Author Topic: Day Z mod for ARMA II  (Read 138224 times)

Offline Tagora

• Duke
  • Renown: 522
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
  • there's bollocks in yr tea
    • View Profile
    • ClickCLICKclickCLICKCLICKCLICK
  • Faction: Dubliners
Re: Day Z mod for ARMA II
« Reply #1260 on: January 15, 2013, 10:42:53 pm »
Some Day Z servers gets invaded by Russians or 12 year old Merican kids who found hax in internetz or used moms credit card to buy cheats online and then they get hax and mom gets her bank account wiped.

countberenger is jus mad cus his mom won't let him use her credit card over the internet.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

http://steamcommunity.com/id/tagora/

c h e l s e a  b o y s

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: January 15, 2013, 10:57:00 pm »
countberenger is jus mad cus his mom won't let him use her credit card over the internet.

tagora iz just mad cuz i -1'd his favuuurit song in song above thread.

Offline Tagora

• Duke
  • Renown: 522
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
  • there's bollocks in yr tea
    • View Profile
    • ClickCLICKclickCLICKCLICKCLICK
  • Faction: Dubliners
« Reply #1262 on: January 15, 2013, 11:12:45 pm »
tagora iz just mad cuz i -1'd his favuuurit song in song above thread.

at least my mom lets me buy hacks.

your's doesn't so you just hang around here all day.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/tagora/

c h e l s e a  b o y s

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: January 15, 2013, 11:40:03 pm »
at least my mom lets me buy hacks.

your's doesn't so you just hang around here all day.

mad bad

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: January 18, 2013, 09:16:14 am »
+1
Rocket AMA

Don't have time to format and bold shit, so read the formatted version / source here:
http://www.reddit.com/r/dayz/comments/16p21g/overview_of_rockets_ama_from_today/

Do you think SA will come before April?

Yes I think so, but anything could happen and usually does. We'll know more when the results of the tech test are out. Any dates before then would be pure speculation, and my last speculation didn't work out so good.

Any possible date or time frame for the closed test? Last week you said it would start imminently, so I was wondering how soon that was.

We're down to the last few things to fix before the first test servers pop online and we run the first full servers. Slowly we'll hand out the first keys and get a few servers running. Then we will reassess. It could go really well and we open up quickly, or it could go badly. Don't expect the tech test to be fun, or very pretty. It's a tech test, any game design that makes it into that will be a bonus.

Rocket, when ArmA 3 comes out, are you going to mod DayZ into it or let the community do it?

My real hope, is that the next "DayZ" comes out and get's it's big break in ArmA3. I made a space mod for ArmA2 that I never released, maybe I might make that for ArmA3! I guess someone will mod DayZ for ArmA3 and it will probably be great for it, that's the awesome thing about this community.

I was wondering if you plan to implement a sewer system via instancing in the major cities of Chernarus+?

I really want too. We'd need to do some magic though (or instancing... but only I am really happy with instancing as a solution at the moment! the programmers want to do it properly).

Will the ragdoll system be initially available in the SA or you'll implement it later? I have fears about this because of the complexity of the RV engine. Keep up the good work, Rock on!

No ragdoll currently, it is a significant amount of work and one we haven't done yet. We looked at it, even tried some, but it was just going to cause far too much delay.

Is the idea of making security systems for underground structures still in? I remember you mentioned that if you ever get objects as their own entities going that you might be able to "program" them. .. i.e. grenade attached to a door etc

I'm playing a lot of Space Station 13 at the moment and it is giving me some tremendous inspiration for ideas for base construction. But expect this more towards the end of this year. We have much ground to cover first.

Has a chainsaw been added yet?

Nope, not yet. We've only really started on item art asset development recently, as we just confirmed all our desired item architectural changes are possible.

Do you have anything in the works for more obtainable skins like the hero and bandit skins?

You can cloth yourself in custom items for each body part. So effectively, you create your own skin. We're still looking at options for humanity and we aren't tied down to a system yet.

can we expect some unannounced surprises in the standalone release?

Absolutely. For the next 12 months at least, probably beyond that.

