Author Topic: Game of Thrones MMO Announced  (Read 3754 times)

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • Renown: 275
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Billy_Whitmore, Andre_Whitmore, Gideon_Stargrave
Game of Thrones MMO Announced
« on: March 18, 2012, 11:14:32 am »
+2
http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/03/09/gdc-2012-bigpoint-discusses-the-game-of-thrones-mmo

• Browser based
  • Focused on PvP
  • They have rights to the HBO show so all the armor and stuff will be modeled the same
  • Directional combat
  • 3 factions (Starks/Lannister/Baratheon)
  • Player guilds can capture/control keeps/castles/etc and also realign with another faction (politics)
  • and... looks awfuly like Warband-quality graphics :D

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 11:16:12 am by bilwit »

Most of us are currently living off relatives, friends, parttime-jobs or savings, to be able to work as much and cheaply as possible.

Offline Latvian

• King
  • Renown: 1494
  • Infamy: 379
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • с̴͎͖͈͟͠ͅу̷̸̻̣͇͚̫͎͇̩̟̖̪͇̯к̀́͠͞҉͎͚͎а̰̤͕̱͔̬͖̟̺͍͎́͞ ̸͝
    • View Profile
  • Faction: one and only DESERTERS
  • Game nicks: u know its me when you see me
Re: Game of Thrones MMO Announced
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 01:46:36 pm »
i would play that o.0
people are like potatoes, they come in different shapes and sizes and they all are beautifull
masturbating while looking in a mirror isnt wrong unless its the rear view mirror and you are driving a school buss.

it doesnt matter if you are happiest person or an unfortunate weeper, a powerfull beast or a terrifying creature. we are all equal, in the eyes of the reaper.

Offline B3RS3RK

• Earl
  • Renown: 377
  • Infamy: 103
  • cRPG Player
  • Sexy and I know it.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Saracen_Berserkaziz_Amir
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 01:49:55 pm »
+1
Well, NOW they are pressing the apple for the last drop...

Strategy game - sucked
RPG - Still pending
MMO - Oo?

What comes next, Sims - Game of Thrones Edition?
Maybe it woud be better for me to find out where you life and kill you when you are satch a Soziopath. You have enough now.
"I don´t believe in anything, I´m just here for the violence."

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 01:51:27 pm »
lol, so many companies want a slice from the cake Taleworlds got in this "directional medieval melee combat" genre.

Isn't that right? Now we get filled with mediocre or sucky clones of the original.
(Judging from WoTR only, but we'll see how it goes)

So, yeah.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 03:06:37 pm by Christo »

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 429
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tribunal
  • Game nicks: Vivec_the_Poet
  • IRC nick: Umbra
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 02:57:14 pm »
http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/03/09/gdc-2012-bigpoint-discusses-the-game-of-thrones-mmo

• Browser based
  • Focused on PvP
  • They have rights to the HBO show so all the armor and stuff will be modeled the same

• Directional combat

• 3 factions (Starks/Lannister/Baratheon)
  • Player guilds can capture/control keeps/castles/etc and also realign with another faction (politics)
  • and... looks awfuly like Warband-quality graphics :D

I dont fucking care about anything else, just please dont mess this part up and the game will be awesome.

I read the whole article and i must say i am impressed with what i read about the Pvp and game mechanics. Now, actualy implementig it so it works.... we will just have to see about that one
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 03:05:40 pm by Fluffy_Muffin »
Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • Renown: 1399
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Cooties
  • IRC nick: Nessaj
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 07:12:51 pm »
Bigpoint utilizes Pay to win though -- as all their former games have been:

Refreshingly, when asked whether owning the biggest wallet would be akin to an instant win button, the Bigpoint reps said no. In fact, they emphasized that skill gained through gameplay would basically always beat financing. Jorgen said, "A skilled player will always beat a paying player, even though he is many levels below. [...] We want to really emphasize that all the items in the game can be gained through gameplay." He further stated that some items and skills will be looted-only or available only in game and never available for purchase.

Same explanation every P2W developer use, never changed the facts once released but we'll see. Nothing more dreadful to gaming than P2W.

Doing it as a browser-game is a huge plus, playing games in some form or capacity via your browser is the future because it is much easier to attract a broader audience, I'm personally a big fan of browser-based technologies and there's a lot of game-styles (and games) that easily could be brought into a browser system which would make it achieve much more overall. You'll see this over the next couple of years as companies begin to pick up on the technology.

Bandits roaming the lands will be allied with whatever faction owns those lands. If players are in lands controlled by their own faction, there won't be any PvP unless you enforce it it. However, if you move into a hostile faction's land, you will be open for PvP.

Territory control will be achieved through a siege system. There will be eight castles, 16 forts, and many keeps in the game. To own an area, players must conquer, control, and keep the castle within. But before even getting the chance to take the castle, the attackers must first conquer the land's keeps and then the forts, finally working toward the castle. Castle sieges will be 50v50, fort sieges will be 30v30, and keep sieges will be 20v20. Different castles and lands will have different resources, spurring trading within the game.

