Author Topic: Tips for 1 handed/shield fighting?  (Read 15981 times)

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Callahan9119
Tips for 1 handed/shield fighting?
« on: April 16, 2012, 09:30:55 pm »
I'm currently level 20 with stats of 13 str, 12 agi, 124 1 handed skill. I have 4 in IF, PS, Shield, Athletics and WM.

I seem to be making no progress, in fact I think I am actually regressing in ability. I believe I'm right that the "left to right" swing has the most advantages, so I try and use it as much as I can. What are good fighting tips for a shield user? Granted I have really played no M&B for a year and had never played MP until this week, but I have never played an online game where I just felt like I was making 0 progress in terms of skill...I get super bummed when I play, but I keep grinding hoping I'll have that moment where shit clicks.

I would have been level 30 by now except for a drunken respec...not sure how much the levels would matter though in terms of my efficacy on the battlefield.

This is the goal I'm shooting for in terms of build, courtesy of Digglez:

(click to show/hide)

Or this other Digglez build:

(click to show/hide)

I'll probably not do the build with riding this go around...but still undecided.
Hello

Offline Remy

• Knight
  • Renown: 68
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remy_the_Fox
  • IRC nick: Remy
Re: Tips for 1 handed/shield fighting?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 09:57:41 pm »
I am sure you are making progress, however, some people here have been playing M&B online since whenever the Beta was.

It will take some time before you can compete with people who have over 500+ hours playing this game.  :wink:
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Fox, Horse Archer, Tker of Chagan.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 10:01:08 pm »
+1
I definitely suggest 21/15 for now (pure build). 18 strength would be hard for someone who is not familiar with turning into swings, etc.

Left swing: Best for close distance
Overhead: Best at medium distance and great for 2+ vs 1 person
right swing: Best for long distance.

Be mindful of which ways you are moving when you are fighting.  Strafing is your friend.

Most of the time, strafe left if you want to right swing, strafe right if you want to left swing.
When fighting, it is good to strafe away from your opponent's swing direction.

When you left swing, turn right. When you right swing, turn left. It's up to you to decide whether you should turn and by how much, especially if you're strafing in that direction.

Beware of playing overly defensive. You can always bring your sword out and cancel whenever you want with a block. If you're overly defensive, you'll lose your pace against the opponent's offense.

Be mindful of your counters: Axes, Players on horses, and obviously people ganging up on you. If possible, try to be in an advantageous situation, and simply avoid these people if you don't feel confident.

In group fights, you want to use overheads primarily, and some left swings. If you use a short 1her, use left swings primarily, then overheads. It is a nice strategy to hold your swing until you can time a simultaneous swing with a teammate or at your opponent's back.

If you want practice, try going to the duel server for around 10 minutes before going to battle mode. Be aware of your mistakes and successful tactics while fighting.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 10:03:45 pm by san. »

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • Renown: 859
  • Infamy: 198
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 10:02:20 pm »
I think throwing is the least thing you should be focusing on, since in singleplayer they are useless that you have no experience with them. Horseback throwing is the hardest thing in mount&blade. In cRPG, it is most likely underpowered even.

Well, throwing is a hard thing to do. Unless you are planning to utilize from some cowardly/lucky kills from throwing I would tell you to skip it. I think a shielder with 21/15 and maximized IF, PS, Ath and shield would be good. Spend your remaining points into weapon master and you'll be quite strong in melee.

For fighting tips, first of all there are 3 things you have to keep in mind. You have the fastest melee weapon overall (if you do not count short poles and twohands). After all, your weapon is actually faster than all greatswords. Second, you have the less damage melee weapons. So you will need to hit for more times than they do to you. Thirdly, you have shortest weapons in melee. Even after you hit greatsword user for two times if he somehow manages to outrange you and spam, he can slash your guts. Do not think that you can set the 3rd hit to your noob opponent who can't even properly block manually. That noob can actually take you down.

Off-topic edit:
It will take some time before you can compete with people who have over 500+ hours playing this game.  :wink:
It has been over 1500 hours and this is only for warband. I must have more for Mount&Blade :)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 10:03:53 pm by Ronin »
Quote from: BlindGuy
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

My UU key is broken incase you can't tell :D

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 10:03:35 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for.

I think throwing is the least thing you should be focusing on, since in singleplayer they are useless that you have no experience with them. Horseback throwing is the hardest thing in mount&blade. In cRPG, it is most likely underpowered even.

Well, throwing is a hard thing to do. Unless you are planning to utilize from some cowardly/lucky kills from throwing I would tell you to skip it. I think a shielder with 21/15 and maximized IF, PS, Ath and shield would be good. Spend your remaining points into weapon master and you'll be quite strong in melee.