From my point of view, one big issue of Arma/the mod is that a camo-player being 20 meters away is way harder to see, then the same player being 400 meters away. Same goes for loot on current crash-sites etc. Mainly because of the rendering distance of vegetation. Are you aware, and do you agree that this is quite important? Any plans on how to address it?

It is important, we're aware of it - but we haven't got it planned to be addressed yet. We're still on these major, sweeping, architectural changes.

I've been quite impressed by seattle map in TOH. Would it be possible to rework the map to make it playable in DayZ?

It's very impressive map, but the issue is more it was designed for something specific (helicopters). DayZ needs interiors, they're really important. I think DayZ needs a new map, BI made, that features a western city... let's just say I have plans :)

Are we going to be able to hide from zombies in trees and bushes? Swarm of zombies, I'll just sit in this bush until they give up.

Yes. Although for a few months expect these new mechanics to spontaneously break and hilarity ensu

Has Marek Spanel (CEO at Bohemia Interactive Studio for those who don't know) played the mod/sa and given any feedback on it?

Marek has been extremely involved since very early in DayZ (since shortly after it's release really). He continues to be a key contributing member of the team both at a management/steering level and also with design.

How do you deal with the stress of the game? When you get overloaded with Questions and the difficulties with the development etc, whats your method of keeping things together?

Bizzarely enough, aside from running or one of my hobbies like mountaineering or wakeboarding (which I can rarely do here) - the greatest stress relief comes from modding someone elses game. I love KSP and love modding for it, and I am really in love with Space Station 13 at the moment, and loving making new maps and editing/modding it. There is something inherently beautiful about modding that I just love. I probably was having a slow-moving nervous breakdown towards the end of last year, really. But this year has been great, the progress has been outstanding and all the huge gambles we took architecturally last year have started paying off.

With implementation of clothing slots, what type of range of clothing has the team discussed and what kind factors have gone in on the decision process? (ex camouflage, body & head armor, degrading rates,)

All of the above!

How do you intend to build upon the vehicle system and how you repair vehicles. Will it be a standard hunt for parts or will you be able to remove a few working parts from other damaged vehicles to rebuild your own?

Not initially, vehicles will remain very, very basic. But later we will add great depth to the parts mechanic something like a "vehicle construction" system. This will be our first foray into "endgame" type content, after we have stabilized the build.

Will there still be a 'dot' system and will it potentially still allow ESP hacks (which are hard to detect)?

I want to remove the crosshair but I suspect we will have it configurable by servers. Same with 3rd person, but no firm decision is made yet we need to test everything out with you guys first. Hacking is something we will have to work on for the life of the product. I.e. forever. We just have to try this new architecture and continually innovate, adapt to the change of pace. That's just the reality of the world.

Are you still considering underground bases? It was mentioned early on but not so much since.

Once we have things really stable and solid, like a really good experience (I estimate loosely on my return from Everest in June), I think we will start with base construction. I've been playing A LOT of space station 13 and it has given me some great ideas.

The end game. While 'surviving' is a big part of the game, there is a point where you have little more to do apart from hunting down other people or continuing to hoard things. Is there something in the works for people to aspire to? Something like 'If you want to go to this island, you have to survive x days' or another survival based benefit? (even small achievements) I'm looking it from the perspective of longevity rather than having the game degrade into a FPS with cities, zombies and flares. tl;dr - I'm geared up rocket, Do I go out shooting people dfens style endlessly or live in the forest like a hermit? Is there something more to aspire to?

Firstly, once we have DayZ stabilized into something reasonable - we will look at some advanced vehicle stuff. I.e. sort of vehicle construction, adding different parts to vehicles etc... Then towards the end of the year, probably, looking at base construction as an entirely new game mode.

Can we expect any new guns/gear upon foundation release?

yes lots

Will each gun have their own unique sound in SA? I ask because it can be frustrating not knowing if I'm being shot at by an M24 or a DMR. Knowing the difference would help me know if I should make a break for it or not.

Ermm... sound isn't something we've played with alot yet. It's something we can easily improve - we want the freedom now to innovate, which means not getting locked down because we created certain content. The pace of our innovation is insane at the moment and is entirely changing the landscape of the future content changes.

