Author Topic: NavyField sequel  (Read 1959 times)

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
  • Renown: 648
  • Infamy: 212
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
NavyField sequel
« on: May 22, 2012, 06:01:51 pm »
Prolly one of only 2 great games to ever come out of Korea (other is "Shattered Galaxy"), insanely fun and skill requisite navy combat game now being updated from old sprite engine to 3D.

Here is a video of beta of the new version, tonnes of videos of first game too, which basically plays the same.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQp16zv8eTM&feature=player_embedded#!

The game is both simple, and complex. You maneuver your ship around, and control your gunfire at same time. Aiming is actually pretty difficult since you manually adjust angles, so you need to know velocity and angles well, and calculate the relative movement/speed of both yourself and your target. There is shitloads of complexity though, since you completely customize your ship (within the space limits of the class), so you can up armour deck, or belt, or overgun it, turn it into an AA or torpoedo ship. Then you factor in subs and planes too. So a lot of statistical tinkering goes on, like in cRPG where small adjustments like trading from 6.5 inch cannons to add 2 inches of deck armour makes a big difference to how your ship plays.

As you play you level up, starting with just corvettes available, to destroyer, cruiser, etc. up to super battleships and fleet carriers. But even though smaller ships of course get obliterated by battleships (tho battleships usually avoid wasting their time on them, easy to miss a small fast ship, and they need to worry about other BBs), they are very fun to play and have useful roles. Destroyers hunt subs, and can shoot torpedoes which can ruin a larger ships' day, very fast and manueverable too so can dodge well. Subs can sneak up to capital ships and wreck them, cruisers can be decked out with AA and protect the fleet from planes, or can be outfitted with tonnes of torpedoes to spam them, or can be outfitted with guns to kill other cruisers, or smaller ships. A good heavy armoured cruiser can even tangle with weaker BB classes.

Just insanely fun and skill requisite game, this new one is supposed to be out in 2013, keep an eye out for it, heavily recommended.

Offline Leesin

• King
  • Renown: 1009
  • Infamy: 230
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Leesin
Re: NavyField sequel
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2012, 07:10:17 am »
I still play Navyfield sometimes lol, did have two accounts but I think I sold all my shit on my second account to begin building up my second. But I'll be surprised if this shit ever makes it to an English translation, these rumours have been circulating for a long time and people are very doubtful we'll be seeing a Navyfield 2, I am optimistic only because I really enjoyed Navyfield and it would be cool to play an updated newer version.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2012, 11:50:10 am »
looks kind of basic.  In other news, if you are looking for naval warfare, F2p Pirates of the Burning Sea is pretty entertaining and fairly historically accurate in their ships.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2012, 11:57:10 am »
looks kind of basic.  In other news, if you are looking for naval warfare, F2p Pirates of the Burning Sea is pretty entertaining and fairly historically accurate in their ships.

Agree, it's a very decent game, considering it's f2p.

Offline Leesin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2012, 03:30:32 pm »

The only thing these two games have in common is that they both involve boats, both completely different games otherwise lol.

The combat in Navyfield might look simple but it's alot more difficult than Pirates of the burning sea by a longshot and the other half of the game is out of battle where you are buying and customizing new ships and training new crew, it's a good game for anyone who is into WW2 Naval Warfare and doesn't want to run around doing quests and the normal MMORPG shit, but it's not exactly what I would call newb friendly.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 03:32:57 pm by Leesin »

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2012, 07:19:36 pm »
For every shot, the artillery angle has to be adjusted, also your speed, direction, along with targets has to be taken into account (with both vessels attempting to maneuever erratically to throw off aim, including temporary engine redlining for speed bursts), so does travel time (1-4 seconds). Even ammo types like HE and AP have different velocity characteristics which need to be accounted.

So yeah, combat is A LOT more complex than games like sid meir pirates or pirates of the burning sea.

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • Renown: 377
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Saracen_Berserkaziz_Amir
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2012, 08:56:27 pm »
Yo I herd u liek ships

http://www.worldofbattleships.com/

Eager for that motherfucker to come out.
Maybe it woud be better for me to find out where you life and kill you when you are satch a Soziopath. You have enough now.
"I don´t believe in anything, I´m just here for the violence."

Offline Turboflex

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2012, 09:41:39 pm »
good to see, too bad no info yet.

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2012, 10:23:52 pm »
Well, this and World of Warplanes are both beeing developed by Wargaming, the team behind world of tanks.

And looking at WoT, this is gonna be pretty epic.
Maybe it woud be better for me to find out where you life and kill you when you are satch a Soziopath. You have enough now.

Offline Leesin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2012, 11:23:56 pm »
World of Warplanes is pretty horrible right now, but World of Tanks is a fairly good game, I've been waiting for World of Battleships for a while and looking forward to a beta of some kind.

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2012, 11:31:39 pm »
World of Warplanes is in alpha, cant expect much of it.

I would prefer World of Battleships first, though.Simply because I think it will be much more epic than WoWP.

But that won´t happen.As it is now, they are working on WoWP first, and when that is released they will start working seriously on WoB.Which means we can expect an Alpha in 1-2 Years ;)

Offline Leesin

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 07:34:14 am »
World of Warplanes is in alpha, cant expect much of it.

I would prefer World of Battleships first, though.Simply because I think it will be much more epic than WoWP.

But that won´t happen.As it is now, they are working on WoWP first, and when that is released they will start working seriously on WoB.Which means we can expect an Alpha in 1-2 Years ;)

Sadly yes, the thing is I don't think World of Warplanes is ever going to be that great for me personally, because I used to play ALOT of IL-2 Sturmovik, which is the best and most realistic WW2 flight sim out there. When I played World of Warplanes it just had stupid control methods and felt horrible to play, but even if they revamped the whole control scheme it still probably wouldn't be that enjoyable for me personally, it's too arcade-like which I just don't find enjoyable in WW2 flying games.

But I'd put money on seeing a beta for World of Battleships within the next year or so.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 07:36:27 am by Leesin »