped playing :cry: If you are coordinating a siege night, I'm most available from 9-11PM EST on Sun/Mon.