Author Topic: 2handers guide  (Read 23089 times)

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: 2handers guide
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2011, 09:15:44 pm »
So, you say that people in M&B do not kill because they are skillful, but because others make mistakes all the time?

Ask around. Many top players will be honest and answer the k/d bang for the buck is to be where it's good to be, when it's good to be. True duels are rare on the battlefield, and they won't pump your k/d alone. Skill is mostly not doing errors in duels, the game is designed in a way that about anything can be done if we suppose the player is perfect and allways does exactly the best thing, given the current state of skill of the average cRPG player. The situations where this is not true are either involving ranged, crushthrough or great imbalances of stats (peasant vs lvl 30).

Reapy's video of various team deathmatch rounds when the game was not released long ago pretty much sums up this. People are dying because they make obvious errors. Now things have evolved and I think many current cRPG player would have gone rampage is they had back then the skill they have now. But the principle is still true.

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2011, 10:40:51 pm »
Exactly.
Whether its a fail block, unawareness, wrong turn, wrong swing, wrong footwork, not giving a damn about your opponents location and blindly charging into your death, not being able to see your opponents swing cause 70% of god damn maps are played in night time where you cant see your willy while youre peeing, fasader "balancing" weapons, etc, etc.......everything in this mod is based on mistakes of other people. All you need to do is find yourself at the right place in the right time and grab your free kill. Nice and easy.

Well, to be fair it takes skill to recognize errors that other people make and capitalize on them.  Some errors are obvious, but others are minute things that only someone with skill and experience can very quickly recognize as an error and perform the correct action to score a hit.  I'm a long way down the skill totem poll but early on I simply didn't recognize chambered swings and how to properly time swings (ie not realizing it was my hesitation and not weapon speed that was allowing them to swing twice before I get one to land).  Now that I've had some more time playing those things become easier to spot.

So I think it absolutely takes skill to hit other players, simply because you need to recognize when the inevitable mistake is made and capitalize, while minimizing your own mistakes.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Original_Sin

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
  • Well Dunn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bartering Brigade Black Tea
  • IRC nick: Original Sin [afk mostly]
« Reply #32 on: April 08, 2011, 12:20:35 am »
reapy's videos helped me a lot once.
too bad I took my sweet time after the patch came out and didn't play for a 3-4 months.
people sometimes call me a spammer. good luck with the second reapy's video. except for "criers will cry" thing of course  :wink:

Offline Madcat

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Ferroh
« Reply #33 on: April 08, 2011, 02:50:19 am »
Imho, don't bother with chambering, it's not worth the effort.

I think chambering is a useful thing to know, especially on battle servers where ending fights quickly is important. The longer a fight goes on the higher the chances of you dying get. But it's very situational.

So it's not necessary to know but it does give you an extra edge over people who you otherwise might lose to. Especially against those who like the 2h thrust move

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2011, 03:08:01 am »
I think chambering is a useful thing to know, especially on battle servers where ending fights quickly is important. The longer a fight goes on the higher the chances of you dying get. But it's very situational.

So it's not necessary to know but it does give you an extra edge over people who you otherwise might lose to. Especially against those who like the 2h thrust move

Nothing gives me greater pleasure than having someone chamber my thrust only for me to overhead chamber their chamber and slicing their face of. I agree with you though, chambering is useful. I find it very effective against pikes and 1h spears. Still it's mostly a duel technique, I wouldn't bother to learn to chamber decently if you don't enjoy dueling.

Offline Madcat

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Ferroh
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2011, 03:25:53 am »
Nothing gives me greater pleasure than having someone chamber my thrust only for me to overhead chamber their chamber and slicing their face of. I agree with you though, chambering is useful. I find it very effective against pikes and 1h spears. Still it's mostly a duel technique, I wouldn't bother to learn to chamber decently if you don't enjoy dueling.

That's the thing. In duels a lot of people expect to be chambered and often manage to block it. But in battle servers it's a death sentence if you pull it off. They are never ready for it :)

Yeah it's easier to do in controlled environments so that's why I think it's situational. I rarely do it. And when I do it I am either desperate or reckless enough to risk it, or have enough armor to afford being hit in case I miss

Offline Shpritza

• Count
  • Renown: 279
  • Infamy: 42
    • View Profile
    • STEAM
  • Game nicks: Shpritza
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2011, 03:39:27 am »
reapy's videos helped me a lot once.

Hope it helps u with the essay  :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
trust no one, question everything

Offline Corwin

• Earl
  • Renown: 499
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Corwin_the_Lazy
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2011, 01:55:12 pm »
Well, to be fair it takes skill to recognize errors that other people make and capitalize on them.  Some errors are obvious, but others are minute things that only someone with skill and experience can very quickly recognize as an error and perform the correct action to score a hit. 
This.

And also, it takes skills to make other people make mistakes. At least other people who are skillful to some extent, to overwhelm them with a storm of blows and slashes, to make them nervous and frustrated and to make them finally make a mistake.
Of course, being a noob, I have never done this, but I saw it being done on several occasions.
I mean, what have you got to lose? You know, you come from nothing, you're going back to nothing, what have you lost? Nothing!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2011, 04:04:45 pm »
Imho, don't bother with chambering, it's not worth the effort.

Its totally worth it to counter stabbers. Its my standard answer to people who start with stab.
Im not good in chambering reft right and overheads so those are not worth it for me atm.

