Author Topic: What is Strategus?  (Read 4095 times)

Offline The_Prophet

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PxC
  • Game nicks: The_Prophet_PxC, Santas_Slay
What is Strategus?
« on: March 04, 2011, 04:48:11 am »
Hello!

I started playing cRPG a while ago and keep hearing about strategus. Can anyone tell me what it is and how it works?

Thanks for any help.

-Cheers
In chaos, there is opportunity.
Never let a good crisis go to waste.

Offline Dunecat

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • h+
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jaer_Selorn
Re: What is Strategus?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2011, 06:51:40 am »
Hello!

I started playing cRPG a while ago and keep hearing about strategus. Can anyone tell me what it is and how it works?

Thanks for any help.

-Cheers
It's a myth, or so I was told.
In memory of Jaer_Selorn, member of Str, ruler of Pagundur

Offline Punisher

• Baron
  • Renown: 127
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Punisher
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2011, 08:23:40 am »
It's the greatest thing known to man.

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2011, 08:26:55 am »
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,134869.0.html

Keep in mind that it's currently frozen and will be unfrozen when there's a serious update to it, which will change a lot of how things work, or so we're informed.

Offline Sir_PedoBear

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Calradian Barbershop Rapists
  • Game nicks: CBR_RedRidingHood CBR_Goldilocks CBR_Gandalf
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 09:29:00 pm »
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,134869.0.html

Keep in mind that it's currently frozen and will be unfrozen when there's a serious update to it, which will change a lot of how things work, or so we're informed.

the page cant be found. I also am wondering what this is since everyone seems to be talking about it.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Jeez

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • May God have mercy on your souls, I will not
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusaders Of Acre
  • Game nicks: Saint Jeez of Acre
  • IRC nick: Jeez
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 09:42:00 pm »
the page cant be found. I also am wondering what this is since everyone seems to be talking about it.

the page cannot be found, just like strategus.
If you'd be in heaven, would you find the words on earth to describe it?

Offline Reinhardt

• Count
  • Renown: 274
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusaders of Acre
  • IRC nick: Reinhardt
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 10:11:25 pm »
Think of Singelplayer, but multiplayer, with many changes. There you have strategus. Nobody will type up a full response...
"A leader is a dealer in hope."

Offline Earthdforce

• Earl
  • Renown: 391
  • Infamy: 150
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Earth_Geodude_da_Defender, _RageThrower
  • IRC nick: Khalestimo#7613
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 10:40:46 pm »
Think of Singelplayer, but multiplayer, with many changes. There you have strategus. Nobody will type up a full response...
I don't think many people remember it. I know for sure that the months have clouded my memory... :'(
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 11:03:57 pm »
Strategus is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work... when you go to church... when you pay your taxes. It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 01:35:43 am »
Strategus is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it when you look out your window or when you turn on your television. You can feel it when you go to work... when you go to church... when you pay your taxes. It is the world that has been pulled over your eyes to blind you from the truth.

This poster just won the thread. +1 cookie.

I should start handing out gold to people who make posts I like enough to laugh at...
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 01:37:18 am by Tears_of_Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline RamsesXXIIX

• Count
  • Renown: 252
  • Infamy: 65
  • Yes, I prey on the weak.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Ramses
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 01:45:06 am »
+2
I've already made a longer post about the main mechanics of strategus, so i'll take the freedom and paste it here. Its from the Fallen forums.

Note i'm not a native English speaker, and not very good when it comes to writing, so go ahead and ask any questions. And this is ofc about the OLD strategus, the new one might be quite different.

Here it is:

"I'll try to compile something.

In its most basic sense, strategus is like singleplayer, just in multiplayer.

If you have ever played singleplayer and traveled across calradia, you should already have a clue on what it is now...

