Author Topic: shame on devs  (Read 6539 times)

Offline VaradinOld

• Noble
  • Renown: 15
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: shame on devs
« Reply #45 on: December 28, 2011, 02:45:23 pm »
+1 i don't see ant reason not to add any graphic improvements ...

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #46 on: December 28, 2011, 02:47:46 pm »
So is it possible now to make a moving model which will register hits, like a flail?

No. The grass/banner/foliage animation in the video is purely visual.

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2011, 02:52:38 pm »
+1
The palette thing is one of many things that go under what cRPG seem to lack, and that is a grand vision for WHAT IT WANTS TO BE.

I'd say the devs have good judgement on many matters, just that the work lacks dreams and direction. Of course, this patchwork anarchy has it's advantages. cRPG develops dynamically hand in hand with the players. This creates a loyal playerbase and it's own free spirit. It is not trying to force a theme down our throats so to speak, and we are free to make our own stories..

It is also hard to keep a theme going without restricting armours and weapons (like in the WoW tier system), as players will always try to look as unique as possible. The unique look of each player is one of the strongest most special things about cRPG that one can't find in many other games.

Never the less, I think some dreams and goals about what cRPG should be could really motivate both dev team and players alike to feel they are moving towards something great. It should be room for inventing a kind of theme without destroying what is unique already.

If one could agree on that, a palette choice, what kind of weapons we want to expand upon, armours, locations, even game modes would rise naturally from  that choice.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2011, 06:54:27 pm »

Holy crap, that looks a lot like Skyrim on medium-ish settings.  :mrgreen:

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #49 on: December 28, 2011, 07:27:21 pm »
+1
Screw realism. I've been playing games since wolfenstein. Trust me, anything will look crappy in a few years. There is always a prettier game or texture out there.

To me, it's irrelevant. I play the game to... euh... play the game. Not watch scenery. If i want eye candy, there's plenty out there. I just don't want it in my cRPG.

Gameplay always overrules realism and prettyness (graphics quality). That's why i play cRPG in medium detail. I prefer having a stable 123 fps over having a few somewhat prettier textures. I'd rather be able to clearly see where all the enemies are at one glance. All that foliage and terrain detail just detracts from the basic gameplay elements like being able to clearly see enemies.

But i understand that other people enjoy making cRPG pretty and i'm all for that, as long as it never makes it into the basic cRPG. :)

Offline ArchonAlarion

• Baron
  • Renown: 98
  • Infamy: 54
  • Late 15th cen. English Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: ArchonAlarion, DON'T_WAKE_GRANDPA, NASTY_TURTLE, UNARMED_CLASS_ DON'T_BAN_PLS, et al.
« Reply #50 on: December 28, 2011, 07:42:46 pm »
Gameplay includes the aesthetics. I am not satisfied by low quality graphics in m&b because it detracts from my experience of the game, which includes a number of elements and certainly goes beyond how much fun pressing wasd and mouse-clicking is. If m&b/crpg was a cartoony game of elves and wizards, than realistic graphics would be less important to me, but its not; it was sold to me as medieval combat simulation and that's what I want out of it. People should of course have the option to play low quality if they wish, but the option to see wind animations would be nice too. If it's totally not available for c-rpg or impossible to add, than I'd understand.

*I would stop and look at the scenery*
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 07:45:25 pm by ArchonAlarion »

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #51 on: December 28, 2011, 08:34:13 pm »
The graphics look awesome, but when I play multiplayer games I don't want tons of trees and grass, it's easier for people to hide behind, and slows the game down.  I'm on a brand new computer, so it wouldn't slow my game down at all, but it certainly would add to the overall usage of resources on the server.

If you are worried about pretty graphics and care more about that than gameplay, then warband probably isn't for you.

Screw realism. I've been playing games since wolfenstein. Trust me, anything will look crappy in a few years. There is always a prettier game or texture out there.

To me, it's irrelevant. I play the game to... euh... play the game. Not watch scenery. If i want eye candy, there's plenty out there. I just don't want it in my cRPG.

Gameplay always overrules realism and prettyness (graphics quality). That's why i play cRPG in medium detail. I prefer having a stable 123 fps over having a few somewhat prettier textures. I'd rather be able to clearly see where all the enemies are at one glance. All that foliage and terrain detail just detracts from the basic gameplay elements like being able to clearly see enemies.

