Author Topic: [HG] Order of the Holy Guard - NA  (Read 56007 times)

Offline Sir Gilinor

• Baron
  • Renown: 94
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player
  • Death is Glory
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Blades of Ouroboros
  • Game nicks: Norman_Ithran
Re: [HG] Order of the Holy Guard - NA
« Reply #615 on: November 08, 2013, 07:50:25 pm »
The wind whipped the snow off the frozen soil, flinging it across Ithran's bare face. He stood, silent. Moonlight shone upon the harsh mountain pass, illuminating the walls of Himmelsberg Monastery. All was quiet, save for the howling of the wind. Never had he felt so conflicted in his life, so drawn between one path and another; he had made so many memories here, so many friends. Brothers, he thought to himself. Not friends, but brothers. He shifted unwarily, adjusting his sword that hung from his hip and fingering the leather reigns of his horse. Sighing, he placed his conical helmet upon his head, and drew in his reigns, bringing the horse down the mountain path.

He had made so many brothers, bled beside them, fought beside them, and even watched them die before him. All in the name of integrity, honor, and courage. For protecting the downtrodden, the helpless, the needy. For defending brothers of the faith. Those things would never leave him.

He let the snow stab at him. He couldn't determine which was hurting more, the icy weather or his broken spirit. A tear, or perhaps it was the melted snow, fell down his face. The second tear he had shed since joining the Order, and the last.

But beyond this, Ithran was at peace. He was a brother at heart, at mind, and at soul. He would always be, and never cease to be a Holy Guard.

He stopped short of descending down the mountain, and turned in his saddle to gaze upon the fortress once more. The walls stood high, dominating the pass. Braziers upon the walls sparkled, casting shadows among the ramparts. And, at the top of the keep, sailed the Archangel, brightly shining against the black field of the banner. It waved proudly, rippling through the wind, seeming to wave a goodbye.

Ithran knew not what the future held, only that God was directing him. Perhaps, he would return to the Order, God willing. But for now, he had a duty. A duty to marshal the sons of Normandy, to return them to the glory that they once held.  Nodding, he unraveled the crimson banner from one of his saddlebags. The blood-red field was darkened by the night, but the golden cross stood out strong. The banner of the Normans.

He fastened the pennant to his lance, and, gathering his reigns, the Norman knight descended down the icy mountain.

The time of the Normans has arrived thus, and the time for the horse to be saddled for war. Let the glory of the Northmen rise again upon the winds of battle.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
"Deus, deduc armis semper saecula."

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
« Reply #616 on: November 08, 2013, 08:30:37 pm »
Ithran - sorry to see you go!

Is this a RL thing or you joining a different clan?
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #617 on: November 08, 2013, 08:59:10 pm »
+1
Garison trudged up the mountain path clutching a cloak close around his shoulders.  His thighs burned from the long uphill hike, but at least the snow was blowing at his back now.

He knew of the monastery through word of mouth.  It was known as a place of solace and sanctity -- but also a place inhabited by paladins and men-at-arms of the highest degree.  Keeping the company of fighting men was nothing new, but the solace and sanctity were in sore need.  That is was drew him here.  He had much to atone for.

A ways off he spotted a man, mounted and flying a red banner from a lance, coming down the opposite way.  When the time came, he stepped off the narrow path to yield way to the horse and rider as they passed in silence, only nodding in acknowledgement of each other.  A knight, he thought to himself, this man leaves justified.

When he reached the monastery gates, he felt an upwelling of nervousness in his stomach that he had not felt since his youth.  Ahead was the unknown.  He adjusted the pack on his back and instinctively grasped the weathered sword at his hip before knocking three times on the heavy oaken doors.  Scenarios of uncertainty ran wild though his imagination as he wondered to himself what life as an apprentice would be.  Wait, is it apprentice, or acolyte?  Will the abbot be a kind, or a hard man?  Are these men even lead by an abbot?  Before his wandering thoughts could find a suitable place to rest, a slit opened in the door at eye level and a voice inquired from within.
"What do you seek?"
Garison had asked himself this question many times, but didn't really know the answer until he heard it pass his own lips aloud.
"Mercy...and solace," he slowly, before adding with gusto, "and Glory."
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 11:01:21 pm by Garison »

