Author Topic: Need an opinion on cav build  (Read 3156 times)

Offline Tot.

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Need an opinion on cav build
« on: December 26, 2011, 09:47:52 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Haven't played cav before almost at all so my main concerns are: 
1. Is 90 wpf 'ok' for heavy lance?
2. Is 6 riding generally enough atm or I will get chased down/outmaneuvered by people who have bit more?

Keep in mind that my priority is to keep full functionality as heavy infantry aswell, hence 6 shield and ath.
Mods compatible with cRPG. New crosshairs, textures, sounds, yay.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Need an opinion on cav build
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2011, 10:08:49 pm »
+1
If I were you I'd go for about 130 1h wpf and more polearm wpf.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline isatis

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ink+water showing their true potential!
    • View Profile
    • le Clan des Cochons!
  • Faction: Le clan des Cochons!!
  • Game nicks: Cochon_Furtif_Isatis
  • IRC nick: Isatis
« Reply #2 on: December 26, 2011, 10:49:34 pm »
as xant said.

with this built you'll be effective on both side, but just don't go crazy and try to be cav maniac.
So the new response to ranged ragers is not "get a shield", it is "learn to chamber ranged nub!"
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Corwin

• Earl
  • Renown: 499
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Corwin_the_Lazy
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2011, 10:50:39 pm »
This is lvl 31 build, isn't it?
I mean, what have you got to lose? You know, you come from nothing, you're going back to nothing, what have you lost? Nothing!

Offline KaMiKaZe_JoE

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 117
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: KaMiKaZe _______
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2011, 04:27:11 am »
6 riding is more then sufficient for a skilled cavalry player. I've only just gotten 7 riding, having reached level 30 yesterday. I have, if no one has noticed, been topping the score boards long before yesterday come around :P

90 polearm wpf is sufficient. My previous build had 100ish, and the one before it 90--I was able to perform admirably with both.

As a heavy infantry / cavalry hybrid, this build seems solid.

Side note: Slowing down on horseback will drastically improve your maneuverability, giving you the edge over foes with higher riding skill when it matters most. Don't get into the habit of gluing your finger to the 'w' key :)
"I don't think I'd want to meet anyone from cRPG. Sorry no offense lol" -TG

Offline BADPLAYERold

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 362
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PRO
  • Game nicks: BADPLAYER
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2011, 05:41:08 am »
+1
I would just do 0WM and stick all your WPF into 1handers, then use your left over points in maxing out IF.

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2011, 06:13:02 am »
LLJK advice best advice
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2011, 07:26:23 pm »
I'd also go with a more balanced 1h and polearm's WPP (maybe like 120/115 or somewhere around there).  But having 90 WPP is almost as fast as having 100 WPP, so you won't really notice much difference at all (but as a general rule of thumb I try to have all WPP's be at least 100).

Here's the two cav builds that I think are the best for cav/1h builds (and still being able to hybrid as a foot soldier), also if you plan on retiring, only build for level 30 (as these builds are):

Level 30, 18 str/18 agi (I fucked up, it should say 6 power strike and only 3 athletics):

(click to show/hide)

Level 30, 15 agi/18 str:

(click to show/hide)

I've always went with the 15/18 build (I like the 6 wpf, and 6 athletics).  I've been meaning to try the 18/18 build so I can have 6 power strike though.  At high armor levels the extra 3 str and extra 1 power strike can give me about 1-3 more damage, on light armor about 5-7 more damage, but against light armor I can usually kill them easily anyways with 5 power strike...so it's kind of up to the player's preference.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2011, 07:34:55 pm »
put as much wpf in 1h as you need to be as effective as you want to be,  and the rest in pole.  as badplayer says 0wpf works out aswell.  ujin is sporting just more than 50,  he is probably the man i would trust most.

the rest of your build is very solid and you should be a good pain on and of horse with it.
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline Riddaren

• Duke
  • Renown: 601
  • Infamy: 298
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Riddaren, Matthaus
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2011, 09:41:35 pm »
1. Is 90 wpf 'ok' for heavy lance?

1 wpf is ok for heavy lance.

2. Is 6 riding generally enough atm or I will get chased down/outmaneuvered by people who have bit more?

Having the required level of riding for the horse you want to use is enough. So I guess that would be 5 for you.