You compare the SA to Minecraft a lot in terms of the foundation release and then content updates thereafter, alpha pricing, etc. Are there any plans in the forseeable future for a one-time or yearly Minecon-style DayZ event?

Probably, no plans as yet. I would say by June we have a good picture on the success of DayZ as a whole and sometime around then we'll have a good think about the future.

How long is the invite only SA test going to last before it opens up to the rest of us?

As long as it takes to smooth out the architectural issues.

the price

Cheap for a start, rising in price during development.

How often will updates come out ?

Daily/weekly. Pushed through steam as delta updates (<3 you steam!)

Will there be some kind of report system in case of hackers ?

TBC, likely something we will have to work on improving for the entire life of the product.

To what extent will customization go, e.g clothing, character

clothing, full range of selections: Head, eyes, torso, pants, feet, gloves, vest, backpack.

Will there be other animals in the woods such as wolfs,bears, a horde of zombies? Will there be caves, etc?

One of the artists is working on a deer, and I believe a rat has been done. The main issue is animations, they have to be generated (often by hand, although once a horse was mocap'd here in the studio for another game!).

that is the problem of chernarus, there is so much space but so few points of interest that the map feels empty(running through the woods for days and you wont see a person) and crowded(airfield) at the same time, hope he will balance that out a bit.

We agree on something! This has been a key focus for redevelopment of Chernarus.

What do you think the ideal server population? Obviously it depends on the map, but there seems to be an upper limit right now with very few servers able to support more than 60 players. To me 60 seems low for a map the size of Chernarus.

I think about 150 is a good number, from our testing in terms of design.

Will the standalone bring a huge difference FPS wise ?

Yes, but I follow the usual pessimistic thought that whatever FPS increases we see will likely be taken up with new things added to DayZ. A staggering amount of code that was unused by DayZ has been removed, and is ongoing. This includes UI code and object related code, everything. This provides some benefits. There has been a huge amount of art asset optimization, again helping. Overall, I would say DayZ standalone will offer a smoother experience but not necessarily an FPS increase. I.e if you run it on High now, you won't be running it on Very High but you should get a much smoother experience.

IMO lonewolf is extremely boring. I believe one of the corner stones of the game is just the human interaction with other players.

I really want to increase the amount of activity in the game, such as hunting and just general surviving/traveling. I hope this makes the lone-wolf play more interesting, which in turn will add more value to any human interaction.

Will the mechanics of inventory management be changed to something like ARMA 3's, where you have tabs for your person/backpack as well as drag+drop capability?

Drag and drop... confirmed. Like ArmA3's... no. The aim's a different. DayZ needs a viseral feedback of what you have. Your inventory is everything in DayZ. I see it as the mechanics that DayZ needs. Hell, you can take away the zombies and still have a game if the inventory is decent. So when you open your inventory screen, you will get instant feedback on everything, using 3d models and some good drag and drop functions. Let me put it this way, if you liked the original XCOM system, you'll like this one.

Are players going to have to re-learn how to play DayZ with SA? Meaning, has the core gameplay architecture changed so much that things we have learned (repairing vehicles, filling a jerry can, giving a blood transfusion) will have to be re-learned?

Yes

Are you surprised at the top 20 results in the ideas poll?

I was more surprised how many of them were on our list too.

Don't you think a number that high (150 players) will kind of ruin/water out the whole "zombie apocalypse feel" of the game? What sort of testing did you guys do to find an appropriate max-limit? Personally, I like the feeling of actually being in a zombie apocalypse. I want to feel lost and abandoned, so when I see another player, I want it to be something special and exciting. In my head, on a server with 100-150 players, you would stumble across players all the time, which would kind of ruin the "zombie apocalypse" feel, and other players would just become tiresome. I even find servers with 60 players to be a bit too much every now and then. I have obviously not played DayZ myself with 100-150 players yet, so I have no idea how it actually will play out. This is all just speculation from the top of my head.

In our testing during DayZ mod, its clear that the vast majority of people stick to the urban centers, and the carnage ensues. So I think, that with more people, it will make the cities both more lucrative (dead people loot), more scary (more crazy "nononononononono' people), and more risky (more bandits). I think this merges in quite well. At the end of the day, it will be the community that decides what the optimum number will be, because they set the terms of how the servers are. Popular servers will see more similar configurations, less popular ones will not be populated. Darwin would be proud!

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: January 18, 2013, 09:47:07 am »
+2
Been falling in love with Dayz all over again, and some of the new private hive maps are refreshing changes. Flying and landing a C-130 on Fallujah and crashing horribly while trying to land on Taviana, new fond memories from my ARMA-2 experience.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Ganner

• Duke
  • Renown: 553
  • Infamy: 138
  • The other white meat
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Ganner_of_Chaos
« Reply #1266 on: January 20, 2013, 08:25:22 am »
Been falling in love with Dayz all over again, and some of the new private hive maps are refreshing changes. Flying and landing a C-130 on Fallujah and crashing horribly while trying to land on Taviana, new fond memories from my ARMA-2 experience.

While i haven't played any of the other maps yet, I'm falling back in love with dayZ again too just on chernarus... though i kind of miss the days of full servers.  The Fuck it dudes and a few of us chaos puuties have been playing on an empty server, and we already located 3 cars, 2 bikes and a 2 choppers (we fixed up one, and left the other one alone but its almost repaired as well).  Almost makes it too easy when you can just drive circles around the NW airfield looting.

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • Renown: 1399
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Cooties
  • IRC nick: Nessaj
« Reply #1267 on: January 29, 2013, 01:19:06 am »
+5
Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: February 07, 2013, 07:41:40 pm »
+3

Offline Tor!

• He's Tor!
  • Marshall
  • Renown: 739
  • Infamy: 62
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Tor
« Reply #1269 on: February 08, 2013, 07:58:55 am »
+1
[00:53] <xant> i used to play on eu_1
[00:53] <xant> then i took an arrow to the knee

Offline Weren

• Duke
  • Renown: 588
  • Infamy: 18
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: irc://Weren
« Reply #1270 on: February 10, 2013, 03:36:58 am »
Aye, 'tis a proper masterpiece.  :P
Free speech is about to become terrorism.

Offline JasonPastman

• Count
  • Renown: 285
  • Infamy: 113
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guys That CMP Has Quoted [GTCHQ]
  • Game nicks: Jason_The_Great
« Reply #1271 on: February 13, 2013, 04:53:46 pm »
filter laughingman
If a majority be united by a common interest, the rights of the minority will be insecure - James Madison
It is not wisdom but Authority that makes a law - Thomas Hobbes.
Too busy not giving a fuck...

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: February 26, 2013, 01:54:15 pm »
http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/125577-dayz-mod-176-update

Huge patch for DayZ Mod and looks like it has a lot of neat changes like:

- zeds attack less through objects
- zeds zigzag less
- zed run speed reduced
- changes to zed detection (chance based systems removed)
- changes to crossbow bolts
- new item: hatchet
- new foods
- new "hunting" loot table for deer stands
+ a bunch of fixes and more

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: February 26, 2013, 05:18:06 pm »
http://dayzmod.com/forum/index.php?/topic/125577-dayz-mod-176-update

Huge patch for DayZ Mod and looks like it has a lot of neat changes like:

- zeds attack less through objects
- zeds zigzag less
- zed run speed reduced
- changes to zed detection (chance based systems removed)
- changes to crossbow bolts
- new item: hatchet
- new foods
- new "hunting" loot table for deer stands
+ a bunch of fixes and more

And that is an understatement !

Go look at the entire patchlog :shock:

Community patching is the shit

I'm going to play that again, Zeds sight/hearing/attacks/speed completely reworked + no more exploits (ammo in particular) + more Z' max = everything that I awaited for so long...

There is much more good things like new models for everything, crossbow bolts now working per stack of 6 (gogo crossbowmen!) and other things... lets do it!

Offline Weren

• Duke
  • Renown: 588
  • Infamy: 18
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: irc://Weren
« Reply #1274 on: February 26, 2013, 11:45:45 pm »
+1
Anyone tried DayZ: invasion 1944 yet? 'Tis pretty great.  :P
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 11:50:21 pm by Weren »
Free speech is about to become terrorism.