Author Topic: The Snitch Culture of crpg  (Read 7620 times)

Offline Swaggart

• Earl
  • Renown: 481
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
The Snitch Culture of crpg
« on: April 01, 2012, 05:30:11 pm »
+15
I used to play a mod for a game that was roughly 9 years old. The concept of the game itself is fun and it had a list of rules that governed gameplay and a method to report those who broke rules when admins were not around to see it. As you can probably imagine, people got sanction happy (sanction was the term used when someone was punished for breaking rules) and was soon used as a method to lash out, troll, and just be a fucking tool to those you didn't like or were better at the game.

As you can probably imagine, this led to a very divisive community that makes this one look mature and collected. It inevitably led to a lot of veterans leaving simply because the amount of acidity on the forums led to people being banned almost weekly for downright questionable things sometimes simply because they were either guilty of association or they beat someone who was awfully butthurt.

So what is my point you say? As long as there is a way to snitch people, as crpg has with the ban request threads, it will lead to hard feelings and will eventually foster bitter people who couldn't give two shits about the other person playing the game.

I'm going to use an example that I saw today, and I'm in no way trying to start a trial by forum here, but the thread were Lt Anders requests a ban because some Chaos members were allegedly valour farming. I'm not even sure how you can prove that, but what I'm more concerned about is why Anders would go through the trouble of wanting a ban when he himself wasn't even a victim of anything.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that we should remove the method of reporting buttfuck trolls who exist solely to screw up the game for others. I just believe we should all take a breather, relax, and try not to get ban happy, especially if you weren't the victim of anything. Snitches snitch for some benefit, but people here in crpg do it simply because they don't like this person or this clan and will go out of their way to get them punished for something seemingly innocuous. Simply put, this will lead to an environment where it is almost impossible to have fun and play the game because people will be too concerned with screenshotting and frapsing the shit out of the game to actually play.

tl;dr: Relax, play the game, and don't worry about getting people banned.

Edit: Bolded part a lot of people seem to ignore/forget.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 09:37:59 pm by Swaggart »

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: The Snitch Culture of crpg
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 05:39:08 pm »
+7
I just believe we should all take a breather, relax, and try not to get ban happy, especially if you weren't the victim of anything.
Not going to happen, this game got all serious and people got all vengeful. I think its the multiplier that changed the mentality from 'eh, shit happens' to 'oh my god imma ban yo ass'.

Offline rustyspoon

• Marshall
  • Renown: 794
  • Infamy: 164
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rustyspoon, Sir_Rusty_Of_Spoon, Rusty_the_Spoonarian
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 05:40:43 pm »
+5
I agree. People spend WAY too much time giving a shit about what other people are doing.

Not going to happen, this game got all serious and people got all vengeful. I think its the multiplier that changed the mentality from 'eh, shit happens' to 'oh my god imma ban yo ass'.

This too.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Grumbs

• طالبان
  • King
  • Renown: 1170
  • Infamy: 617
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 05:51:11 pm »
Snitches get stitches!

Really though, rules are there to encourage people to play in a way that benefits the majority. If people breaks a rule and theres no impact on the players then it doesn't matter. Thats the instance when someone would be snitching - trying to get someone banned just because they think they have an angle to come from rather than because of the activity done itself.

But you shouldn't assume all people who report others are snitches or that people breaking rules aren't really harming anyone. It all depends on the particular situation. Valour farming by having zero interest in your team, going into a corner and then wasting people's time at the end DOES have an impact on the majority on the server, so that sort of stuff should be reported and that would not be snitching at all. So it depends on the context and particular situation, and I'm glad we have active admins and people that respect the rules to the point were they will report players if the end result benefits the majority (discouraging the behaviour)
If you have ranged troubles use this:

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • Renown: 604
  • Infamy: 327
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 06:37:26 pm »
(click to show/hide)

[N]o

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2012, 06:42:41 pm »
+2
I think its the multiplier that changed the mentality from 'eh, shit happens' to 'oh my god imma ban yo ass'.

I have to agree.

This multiplier/tick per minute system changed the game a lot, made it way more frustrating.