Offline Sir Gilinor

• Baron
  • Renown: 94
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player
  • Death is Glory
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Blades of Ouroboros
  • Game nicks: Norman_Ithran
« Reply #618 on: November 08, 2013, 10:36:27 pm »
I'll be starting a new one based on the Normans, as I'm wanting to see if anyone would be interested. It's a trial run of sorts, but I'm not exactly sure how it's working out. I meant to jump into TS and talk to y'all, but never got the chance so I apologize. Of course, I've grown too fond of all of you guys to leave Honor Guard as a group, so I'll be sticking around for now.  :wink:
"Deus, deduc armis semper saecula."

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: November 09, 2013, 02:54:21 am »
Of course, I've grown too fond of all of you guys to leave Honor Guard as a group, so I'll be sticking around for now.  :wink:

Glad to hear it!

Offline Phew

• Marshall
  • Renown: 775
  • Infamy: 132
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Phew_XVI
« Reply #620 on: November 15, 2013, 10:50:59 pm »
In case you hadn't heard, everyone gets a free respec next patch (so don't do anything crazy like retire/respec before then). Elindor posted his build ideas in Tydeus' WM thread, but I thought we could toss ideas around here.

I'm probably going:
Lvl 34 (33 now, but almost there)
Armor: 56H/65B/42L
+3 BSS, +3 Knightly Heater, +3 Heavy Xbow, +1 Steel Bolts
21/21
58 HP

1 IF
7 PS
7 Shield
7 Ath
7 WM
160 1h/80 xbow (or whatever it works out to).

Was considering 18/24, but I glance a lot with 6PS now having only a 33c weapon. Still might go that route though.

Elindor, I think you should go 24/21 (max PS/ATH/WM), with 1 point for shield/IF/whatever. Then wear transitional or similar. +7 armor will make you take about 25-30% less cut damage (13-16% less pierce damage), and force more glances. That beats having 23% more hitpoints. Plus, you can always dump your 3 skill points at lvl 35 into IF, and you have the best of both worlds. Although if you still wear that squishy helm, maybe you do need lots of IF.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 11:02:42 pm by Phew »

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: November 15, 2013, 11:17:56 pm »
Phew, I wear Lordly Brig over Mail now...with lordly wisbys and the veiled turban helm (47 armor)...so not quite as heavy as transitional :)

I don't think I'll go 24/21 and have no IF...especially with my ping of around 70 sometimes I take hits I cannot avoid...plus I am not a bad blocker but not a superb one either by any means.

Being 34, Id say either 21/21 with maxed stats or 24/18 with maxed stats....
« Last Edit: November 15, 2013, 11:23:27 pm by Elindor »

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: November 15, 2013, 11:47:50 pm »
Phew, I wear Lordly Brig over Mail now...with lordly wisbys and the veiled turban helm (47 armor)...so not quite as heavy as transitional :)

I don't think I'll go 24/21 and have no IF...especially with my ping of around 70 sometimes I take hits I cannot avoid...plus I am not a bad blocker but not a superb one either by any means.

Being 34, Id say either 21/21 with maxed stats or 24/18 with maxed stats....

San had a good post about IF. Basically saying that most builds come down to 7IF vs. 3 more AGI+1ATH+wearing 7kg heavier armor (since 7kg~1 athletics in terms of run speed/accel). And that ~7 more armor almost always provides more survivability than 7 IF. I know that I glance like a motha on guys with 70ish armor, and have no problem on guys with 60ish armor. The IF option wins out if you care a lot about upkeep or predominantly get damaged by pierce/blunt weapons, but the +1 ath&7 more armor option wins out in all other scenarios (especially now that 3 more AGI has the added bonus of 42 wpp).

47 head armor means you take huge damage from overheads and 1h left swings (both very common on siege), so IF is probably a good choice if you are sticking with that helm.