Before I repecced, throwing was where I got most of my kills...and tons of dead horses, this time around I waited to do throwing till the end.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 10:08:09 pm by callahan9119 »
Hello

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 10:06:32 pm »
Double post.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 10:08:30 pm by callahan9119 »
Hello

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 10:08:02 pm »
For shielders its important to listen to the opponents hits on your shield and dont look if they hit.
To avoid getting fainted too much hit back as soon as you hear the enemy hit on your shild. Thats the exact moment to start your attack.

After you got the basics (what the guy above told) you can start to try some faints yourself.
You have to stop your swing with a block and hit immediatly again in another or the same direction.

Just watch other shielders with good scores if you are death. You can get some of the tricks just by watching others doing it.

PS: Is it feint or faint? I really dont know it :)
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 10:10:51 pm by Camaris »

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 10:15:00 pm »
+2
Don't get rid of throwing. Seriously. I did 2 gens as shielder/thrower and 1 as pure shielder. I felt naked without my throwing weapons when trying to either fight an S key hero or other kind of agi whore, or when cav decide they wont leave till i'm dead.

1 Heavy throwing axe to a charging horse is a dead horse. A few daggers to the backs of a fleeing archer is a soon to be decapitated archer. Or hell, maybe Goretooth just rounded the corner after soloing my team while eating a sandwich. No way in hell I want to melee him. Throwing axes and PRAY that you hurt him enough to run away. (Or get a lucky kill ;))

Also, it gives you the option to go be a pure thrower for a few maps if you want  to save money. But in general, it just makes you more versatile. 7 PS is more than enough, as is 5 ath. (You can drop a pt in IF for a pt in ath)

TL;DR Throwing kills horses and agi whores/archers, which are coincidentally shield counters.

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 10:16:47 pm »

PS: Is it feint or faint? I really dont know it :)

Feint:
(click to show/hide)

Faint:
(click to show/hide)

Thanks for all the advice guys.
Hello

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 10:19:29 pm »
Ok then, you seem to be liking throwing. You may try this build as well:
STR: 21
AGI: 15

Ironflesh: 0
Pwr Strike: 7
Pwr Throw: 7
Shield: 5
Athletics: 5
Weapon master: 5

This was the build of a guy with an avatar that has a man in blue kettle helmet or somethin. Forgot his name. The thing you will be sacrificing is 10 bonus health from the ironflesh. Other then that, you will be dealing be dealing the same damage as a pure thrower in throwing and the same damage as a shielder in melee. You might play with it a little, that you might make it 4 in shield and 5 in power throw so you can have 3 ironflesh perhaps; for the sake of better survival.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 10:20:33 pm by Ronin »
Seems the fascists are gaining ground once again in UKR... right vving politics is SO bad for the general populace but STILL in times of trouble the uneducated turn to them for help, simply because they are so amoral they vvill supply those vvilling to fight vvith vveapons rather than knovvledge.

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 429
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tribunal
  • Game nicks: Vivec_the_Poet
  • IRC nick: Umbra
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 10:20:35 pm »
Strength: 21
Agility: 15
Hit points: 64

Skills to attributes: 2

Ironflesh: 4
Power Strike: 7
Athletics: 4
Power Throw: 4
Weapon Master: 5

One Handed: 123
Throwing: 98

This build is flawed, put one more point in ath and one less in IF. Or put none in IF and max out ath, PT - but then you will need more throwing proficency.

If i were you i would ditch the throwing and go

Ironflesh: 7
Power Strike: 7
Athletics: 5
Weapon Master: 5
One Handed: 148

If you still want to be a thrower i recomend this:

Strength: 18
Agility: 18
Hit points: 65
Skills to attributes: 2
Ironflesh: 6
Power Strike: 6
Athletics: 6
Power Throw: 5
Weapon Master: 6
One Handed: 129
Throwing: 110

Also are you NA or EU?

Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.

Offline callahan9119

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 10:21:40 pm »
Gonna stick with the Digglez build.

NA
Hello

Offline Ronin

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 10:22:56 pm »
Since you are going to be a shielder you may want to use heavyish armor, unlike pure throwers. So put enough points into throwing wpf accordingly.

Offline San

• Developer
  • Renown: 1456
  • Infamy: 143
  • 1/Sympathy = Divide By Zero
    • View Profile
    • My youtube Brawl videos
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: San_of_Chaos
  • IRC nick: San
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 10:23:21 pm »
All you need is to be familiar with basics to be decent. After that, you can use your own creativity and knowledge of the game mechanics to perform even better with your own style.

My first build was a shield+thrower, and I didn't really start to flourish until I went to a pure 1h build.

Lack of ironflesh means you'll be getting killed in 1 hit on many occasions. Make sure you really like throwing before committing to using it as a sidearm.

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 429
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tribunal
  • Game nicks: Vivec_the_Poet
  • IRC nick: Umbra
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 10:23:56 pm »
Gonna stick with the Digglez build.

NA

Riding and power throw?

If you want to throw stuff from a horse you also need points in horse archery
Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.