But i understand that other people enjoy making cRPG pretty and i'm all for that, as long as it never makes it into the basic cRPG. :)

Your newsletter, where do I subscribe to it?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2011, 08:35:25 pm by CrazyCracka420 »
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline wayyyyyne

• Marshall
  • Renown: 725
  • Infamy: 233
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 28, 2011, 09:21:56 pm »
+1
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 04:43:25 pm by wayyyyyne »

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • Renown: 1399
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Cooties
  • IRC nick: Nessaj
« Reply #53 on: December 28, 2011, 10:24:16 pm »
+1

You're right in that Gameplay > Graphics, and I doubt a single person here disagree that so the whole speech is rather futile IMO.

What the point of it all is that if C-RPG has better graphics at standard it will receive both more attention and recognition, which will be for all the better of the mod.
You can still have the game as you want anyway why should less be standard (I'm not saying they should add in the mod mentioned by OP) - But in terms of textures, perhaps then add a normal/high-res option if it is a big issue for a lot.

The optimal is clearly that a game starts with the best graphics as standard for then to allow people to downgrade it to fit their computer specifications.

Mount & Blade Warband looks horrible without at least the Realistic Colors mod, and the fact that it can look amazingly beautiful with not much loss in FPS is definitely something that should be sought, without compromising with Gameplay in any way of course but I'm sure that is a given anyway within the dev team. The only reason for a game to look bad in these times is to accompany low-end computers.

Does C-RPG have a 'style' anyway? Maybe it is already on the list somewhere, otherwise perhaps it should. I wouldn't say it is a big priority but definitely an agenda to look into later.
Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!

Offline Belmont

• Baron
  • Renown: 109
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 28, 2011, 10:43:47 pm »
+1
Sorry, no Polished Landscapes. cRPG will never give in to the real is brown paradigm.

Orange is real.

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 28, 2011, 11:04:49 pm »
Orange is real.

While the orange isn't more real, and that guy jumps incredibly high, it is true that the current brown bias of many "realism" mods is weird and uncalled for.

I'd say, native Warband graphics are more than enough for me. Some things are especially well done like lights, bloom and reflects. While not technically impressive, a few simple things make them awesome like the bloom effect of light reflected on metal. It is quite a rare feature in games I played. Also, the sun really blinds you. The rest is usually okay. It's playable and not disgusting at all so no need for bundled graphical enhancements.

I, for one, enjoy graphical intensive games a lot. I play GTA 4 with ICEnhancer just to ride around town and look at how beautiful it is. I did the same with my over-modded TES4 a few years ago. But Warband is different. It's outstanding gameplay is enough. It only needs a playable 3D graphical interface, and it has it. Playability is why I still play Dungeon Keeper 1 and why I never got into FF VII. Dungeon Keeper is technically hideous but everything is well done and the gameplay works with those terrible graphics. In FF VII I just always end up asking myself "where am I" or "what the fuck is that" because early 3D sucks.

Offline v/onMega

• Count
  • Renown: 234
  • Infamy: 67
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_vMega
« Reply #56 on: December 29, 2011, 07:51:47 am »
Easy as that, whenever I recall any country i ve been to, I recall over saturated green, brown, crappy looking grass, shitty textures....

And thats why vanilla warband / crpg graphics always felt impressingly realistic.

Sarcasm off.

Personally I think that crpg should stay that way. Development is overrated and the amount of ppl. playing with crappy hardware is astonishing.

In case you want different looks, you can create them on your own by simply downloading the mods by yourself :-)

All good if you ask me.

Lets just hope Final Boss will finish his 'loom retexturing soon.

@Phaz

Awesome sound+GFX+gameplay > gameplay

Why wouldnt you want to have IT ALL when possible? :-)

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #57 on: December 29, 2011, 10:56:47 am »
Orange is real.

Indeed.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 29, 2011, 11:00:37 am »
c-RPG needs more orange to be realistic.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • Renown: 1399
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Cooties
  • IRC nick: Nessaj
« Reply #59 on: December 29, 2011, 11:12:00 am »
Indeed.
(click to show/hide)

The real unedited versions:

(click to show/hide)
Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!