Offline RandomDude

• Earl
  • Renown: 431
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • I play now! but I suck =(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RandomDude
  • IRC nick: RandomDude
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2011, 04:07:45 pm »
Real men use Flamberge, everything else (especielly lolstab) are for baby boys.

i endorse this opinion

To tell you the truth, I don't think flamberge should be counted as 2handed weapon, it is more a polearm, imo. I used it for a while, especially on siege servers, and I was for a few days in top three-four players, but I very quickly grew tired of it. 2handed swords are all about your skills, flamberge is all about mistakes of others.

its definately got a style of its own in the 2h class

u can't use some 2h skills whilst using a flamberge and some flamberge skills dont transfer over well either

when i say "skills" i mean tips/tricks and stuff you just learn by using it etc

If u can pull off chambers in a battlefield then it is very useful but yoiu have to be on the ball all the time with it
« Last Edit: April 08, 2011, 04:17:53 pm by RandomDude »

Offline Corwin

• Earl
  • Renown: 499
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Corwin_the_Lazy
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2011, 07:03:05 pm »
Yeah, I noticed, for example, that people are almost always unprepared for stab with flamberge.
I mean, what have you got to lose? You know, you come from nothing, you're going back to nothing, what have you lost? Nothing!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2011, 12:15:49 am »
Chamberblocks can be really handy if you manage to learn them and place them when you want. The difficult thing is to know when to chamber. Holded attacks and holded feints are becoming more and more common (my personal impressions) with some good results, and those techniques tend to make chamberblocking even more difficult than it is.

One thing to notice is that chamberblocking with slow weapons will usually be useless since the opponent can block anyway. But khorin showed this can be bypassed by having a fast weapon (and gosh, he has one  :o)

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 429
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tribunal
  • Game nicks: Vivec_the_Poet
  • IRC nick: Umbra
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2011, 09:33:41 pm »
My opinion: Practice chamber vs pikers, once you get the feel and timing of the enemy stab try it on 4directional weapons. I just recently started to practice chambers extesively and it IS worth the effort. The fact that you have some experience in chambering and the guy you are fighting with doesent makes a big difference.
Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.

Offline CarlSagan

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • We are all star stuff contemplating star stuff
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: CarlSagan_Astralis
  • IRC nick: CarlSagan
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2011, 12:31:16 am »
I also find the chamber very effective against fast shielders. If you are doing a STR build and have 12 or less agi, chances are that 1h guys have more agi than you and can run right up on you turtling and then start spamming side sword/pick etc. These guys can be difficult to attack because they can swing much faster than you with their 100+ speed rated weapons. Since their weapons are so fast it might seem counter intuitive to try to chamber them but it will be very difficult to get an attack off if they can let their shield down and strike you faster than you can get a single swing off. If you watch for the direction of their backswing and instantly swing in the same direction, your slower swing should meet theirs in the middle leaving them with their guard down. If you are fighting someone without a shield that swings around the same speed you do, you generally have to wait for their swing to start or you will be too early to strike their weapon with yours.

The only way for chambering to be really useful is to practice it enough that it is a natural and intuitive reaction in combat. The way to achieve this is to think of swinging your weapon into theirs. The hit detection of the weapons are pretty good and if you are accustomed to the swing speed of your weapon well enough that blocking/attacking/fainting/chambering are all fluid reactions to the enemies around you, you have mastered 2h. A good player can often still block you after you chamber them, but this shouldnt deter you from utilizing this technique. It takes slightly more practice than normal blocking, but think of it mostly as a block and less as an attack. The benefit of it is that you are already chambered for your attack and will ALWAYS be able to outswing the other player at that point. Their only option is to block or to chamber you in return. You, in turn, always need to be ready to cancel your chamber and block a different direction if they faint you or chamber your attack.
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion or in politics, but it is not the path to knowledge and there is no place for it in the endeavor of science"

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2011, 01:21:03 am »
I also find the chamber very effective against fast shielders. If you are doing a STR build and have 12 or less agi, chances are that 1h guys have more agi than you and can run right up on you turtling and then start spamming side sword/pick etc. These guys can be difficult to attack because they can swing much faster than you with their 100+ speed rated weapons. Since their weapons are so fast it might seem counter intuitive to try to chamber them but it will be very difficult to get an attack off if they can let their shield down and strike you faster than you can get a single swing off. If you watch for the direction of their backswing and instantly swing in the same direction, your slower swing should meet theirs in the middle leaving them with their guard down. If you are fighting someone without a shield that swings around the same speed you do, you generally have to wait for their swing to start or you will be too early to strike their weapon with yours.

The only way for chambering to be really useful is to practice it enough that it is a natural and intuitive reaction in combat. The way to achieve this is to think of swinging your weapon into theirs. The hit detection of the weapons are pretty good and if you are accustomed to the swing speed of your weapon well enough that blocking/attacking/fainting/chambering are all fluid reactions to the enemies around you, you have mastered 2h. A good player can often still block you after you chamber them, but this shouldnt deter you from utilizing this technique. It takes slightly more practice than normal blocking, but think of it mostly as a block and less as an attack. The benefit of it is that you are already chambered for your attack and will ALWAYS be able to outswing the other player at that point. Their only option is to block or to chamber you in return. You, in turn, always need to be ready to cancel your chamber and block a different direction if they faint you or chamber your attack.

Weird, I think you should read again. If you are chambering and the enemy feints, it's usually win because you have started to swing earlier.