Keep in mind that my priority is to keep full functionality as heavy infantry aswell, hence 6 shield and ath.

If that is your priority I suggest you get 1-50wpf. I would get 50wpf just for the lowered break chance of the weapon.
Keep in mind that many kills you make as a lancer is versus unaware players. A thrust to the head from behind or the side at high speed will likely kill the target. People with 0 head armour will die at low-medium speed.

Also, the wpf doesn't affect the couch lancing which ca be used quite effectively vs aware players as well.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2011, 09:54:13 pm by Riddaren »

Offline Tot.

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 133
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2011, 03:31:53 am »
Well, did it yesterday,. it seems a lot of fun so far. And yeah, Corwin, its for 31.

One thing I cant really make up my mind on is the horse. Generally it seems to me that the choice comes down to either courser, for avoiding damage and get-in/get-out general behavior, or, uh, cataphract for lingering in combat and sucking up the damage? Destrier doesnt seem to have enough hp/armor to compensate the lack of speed, I frankly have no idea why is everyone using that horse.

BTW. Does it still stand true that loomed courser has less hp than unloomed one?
Mods compatible with cRPG. New crosshairs, textures, sounds, yay.

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2011, 03:54:32 am »
no,  loomed horses now have more hp and armor than before. the destrier is an awesome horse,  specially loomed.  but i would go with the cata over it if money wasnt a factor.  the courser is just plane fun and a hole different game,  as would be the arrab aswell.

so its all up to your preferance
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline Cepeshi

• Earl
  • Renown: 467
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
  • Relax, it is just a life...
    • View Profile
    • Wanna work with me? Ping for more info!
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Fapulena, Useless
  • IRC nick: Cepeshi
« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2011, 03:57:43 am »
what he said ^

i had the luck to ride both champ. courser and champ. arabian, courser was freaking epic formula for fast picking off the stray infantry, awesome speed, even tho it is doublesided weapon, as the faster you are, the more your horse dies due to oneshots (speedbonus), arabian is cool for town maps, in general for clusterfucks, as the maneuverability owns, also was good to hunt enemy cav with :)

I wish i had some heavy horse loomed to try it out aswell :( Maybe, maybe in few gens... :D

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2011, 04:07:46 am »
+1
The problem of the courser is that it is a giant "hit me" sign. It's actually comparable, if not bigger in size than the destrier, and a lot more squishy. You have the speed, but not the maneuvrability that would naturally come with it. It's the hardest horse to control and you'll crash into pikes or other pointy things often.

I think the reason many choose the destrier is it's really a median horse in all categories. It doesn't drop dead after two shots, it doesn't tear your wallet apart, it only needs 5 riding and it goes and turns barely fast enough. I believe many actually prefer the arab warhorse but don't want to gimp their build with 21 agi, or at least think it would gimp their build.

BTW. Does it still stand true that loomed courser has less hp than unloomed one?

My +3 arab has 15 more hp than a normal one. I guess it's roughly the same for all horses.

This is the build I'm planning to follow (currently level 27), using +3 arab, +3 KAS, +1 HL and an elite cav shield. I'm already satisfied with 5PS, even on foot, as I hardly ever bounce. The 4 shield skill also seems enough.

Level 30 (4 420 577 xp)

Strength: 15
    Agility: 21
    Hit points: 50

Skills to attributes: 2

Ironflesh: 0
    Power Strike: 5
    Shield: 4
    Athletics: 7
    Riding: 7
    Horse Archery: 0
    Power Draw: 0
    Power Throw: 0
    Weapon Master: 6

One Handed: 145
    Two Handed: 1
    Polearm: 72
    Archery: 1
    Crossbow: 1
    Throwing: 1

I usually try to dismount/kill a few enemy cav when the round begins then when things start to settle down I go ninja on the occasional unaware ranged/infantry on the ground. The arab horse is the best for taking on other cav and killing those damned bazooka fairies (when they don't kill the horse first).

Offline Cepeshi

• Earl
  • Renown: 467
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
  • Relax, it is just a life...
    • View Profile
    • Wanna work with me? Ping for more info!
  • Faction: Deserters
  • Game nicks: Fapulena, Useless
  • IRC nick: Cepeshi
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2011, 04:10:35 am »
... it doesn't tear your wallet apart...

hmmm....i found myself losing money much faster with destrier actually