Sure it was a decision that had to be made, but it's not doing good for the mod in my opinion.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline a_bear_irl

• Duke
  • Renown: 540
  • Infamy: 252
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 06:52:20 pm »
+1
the problem is the ban request forum, it has no redeeming qualities and is pretty much only used by spergs who get pissed off at someone troling them in chat or whatever and spec that person until they catch them breaking a rule.

delete the ban request forums or make them for unban requests only, because HEY THREE DAYS AGO THIS HAPPENED BAN HIM FOR IT NOW is really stupid
FREE ALLERS

Offline Entaro

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Snowhawk Clan
  • Faction: Snowhawk Clan
  • Game nicks: SHC_Entar
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 07:44:50 pm »
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that we should remove the method of reporting buttfuck trolls who exist solely to screw up the game for others. I just believe we should all take a breather, relax, and try not to get ban happy.

Good post, I agree with ya.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 11:47:36 pm »
+5
Need snitches because anti-griefing design is quite lacking.  Other mods prevent griefing with much stricter game design

Offline RandomDude

• Earl
  • Renown: 431
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • I play now! but I suck =(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RandomDude
  • IRC nick: RandomDude
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 11:57:39 pm »
+4
Well dont get me wrong, less work is kinda welcome but if i was a player without admin powers, id be pretty pissed off when some guy griefed me or trolled me w/e and I couldnt do anything about it.

Players put ban requests in bcos they want sone justice and fair play, sometimes they are idiots too, but im happy to punish the requester.

Offline 22nd_King_Plazek

• Baron
  • Renown: 87
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 12:33:04 am »
It is the admins job, if you do not want the work then why be an admin.

Leaving these things in the hands of the general playerbase just leads to bullshit like griefing people by afk reporting them in combat etc.

Offline Chris_P_Bacon

• Count
  • Renown: 195
  • Infamy: 37
  • I'm a pig.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Ser_Chris_P_Bacon_Astralis, an_angry_piglet, A_Canadian_Seal_Clubber_Eh
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 12:43:09 am »
+2
It is the admins job, if you do not want the work then why be an admin.

Leaving these things in the hands of the general playerbase just leads to bullshit like griefing people by afk reporting them in combat etc.
Admins aren't omnipotent. Once you've been around for long enough and you know who all the admins are it's very easy to be a right off pain in the ass when no admins are looking. The ability that the playerbase has to report (note that reporting literally does nothing unless there is enough proof to act) people who are breaking the rules simply makes the game a better place.
The removal of the ban request forums would be similar to telling a citizen of a country that they weren't allowed to call the cops if they saw someone commit a crime. Obviously real life crime is a bigger deal, but it's the same exact concept.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 12:52:34 am »
tl;dr: Relax, play the game, and don't worry about getting people banned.

Don't spoil my fun and I won't worry.

*shrugs*
Well dont get me wrong, less work is kinda welcome but if i was a player without admin powers, id be pretty pissed off when some guy griefed me or trolled me w/e and I couldnt do anything about it.

Players put ban requests in bcos they want sone justice and fair play, sometimes they are idiots too, but im happy to punish the requester.
+1
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline AntiBlitz

• Duke
  • Renown: 636
  • Infamy: 187
  • cRPG Player
  • American Scum
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 01:36:59 am »
+5
Need snitches because anti-griefing design is quite lacking.  Other mods prevent griefing with much stricter game design

speaking of snitches......................

let me just point out a lil something to you all, some of you seem to have this urge, this drive to want to be something you are not.  Its like a mall cop who thinks he is a real cop.  Your vigilante work is appreciated at times, but the majority of you are like the fuckin whiners and complainers of our game.  As proof to your urges and needs, let me just point out these statistics, honestly quite sad..........

In the following links gaze your eyes to the right lower corner and look at the activity, please note where these individuals seem to spend most of their time, quite shocking isnt it.
Digglez
http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php?action=profile;area=statistics;u=5880
Idlewood
http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php?action=profile;area=statistics;u=14294
Tank Burner
http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php?action=profile;area=statistics;u=6659
Lt Anders - he isnt quite as bad, tho still man chill the fuck out, never met a guy who is so into seeing people banned constantly.
http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php?action=profile;area=statistics;u=178

Offline Swaggart

• Earl
  • Renown: 481
  • Infamy: 92
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 01:40:57 am »
+2
Like I said in the original post, if someone's being a total douche of course you should report. When you're fishing for a ban just because you don't like the person/clan it ruins the community.