Offline Penitent

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: November 16, 2013, 12:04:04 am »
Very interesting take on IF.  My current build at lv 31 is 24/13 (will be 24/15 at lv33), and I've got 7 IF right now.

Lv 31

24 str
13 agi

IF - 7
PS - 8
Shield - 4
Riding- 3
WM - 4

My armor isn't that heavy though (+3 heraldic mail with tunic)
Head - 51
Body -  51
Leg - 32

So you're saying I could convert my IF points and then wear heavier armor - and I'd be better off.  Hmmm...

(Whatever happens, I'm keeping 2 points in riding.  I'm not giving up my sumpter)   :P

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: November 16, 2013, 07:10:06 am »
Phew, I wasn't aware that a 47 armor helm was "light"....what would you suggest??

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: November 16, 2013, 01:40:21 pm »
+1
Phew, I wasn't aware that a 47 armor helm was "light"....what would you suggest??

Loom it ;-)

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: November 16, 2013, 07:23:08 pm »
Loom it ;-)

I could, but I hate retiring.

Offline Penitent

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: November 18, 2013, 07:29:58 pm »
Respec is upon us, gents.

(click to show/hide)

I'm now going for a 21/18 build with an option to go 24/18 at lv 34 (if I ever make it that far.)  I'm almost lv 32 now.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Phew

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: November 18, 2013, 07:43:23 pm »
Respec is upon us, gents.

(click to show/hide)

I'm now going for a 21/18 build with an option to go 24/18 at lv 34 (if I ever make it that far.)  I'm almost lv 32 now.

(click to show/hide)

Wow, you'll have 72 body armor when you borrow my gauntlets. Your enemies will mostly have less PS with the respec, so you will be even tougher. 21/18 is a solid build for sure, although I'd probably trade 1 or 2 IF for more shield skill (not much of a "turtler" with 4 shield  :wink:).

I'm still debating 18/24 vs. 21/21. With 18/24, I'd have 170 1h wpf and 76 crossbow. With 21/21, it would be 158 1h, 62 xbow or thereabouts. It probably comes down to what the new heraldic armors look like; if I like the heavy ones better, I'll probaly go 18/24. If I like the medium one better, 21/21. I got the loom points ready to spend, since servers haven't updated, I have no idea what they look like.

Elindor, I caught that 20ms ping jump to NA servers that you've had. Never realized that 20ms could make so much difference; I couldn't even land a hit on people after I kicked them. On the plus side, it seems to have affected a lot of other players; Smegmar isn't so scary when his ping is 40ms instead of 12ms.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 07:57:48 pm by Phew »

Offline Penitent

• King
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: November 18, 2013, 08:04:36 pm »
Wow, you'll have 72 body armor when you borrow my gauntlets. Your enemies will mostly have less PS with the respec, so you will be even tougher. 21/18 is a solid build for sure, although I'd probably trade 1 or 2 IF for more shield skill (not much of a "turtler" with 4 shield  :wink:).

I'm still debating 18/24 vs. 21/21. With 18/24, I'd have 170 1h wpf and 76 crossbow. With 21/21, it would be 158 1h, 62 xbow or thereabouts. It probably comes down to what the new heraldic armors look like; if I like the heavy ones better, I'll probaly go 18/24. If I like the medium one better, 21/21. I got the loom points ready to spend, since servers haven't updated, I have no idea what they look like.

Elindor, I caught that 20ms ping jump to NA servers that you've had. God it sucks. On the plus side, it seems to have affected a lot of other players; Smegmar isn't so scary when his ping is 40ms instead of 12ms.

Yeah, the armor may or may not bankrupt me.  I've got over 100k so I should be good for a while at least.

I usually die before my shield breaks, so I wasn't sure about taking more shield skill.  However, with higher armor I may be out-living my shield more often so I'm going to test it out a bit and see if I like higher IF or shield.  Or I can take a 2 riding sumpter again for speedy delivery. :) Thanks for looking it over.

Man, if you could have a viable 1h/xbow hybrid with almost 160 wpf in 1h, that is quite amazing.  We're sure to see more hybrids in the future, I believe. 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2013, 08:09:08 pm by Garison »