Author Topic: Suggestion: CIV style scoreboard  (Read 557 times)

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
Suggestion: CIV style scoreboard
« on: March 13, 2012, 03:03:16 am »
Just a thought:
Why not have a Civilization style "rankings" board that's globally visible?

Which faction controls the most towns?
Which has the most troops?
Which has the best equipped military overall?
Which is sitting on the most money?

In CIV, it's critical to keep an eye on this scoreboard so that you aren't suddenly surprised to learn that someone is way more powerful than you.  I think a resource like this would prove useful in Strategus (way too easy to build up a huge army without anyone anywhere realizing it).

Similarly, there could be "map overlays".  Turn on the "Army Count" overlay and the map gets colored based on army concentrations.  That is, it doesn't matter if it's 1 guy with 5000 troops or 50 guys with 100 troops each, that sector of the map would be bright red for "omg armies".  Could do the same thing for money and gear -- map overlays would make it a lot harder for clans to hide their power through distribution (unless they distributed it across the map, in which case you'd still see it when they start bringing it together for an attack...)

In summary, Strategus lacks reasonable methods of intel gathering.  Sending guys around with 1 horse is less than ideal.
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Muki

• Earl
  • Renown: 455
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • 偽善正義
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Exile
  • Game nicks: Muki
  • IRC nick: Muki, Muki39
Re: Suggestion: CIV style scoreboard
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 04:20:38 am »
+1
that the game of fear, not knowing what your enemy has, plus what the problem of out sourcing your scouts? pretty sure there are some guys in strat who would be happy to be paid for intel
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

As a volunteer admin I clearly have no life and live only to eradicate all fun and enjoyment from the game. Your tears of rage are all the payment I need.
Yes I drew most of my avatars

Offline PhantomZero

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
  • I'm going to need you playing at 6AM on Saturday..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BIRD CLAN
  • Game nicks: POSTMASTER_PHANTOM0_OF_BIRD
  • IRC nick: PhantomZero
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 08:50:05 am »
+1
Information is worth a lot of money, and it would make a few people upset if this information was suddenly available freely.

Offline Vovka

• King
  • Renown: 1174
  • Infamy: 240
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Druzhina
  • Game nicks: Druzhina_Vovka
  • IRC nick: Vovka
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2012, 09:18:04 am »
now you can easily check how many ppls in faction, and how many fiefs

average troops income from castle 150-200 per day
average goods income from village 150-200 per day with average % for distanse 100%

I think this is enough  :|

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2012, 09:43:04 am »
I'm with Muki and Vovka.

Its a nice idea but I think it would dump down strat a bit. I was running intel and basically set up an intel clan. I had no one join and only 1 clan hired me. But I did make some cash money out of being able to supply accurate troop break downs for TKoV and TKN's whole army at that point as well as detailed movement lists and lists of what all they're clan members are doing.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline bredeus

• Earl
  • Renown: 392
  • Infamy: 85
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • there must be Peace
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Templars since 1096 AD
  • Game nicks: Templar_Brede
  • IRC nick: Brede
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2012, 10:21:00 am »
or even more, like average amount of CD keys for distinct IP per clan ;)

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2012, 02:45:35 pm »
+1
I was running intel and basically set up an intel clan. I had no one join and only 1 clan hired me.

And there, I think, lies the problem.

It's kinda like these PvP MMORPGs that have castles.  Who's going to stand on the walls all day to guard the castle?  "It's a player issue.  Players should do these things."  Well, not enough people want to do it, so it doesn't get done, and the gameplay suffers as a result.  Castles flip-flop back and forth because nobody wants to do the necessary, un-fun work.

We *could* hope that future Strategus rounds run a lot smoother as players suddenly volunteer to do intel work.

Or we *could* assume that players still won't want to do this sort of thing and come up with a better system.

Probably the biggest reason more people don't do intel work in Strategus is that it's time consuming and may be costly in Strat gold.  Since most villages are charging 100g/hour, you can't just point your character there and log out for the night.  You'll come back in the morning minus a few hundred gold.

So we can ignore the issue and say players should do it, but I don't think they will, and I think it will lead to more problems.
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde