Author Topic: Tips for 1 handed/shield fighting?  (Read 15977 times)

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Callahan9119
Re: Tips for 1 handed/shield fighting?
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 10:26:18 pm »
Riding and power throw?

If you want to throw stuff from a horse you also need points in horse archery

Not the riding one...yet.

I don't think it's meant to be thrown from his horse anyway...it's just an all around build.

I think it's for more advanced users...I'm not gonna try it till I'm waaaaay better. I didn't really need build advice, just tactics, techniques etc. I'm sticking with that first build.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 10:28:14 pm by callahan9119 »
Hello

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2012, 10:35:30 pm »
The riding one isn't meant to throw from horseback, else it would have HA. It's simply meant to be a somewhat jack of all trades build. Shielder Thrower is the staple of NH. If we need cav, we sacrifice 1 PS to get the option, but only cav when necessary. (Horses can't shieldwall effectively...they tend to run off. jerks.)

Do not dare to try that 18/15 for a while though. You are complete garbage until 27-30 ish.

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2012, 10:45:32 pm »
Yeah, sticking with the "Huscarl" build.
Hello

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2012, 10:55:15 pm »
+3
Riding and power throw?

If you want to throw stuff from a horse you also need points in horse archery

wrong, you do not at all.  Hitting horses with axes is pretty childsplay and I routinely kill or hit enemy lancers charging me.  I also can do about 20% accuracy vs infantry, its a nice way to rattle them or soften up a piker that you cant reach.  HA is not a requirement by any means.

Cal, while you have 2 good builds to pick from, you are spending the stat points in the wrong way.

Get up to 15 STR first immediately & 5 PS
Get your throwing WPF maxed BEFORE melee.  Its alot easier to be able to throw as a low level than it is going thru high levels with shitty throwing.  I will normally go 50 melee/50 throwing then 75/75 then max my throwing.

Get 12 agi for 4shield skill to use heavy round
Get 15 agi for 5 riding so you can use your horse at later levels.

Finish +STR last 3 levels.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 10:56:59 pm by Digglez »

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2012, 11:01:59 pm »
wrong, you do not at all.  Hitting horses with axes is pretty childsplay and I routinely kill or hit enemy lancers charging me.  I also can do about 20% accuracy vs infantry, its a nice way to rattle them or soften up a piker that you cant reach.  HA is not a requirement by any means.

Cal, while you have 2 good builds to pick from, you are spending the stat points in the wrong way.

Get up to 15 STR first immediately & 5 PS
Get your throwing WPF maxed BEFORE melee.  Its alot easier to be able to throw as a low level than it is going thru high levels with shitty throwing.  I will normally go 50 melee/50 throwing then 75/75 then max my throwing.

Get 12 agi for 4shield skill to use heavy round
Get 15 agi for 5 riding so you can use your horse at later levels.

Finish +STR last 3 levels.

Yeah, unfortunately I didn't do that by design...I realized too late that I should have put some points into throwing SKILL if not PT...I can't even throw knives which friggin blows. But there's nothing I can do about it now. And I think respeccing again would destroy my soul.

I wonder if doing 15-20 again would be more or less obnoxious that 20-30 with crap throwing...
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 11:06:20 pm by callahan9119 »
Hello

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2012, 11:05:45 pm »
+1
Yeah, unfortunately I didn't do that by design...I realized too late that I should have put some points into throwing SKILL if not PT...I can't even throw knives which friggin blows. But there's nothing I can do about it now. And I think respeccing again would destroy my soul.

Nah, if you are at least lvl 12, you'll be useful.  15 STR with 5PS & PT.  Kill horses all day.  Soften up 2h'ers for your teammates.

Respcing to fix a build is alot less painful than playing thru low gen with a BADly done build heh

But your predicament has shown us a problem, perhaps we need to add a guide on HOW to fill out the build as well as the build itself.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 11:06:56 pm by Digglez »

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2012, 11:08:14 pm »
Nah, if you are at least lvl 12, you'll be useful.  15 STR with 5PS & PT.  Kill horses all day.  Soften up 2h'ers for your teammates.

