Author Topic: 2handers guide  (Read 23092 times)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: 2handers guide
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2011, 11:05:24 am »
Phyrex, Bjord and Xant's secrets are obvious.

1. Get a German Greatsword
2. Get an 18/21 ish build,
3. Use stab all the time, all the noobs will die instantly, lol it up a little
4. Get some blocking skills and everyone will die instantly
5. Get it masterworked and keep stabbing
6. Be a cocky asshole in the case of Bjord and Xant

Hmm, so is that jealousy or envy? Or just bitterness that you can never survive more than a second? Maybe a bit rage thrown in there somewhere as flavor?

Isn't there anyone that will teach us noobs how to play? C'mon, Phyrex, Bjord, Xant, Khorin, tell us your secrets! We all know how to practice blocking, but what about offense?

Best way to practice offense is to play in duel servers and keep trying stuff until you can get through most people's blocks. But as to some specific stuff... thrust is obviously good, but everyone expects it, so it rarely works as a first attack. Rightslash->Spinthrust gets lots of people, though. Also, if you look to the ground and hold your right slash, then change it to a thrust and angle it so that it looks like you've still got the slash chambered... that's a good 'un too. Or you can go back and forth between those two a couple of times to confuse people even more. And despite popular belief, while the thrust works even up close if you spin it, it's far from ideal sometimes. The new animation hits immediately, so there's a good chance you'll stun yourself and then get killed as you're unable to block. I'd also not recommend stabbing against crushthrough weapons or shields (stabbing a shield stuns you often). People also kind of suck at blocking overhead. But there's no single way to do offense, pretty much every good player has their own style. Khorin for one (since you asked) uses a katana, lots of chambers and circling to get past the opponents blocks.

(Btw, disregard what Carl said about backpedaling and stabbing being your best attack. You get a negative speed bonus if you backpedal. It can work if you step forward just as you stab but it's still kinda shitty. You will one hit most people that run towards you though, if you don't have the negative speed bonus.)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 11:07:06 am by Xant »
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline CarlSagan

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • We are all star stuff contemplating star stuff
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: CarlSagan_Astralis
  • IRC nick: CarlSagan
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2011, 11:39:30 am »
There is a negative speed boost. I didn't mean your most powerful attack. I meant your BEST attack, meaning the one people will fall for the most. It obviously does less damage if you are walking backwards, but a stab to the face, walking backwards or not, will ruin someones day. You can also step into if you see them miss the block. A good trick is to vary the axis you are swinging. People will be more often to block an overhead after blocking down than they would after a sideswing; or will be less likely to block a sideswing after a stab. Make them move that mouse around erratically to try to block you. If you have the athletics to do so, you can move in and out of their swing range to get them to attack, as long as you realize where their weapon reach ends. If you can get them to swing while you are out of range, its easy to step up and gore them. All your attacks, atleast the ones you intent to kill them with, should be swung into. Even the stabs and overhands. If you do the walking backwards and stab technique AND spin into the stab... the LOLS ensue.

Both footwork and awareness are the two most under appreciated aspects of melee. You must always be positioning yourself out of range of multiple opponents a blocking/attacking the ones that are in range. If you can be aware of all the enemies around you it's much easier to survive. You want to choose which swing to use, somewhat based or your AND your opponents footwork. If your opponent moves to your left, a left swing will hit him more quickly than any other attack. He may be expecting this and naturally throw up that block, in which case you will probably be behind him now if you step past him, and are free to attack his back (over hand works wonders if you are right behind them).
"It is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
"The suppression of uncomfortable ideas may be common in religion or in politics, but it is not the path to knowledge and there is no place for it in the endeavor of science"

Offline Corwin

• Earl
  • Renown: 499
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Corwin_the_Lazy
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 11:44:15 am »
Thanks a lot, Xant, I find this information to be very useful. I will practice in line with your advices. The only thing I find hard to master at this point is chamber, but I ' ll try to improve. I can't wait for inputs from Phyrex and Bjord, if they see the topic and decide to respond.

I am now a second generation, and have a Tempered German Greatsword. In the fisrt gen I messed it up, I went 15/24 and with GG it took too many hites to drop anyone. Also, I was a bigger noob than now. The excepttion was left slash across the face to those who dont wear a helmet - btw, why do people do that?