Just like SP, strategus was divided in 2 components: I'll call them Browser component and Battle component
Browser component: (Map overview in SP)

When you are playing SP, you walk around a map of calradia. This map is in SP full of NPC parties, cities and villages. In strategus, things are a little different.
The cities and the villages are still there, but there are no longer NPC parties. Instead, all players that chose to join strategus also makes their own party. This party is then affiliated with this character; the troops and the gold belonging to this party belongs to the character. (will explain troops and gold soon)

The "map" is actually a browser showing calradia. As a party in strategus, you have a couple of acitve and a couple of passive actions. Your active actions (Actions you chose yourself):
Move your party
Attack other players
Enter villages, castles and cities
Join factions

As passive actions, you also:
Scout other players equipment, gold and troops
Scout villages nearby's equipment, gold and troops

If we, for example, take the first action (moving you party), you click the option on the website, and click on a destination. Now, your party will start to move towards the destination, ignoring all obstacles and players (This early strategus was quite buggy). travelling across the whole map took something like 30 hours, so movement was rather slow. You would not be able to see you've moved after some time.

Lets move on to troops, gold and fiefs.
Fiefs are the various villages, cities and castles on the map. Every fief would passively grow both gold and population.

Troops in the game was gathered by recruiting in villages, castles or cities, or by converting population into troops. To recruit in a fief, you would first have to enter it. When entering it, you also agreed to pay the taxes laid upon you by the fiefs lord. After entering, you then chose to recruit troops for no further costs. (However the taxes might sometimes be quite high)
The best way to accumulate troops was by owning a village and convert the population.

Gold was accumulated by:
Playing cRPG (The little gold you gained there was also transferred to strategus)
Working in a fief (This is another option you have to do in a fief, apart from recruiting)
Transact gold from fiefs (Fiefs passively accumulated gold and lords could then use this gold)

So, as you can see, strategus progressed in many ways like a simplified singleplayer, just way slower.

Lets start talking about BATTLES:
So, when you've worked and recruited in a village and grinded in cRPG, you would then soon be ready for battle. You just need one more thing:

Equipment!
Apart from paying upkeep to your troops, this is what you use gold for. For the same price of 1 item in cRPG, you could buy 100 of those items in strategus. To buy equipment, you opened a new page to shop for weapons to your soldiers. Choosing equipment was a big part of strategus. I've uploaded our old equipment guide in the post, go take a look. (EDIT: Didn't work D:)

Now you were finally ready for battle!

When you chose to attack another player, you would book the strategus server (EU_3) in 24 hours. This time is then used to the final preparations for the battle. You should now see your strategus battle in the front of the character page.

You would then have 24h to prepare a roster for the battle, as well as buying any equipment you've missed. You see, not everyone is allowed to join a battle in strategus. To join the battle, you would have to apply for it on the c-RPG website. When you applied, the party's character would then chose who could join and who could not, for a certain pay. (High ranked players of the same faction could do it as well)

Example: My usual application for non-fallen and non-HRE battles:
Pay: 200 gold
Comment: 140/110 1h and polearm hybrid. Can also do cavalry.

As you can see, its nothing but a small comment and that request for pay. Furthermore, the people who could hire the player (Called mercenaries usually) could also see my lvl.

The characters of both parties then carefully chose their mercenaries to fight in their battles.

24 hours later, the battle would then commence. EU_3 would switch from Strategus_duel to Strategus_battle gamemode. All players were then assigned to teams according to the roster on the website. IE: You would get automatically moved into the party that hired you. If you aren't hired, you stay in spectator.

Then, the battle would commence! The gamemode was then TDM, and your party would fight using:
The players you've hired.
The equipment you've bought.
And the amount of troops you have.

Troops are then "tickets" for the TDM. IE: If you had 200 troops, your team could spawn a total of 200 times.

Battle would then begin, and when one team lost all its tropps/tickets and all of its remaining players, they would be defeated.

Thats the basic mechanics of strategus.  Can't write anymore now.

« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 01:51:55 am by RamsesXXIIX »

Offline Jeez

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • May God have mercy on your souls, I will not
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusaders Of Acre
  • Game nicks: Saint Jeez of Acre
  • IRC nick: Jeez
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2011, 03:07:31 pm »
that's.... a lot of words
 but they are true

*ahhhhh* memories

Offline Mephisto

• Beggar
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
  • This is where personal text should be.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Misiek_the_Grey
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2011, 05:45:44 pm »
Ahhh yesz good ol' times.
How bout we write up a prayer to Strategus the Mighty?