Respcing to fix a build is alot less painful than playing thru low gen with a BADly done build heh

Yeah, you're right....damn my soul and head hurt from respeccing again. I had your Huscarl build to level 26 and I was shitty drunk and kept getting killed by archers and I was like "F this shit, I'm gonna be an archer"...I regretted it like 90 seconds after I hit the button.
Hello

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2012, 11:13:28 pm »
15 agility and 4 athletics, really? Always max PS and Athletics for melee builds
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2012, 01:22:15 am »
+1
15 agility and 4 athletics, really? Always max PS and Athletics for melee builds

Yeah, ESPECIALLY for shielders athletics is important. As a shielder you're already slower than other classes. It also takes longer for you to kill other people which means it's far easier to get surrounded. Then if you have low athletics on top of that...well...

Another bit of useful advice: use your shield as little as possible. If you don't know how to fight without a shield you are going to get crushed as soon as your shield breaks. Which if you're on NA can happen very quickly with the amount of str builds and axes. If you don't know how to handle yourself without a shield, you'll go down quick. You have to get used to darting in and out of range and recognizing which weapons will block stun you and which won't. Then when you get good at that, you can selectively put away your shield in order to get as much life as possible out of it. No more getting surprised by a broken shield.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2012, 01:35:45 am »
I don't want my head clouded with doubts about builds. I like being able to have some throwing weapon capabilities. If there is a reasonable way to slightly alter this
(click to show/hide)
build to somehow make it "better" then I'm all ears...but I'm pretty sold on it. I have more of a problem with skills, not builds. And my shield almost never breaks...I'm gonna keep using it till I gain a better feel for the game and improve my situational awareness.
Hello

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2012, 01:38:39 am »
+2
just take a point from ironflesh and put it to athletics

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • Renown: 454
  • Infamy: 367
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard, ex Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Mlekce, Sergius
  • IRC nick: Mlekce
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2012, 01:45:27 am »
That class is so fustrating to play man. Low dmg,weapons glance a lot,you are slow,weapons are short,everyone with 2h weapon spam on you.
I tried it once and i rage respec to 2h. I suggest you use steel pick,nordic champion sword,knightly arming sword or arabian cav sword.
If you play battle whatch out when you are in the mob because almoust always in some tight maps like towns someone will block you from behind,and try to live untill the end of round,because everyone will be wounded so it is easier to kill them. Also get a lot of armor,and be patient.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2012, 01:50:31 am »
That class is so fustrating to play man. Low dmg,weapons glance a lot,you are slow,weapons are short,everyone with 2h weapon spam on you.
I tried it once and i rage respec to 2h. I suggest you use steel pick,nordic champion sword,knightly arming sword or arabian cav sword.
If you play battle whatch out when you are in the mob because almoust always in some tight maps like towns someone will block you from behind,and try to live untill the end of round,because everyone will be wounded so it is easier to kill them. Also get a lot of armor,and be patient.

Ugh. Don't go down the dark path and use the lame-ass steel pick.

If you're looking for skills, the most important thing a shielder needs is footwork. Footwork is FAR more important for shielder than ANY other class. As a shielder, your weapon is shorter than everyone else and carrying a shield makes you move slower than everyone else. Also, you'll often be outnumbered because you're slow and do little damage. You also have a higher chance of glancing, which again, makes footwork important. Watch good shielders and learn footwork. It's the most important 1h skill.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Mlekce

• Earl
  • Renown: 454
  • Infamy: 367
  • cRPG Player
  • Remove kebab
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard, ex Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Mlekce, Sergius
  • IRC nick: Mlekce
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2012, 01:59:36 am »
i will build my next gen like this

Level 30 (4 420 577 xp)

Strength: 21
Agility: 15
Skills to attributes: 2
Ironflesh: 4
Power Strike: 7
Shield: 4
Athletics: 5
Riding: 5
Weapon Master: 4
One Handed: 138
Throwing: 0
health points 64

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2012, 02:02:22 am »
just take a point from ironflesh and put it to athletics

Will do, if it's better.

I use the champion sword...well not now because I'm respeccing again  :mad:, but eventually.

I can't wear too much armor because of the throwing penalty...and more weight means I'm slower. I wear mostly vikingy medium armor, Haubergeon, Nordic Conical Helmet, leather gloves and mail chausses. I don't think I can go heavier than that. I like having throwing, won't change that.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2012, 02:23:30 am by callahan9119 »
Hello