Author Topic: Lock-Down Fiefs?  (Read 1043 times)

Offline Tanken

• King
  • Renown: 1463
  • Infamy: 395
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Tanken
Lock-Down Fiefs?
« on: March 31, 2012, 12:50:04 am »
+6
So I got to thinking, and truth be told I've never owned a Fief in Strategus, so this may be something that is already in place. But if not, I wanted to suggest it.

There should be a way to Lock-Down Fiefs. Close them off so people can't come and stay in your fiefs without first requesting permission and being added to a list. Of course, attacking the fief negates this, but it would be nice so your fief has the option to harbor people as well as keep people out. Nothing is more annoying than having someone in your fief you don't want, and have to wait for someone to kick them out. Should be an access list that is active while the owner of the fief does not change. This could make for improved trade-routes, where traders have to know what cities will allow them in, and make arrangements ahead of time, perhaps even sparing a little bit of their goods or some gold in exchange for the Fiefs' hospitality.

Just a thought, like I said, I don't know if something like this exists, but I don't think it does. And I also don't think it would be all that hard to implement, whether in this strategus, or the next.

Food for thought!

- Tanken
« Last Edit: March 31, 2012, 09:25:50 am by Tank Burner »
Below is a Collection of Finalists in my Design my Avatar contest -- They all did Awesome!
Thanks to all of those who contributed.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
Re: Lock-Down Fiefs?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 01:24:15 am »
+3
The closest thing to this is cranking up the cost to 100 gold fee per hour, that drives them out pretty damn quick.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 03:14:54 am »
+1
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline 22nd_King_Plazek

• Baron
  • Renown: 87
  • Infamy: 57
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 05:04:17 am »
+3
Would be good if there was some sort of blacklist/whitelist based on player names and or factions.

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 05:10:13 am »
Yeah, being able to give a pass to your ally while balling everyone else with the 100 fee would be very good.

I'm not sure about the gate locking thing, it would make spying impossible. Maybe if you could "spy" on a fief and it cost 25 strat gold and had a % chance... maybe that would be a work around, perhaps you could get the deets mailed to you account... *scratches head*
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Tanken

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 09:25:21 am »
+1
Don't want to over complicate it. We are talking about unpaid, semi-trained developers here Frank  :wink:

But yes, Blacklisting/Whitelisting different factions, clans, or people would essentially be what this is about. A Global lockdown of the Fief would allow no one, and may require that the person actually approaches the Village or Castle and has to wait until they're accepted in, or be added to an access list ahead of time so if the Fief is locked down, they're still allowed in.
Below is a Collection of Finalists in my Design my Avatar contest -- They all did Awesome!

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2012, 07:08:47 am »
To manage your village you the owner must first be IN the village

you can kick anyone out you like, but there is no stored list that prevents them from just re-entering.  thats why you hire muggers, rapists, thieves & murderers for after you kick someone out

Offline Slantedfloors

• Baron
  • Renown: 135
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: LLJK_Slanted
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2012, 08:37:09 am »
This is another idea that sounds good in theory, but would get abused so fast it would make your head spin.

I mean, it's already near impossible for neutral players or small clans to get a crafting base going because most fiefs are jacked up to 100g/hr, with this they wouldn't even be able to enter a town and sell any goods they've created or stolen.

If it absolutely had to go in, I'd say that any whitelist only effect your placement on the map - i.e, whitelisted players get the protection provided by the fief, while everyone else still has access to the fief's functions but is still outside and vulnerable on the strat map.

Offline Tanken

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 08:28:53 pm »
I agree there could be issues, but I think that's why it would be important for Traders and Crafters to find feifs ahead of time, just as they would have in reality. It's like booking a flight trip, you want to know wat terminals you'll be laid over in, for how long, and what the total cost would be. Some clans might even have a little underground railroad in their fiefs to allow for safe passage through the territory quickly.

However, the main reason I suggested this is that my clan has 15 guys, constantly crafting trade goods in one fief, and when someone enters in momentarily and they decide to craft, it often times goes unchecked and our crafting rate goes down. That's a pain in the ass.

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2012, 11:19:02 pm »
Could only be implemented if there is a chance for non-fief clans/players to craft elsewhere.
Strat would be over soon if you would implement this.

Offline Vingnir the Wanderer

• Knight
  • Renown: 50
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Snowhawk
  • Game nicks: Ving
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 04:40:10 am »
Also, if you have lock down for fiefs, everyone who wasnt part of the ten largest clans, would be locked out of being able to do anything. in other words, it becomes a game for the mega-clans and everyone else is ass out, and has no reason to even attempt playing, which means, yeah maybe YOU get what you want, but the Strat community doesnt grow, it probably shrinks, and what your left with is a social club for 200 people.

I mean, how can anyone raise an army to claim a feif or even fight, once all the fiefs are claimed? Its already hard enough as it is to break in against the mega-clans with the file cabinet full of CD keys...

And a social club for 200 people, aint going to prosper, improve, expand, in fact, its likely it will go down in flames when those 200 get bored with it.

What strat needs, is more fiefs, with more cost to control them, for particular guilds, depending on how far they are from a declared 'capital city',  AND additionally, something almost opposite of what your asking for: A morale factor in all fiefs, that decreases as the current owner ups the visiting fee. This would result in a higher cost for an over-expanded empire, while retaining viability for a smaller entity to control one or two 'close together' feifs at the current cost and organization.

When a particular town's morale gets to a certain 'lowpoint' it should trigger a 'peasant revolt' which then schedules a battle  - the disgruntled townspeople versus the current tyrannical owner and his loyal army...

THIS i think would make things alot more dynamic, changing, challenging and, fun for more people.

« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 04:47:31 am by Vingnir the Wanderer »

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 04:49:20 am »
+1

Also, there should maybe be a way to craft and more importantly recruit OUTSIDE of fiefs, at a much reduced rate, so that locking down the fiefs doesnt strangle the smaller clans completely out of existence maybe...

« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 04:50:21 am by Vingnir the Wanderer »

Offline Lordark

• Count
  • Renown: 155
  • Infamy: 206
  • cRPG Player
  • Please respect all admins and thier decisions.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Solo
  • Game nicks: Lordark
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 09:01:46 am »
+1
waiting for chadz to input Bandit fiefs for small clans
Never forget the day Dragons came to Calradia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfLxHJY0lQI&feature=related
My personal theme song, We will never surrender!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hg1xqAjQ5e4

Offline Tanken

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 10:22:42 am »
Words

Locking down fiefs can actually help Little clans grow though. If they are friendly towards one clan, they can go into that clan's fief and have protection of outsiders coming in and dropping down the crafting/recruiting rate. Locking down fiefs opens up the doorway for people interacting, requesting permission to be in the fief, and gives you more of a reason for your clan to want to own a fief or attack another fief.

Good recruitment rates nearby? Take that castle.
Neighbors locking you out? Kill em.
Trade-route going to be a long one? Better route your destination ahead of time and do some planning.

It'd be interesting to see, maybe make it an option that has a certain time-frame or have the fief owner have to pay in order for it to be implemented per day. Lock-down Fief could be 1,000 strategus gold a day.

Dunno, like I said, it's all food for thought, but I don't see it as something that's going to ruin the game for the common player, if anything it asks them to cozy up to an existing faction with a large prowess and get protection. If not for Knights of Antioch's hospitality, KUTT would have been out of Strategus a month ago or so.

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 11:09:19 am »
Yeah defenitely food for thought, and now that you put it that way, personally, i could see both your and my ideas working in unison, creating more variability and less chance of dominance by numbers alone.

I like it.  8-)