If they truly replicate Warband's system properly and capture some of the combat charm no doubt this game will do good, plus bring more attention to directional combat.
Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 07:43:14 pm »
If they truly replicate Warband's system properly and capture some of the combat charm no doubt this game will do good, plus bring more attention to directional combat.

I don't think we really want directional combat to have a lot of attention actually. Take FPS for example, lots of attention, but the most played games are quite mediocre, especially due to a lack of originality and level+game design quality.

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 08:24:47 pm »
I don't think we really want directional combat to have a lot of attention actually. Take FPS for example, lots of attention, but the most played games are quite mediocre, especially due to a lack of originality and level+game design quality.

You forget that the first few innovative pioneer games have always championed similar just as good if not better games. I do not think it will be different for directional combat, but will most just exploit upon it? Yeah I agree with you 100% there, but that's already too late in general since gaming is being gobbled up by big bucks and have been for a while.

When I attend conferences around the World I truly see how gaming have changed, especially in terms of presentation which I sometimes find despicable to be honest, but gaming as a whole in terms of design, production, budgets and so on is moving more towards Hollywood standards. That is however the path consumers have laid out for us and until the gaming populace buy their entertainment responsibly it is the only pathway we can walk upon.
Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 08:41:28 pm »
You forget that the first few innovative pioneer games have always championed similar just as good if not better games. I do not think it will be different for directional combat, but will most just exploit upon it? Yeah I agree with you 100% there, but that's already too late in general since gaming is being gobbled up by big bucks and have been for a while.

When I attend conferences around the World I truly see how gaming have changed, especially in terms of presentation which I sometimes find despicable to be honest, but gaming as a whole in terms of design, production, budgets and so on is moving more towards Hollywood standards. That is however the path consumers have laid out for us and until the gaming populace buy their entertainment responsibly it is the only pathway we can walk upon.

I agree but honestly the lack of responsability from the average customer is not really a problem for "connoisseurs", the fate of videogames is identical to that of movies. First we only have the independant gems, then the industry grows and produces a lot of bad products, largely dominating the amount of good products, but that amount stays stable. It doesn't fade away, since there is a demand. A certainly lower demand than that of mainstream products, but important enough to support a niche for independant studios.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 08:51:08 pm »
just... lol

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 08:53:17 pm »
+6
I really think that the way gaming has evolved (big studios, broad audience) has actually increased the chance for independent game creators. The big companies are so big and worried about not reaching the broadest possible audience, that they leave so many niches open - niches small and creative teams will gladly fill. And the increased amount of gamers means that we could have a thriving market of indie games upcoming.

Offline bilwit

• Agent provocateur
  • Count
  • Renown: 275
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The toast is anarchy!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Billy_Whitmore, Andre_Whitmore, Gideon_Stargrave
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 08:59:09 pm »
lol, so many companies want a slice from the cake Taleworlds got in this "directional medieval melee combat" genre.

Isn't that right? Now we get filled with mediocre or sucky clones of the original.
(Judging from WoTR only, but we'll see how it goes)

So, yeah.

I don't see why this is a bad thing. Warband is fucking ancient. It should be welcoming if newer games want to do something similar.

Most of us are currently living off relatives, friends, parttime-jobs or savings, to be able to work as much and cheaply as possible.

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 08:59:44 pm »
I agree but honestly the lack of responsability from the average customer is not really a problem for "connoisseurs", the fate of videogames is identical to that of movies. First we only have the independant gems, then the industry grows and produces a lot of bad products, largely dominating the amount of good products, but that amount stays stable. It doesn't fade away, since there is a demand. A certainly lower demand than that of mainstream products, but important enough to support a niche for independant studios.

You're right, the video game industry is one of the few industries that always make a profit plus break records almost every year.

If there is one thing we will never stop doing it is playing games :wink:

However, if these trends continue, as with consumers continuing to buy games of less quality yet at even more extreme prices, eventually there will be a backlash.

I would rather that consumers were more responsible -- because we can never trust the companies to be -- which means not buying those specific games.

I really think that the way gaming has evolved (big studios, broad audience) has actually increased the chance for independent game creators. The big companies are so big and worried about not reaching the broadest possible audience, that they leave so many niches open - niches small and creative teams will gladly fill. And the increased amount of gamers means that we could have a thriving market of indie games upcoming.

Exactly and personally I hope it will turn in that direction. Indie studios have the old gaming spirit at heart because they're about making great games not appealing to the broadest audience possible (which in 90% of all cases means 'dumbing down' the game).

Offline Kafein

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 08:59:54 pm »

Yes it seems the indie scene has grown lately. And they are also less naive than before. When the big companies finish their rip-off, nearly the entire target public has bought the original. They just make the public wider, throwing some cash into the merchandizing machine, to sell their own game, but in the end that helps the indie guys. I also see a lot of indie studios being bought, forced to create a few rushed games then say shit to the producers and start their own studio again.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 09:46:53 pm »

Kickstarter with DoubleFine and Wasteland2 have had developpers even talking about a "revolution" of game funding, where middle-men big name publishers are cut out entirely from the equation. I think that's a bit dramatic, but indie games and the internet are changing the financial dynamics of game publishing, no doubt.