Now I am 21/17 - going for lvl 30 21/18, with 144 WPF, 7 PS, 5 (6) WM, 5 (6) atl, and only 2 IF. I plan to put one more point to shield. At this point stab with GG became very effective, lots of people die from one stab, and yesterday I even managed to get BD_SUPERBEAST in black armor (I think this guy has a LOT HP!) twice with slash + speed stab.
I mean, what have you got to lose? You know, you come from nothing, you're going back to nothing, what have you lost? Nothing!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2011, 12:06:04 pm »
The only thing I find hard to master at this point is chamber, but I ' ll try to improve.

Imho, don't bother with chambering, it's not worth the effort.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 12:07:30 pm by Vibe »

Offline v/onMega

• Count
  • Renown: 234
  • Infamy: 67
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_vMega
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2011, 12:43:52 pm »
xD

I allrdy managed to get good, loose motivation and get bad again while ppl. Still ask how to get better...xD

Guess the mod is still alive....

Bjords input? Obv. speedhacking.

Nah seriously...
Good good blocking, perfect awareness of weaponrange, variaty in combatstyle.

Oh...btw, its not just the weapon that kills...its mostly the player and personal skill.

Try speccing good players and ull see do 's and dont's.

Hopefully Bjord will stay as cooky as he is...+ i need his excusses about lag etc. After he dies....after finishing 10 guys xD.
Always makes me laugh..

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2011, 02:56:42 pm »
Hmm, so is that jealousy or envy? Or just bitterness that you can never survive more than a second? Maybe a bit rage thrown in there somewhere as flavor?
Nah those are just my factual observations. All I said was true.

Offline La Makina

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Dedicated siege tower pusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2011, 03:30:32 pm »
Go to the tutorial, do sparring fights with the veteran weaponmaster and just block, block, block, for hours. Coma una Makina.

Offline Berserkadin

• Duke
  • Renown: 592
  • Infamy: 145
    • View Profile
  • Faction: -
  • Game nicks: Krewl_The_Urist_Fox
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2011, 05:15:15 pm »
Real men use Flamberge, everything else (especielly lolstab) are for baby boys.

Offline Corwin

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2011, 07:18:19 pm »
To tell you the truth, I don't think flamberge should be counted as 2handed weapon, it is more a polearm, imo. I used it for a while, especially on siege servers, and I was for a few days in top three-four players, but I very quickly grew tired of it. 2handed swords are all about your skills, flamberge is all about mistakes of others.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2011, 07:34:31 pm by Corwinus »
I mean, what have you got to lose? You know, you come from nothing, you're going back to nothing, what have you lost? Nothing!

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2011, 04:52:52 pm »
To tell you the truth, I don't think flamberge should be counted as 2handed weapon, it is more a polearm, imo. I used it for a while, especially on siege servers, and I was for a few days in top three-four players, but I very quickly grew tired of it. 2handed swords are all about your skills, flamberge is all about mistakes of others.

You man, teached me a great lesson today !

"Every weapon is about mistakes of others"  :wink:

Offline Corwin

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2011, 08:49:14 pm »
So, you say that people in M&B do not kill because they are skillful, but because others make mistakes all the time?

Offline Prpavi

• King
  • Renown: 1525
  • Infamy: 402
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 私 わ 変態 です
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Prpavi, Prpafeee
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2011, 09:04:27 pm »
2h guide: loom German 3 times. stab.

And now he can't play because of "common sense" and he doesn't understand how this common sense works

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2011, 09:05:50 pm »
So, you say that people in M&B do not kill because they are skillful, but because others make mistakes all the time?

Exactly.
Whether its a fail block, unawareness, wrong turn, wrong swing, wrong footwork, not giving a damn about your opponents location and blindly charging into your death, not being able to see your opponents swing cause 70% of god damn maps are played in night time where you cant see your willy while youre peeing, fasader "balancing" weapons, etc, etc.......everything in this mod is based on mistakes of other people. All you need to do is find yourself at the right place in the right time and grab your free kill. Nice and easy.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 09:07:25 pm by Gnjus »
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2011, 09:06:06 pm »
+1

To be fair,the people who win the most are the ones who take advantage of other's mistakes the quickest, and the ones who lose are the ones who make the most mistakes. I love that about this game, that when I am in battle every little bit counts on what you do.

Things like armor just allow you an additional mistake or two.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Shpritza

• Count
  • Renown: 279
  • Infamy: 42
    • View Profile
    • STEAM
  • Game nicks: Shpritza
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2011, 09:06:18 pm »
2h guide: loom German 3 times. stab.

:P