Author Topic: Raised shield should prevent horse bump knockdown  (Read 3281 times)

Offline gazda

• Earl
  • Renown: 483
  • Infamy: 124
  • cRPG Player
  • Its almost harvesting season.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Saracens
  • Game nicks: Gazda_the_Swine
  • IRC nick: gazda
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
Re: Raised shield should prevent horse bump knockdown
« Reply #46 on: February 15, 2012, 05:45:43 pm »
With this logic you should get hit every time someone jumps and tries to swing at you but gets stabbed a fraction of a second before he hits you. You know, all those guys with the two handed swords and axes and so on  :wink:

Interrupting the enemy by hitting him first is an important part of the game and how melee works in M&B. You shouldn't remove this. And as rider and horse act as one being (due to both being controlled by the player) it is only fair to interrupt riders if you make their horse rear. Remember, I was only talking about rearing, not hitting it in general.

One reason less to try to attack cav?  :?

My first suggestion I think would be nice across the board (not just in the instance I described), but the engine is most likely too primitive to be able to decide if the guy hitting you was enough to prevent you from your swing from connecting, or make your swing weaker, or make it so it basically didn't interrupt you at all.  Just a pipe dream, maybe M&B2.

Also my 2nd point was more in jest than anything, I see so many people complaining about cavalry lately and wanted to point out there is still some things that should probably be in the game but aren't.  so if you don't like cavalry, just thank your lucky stars that the dead flying horses "disappear" as soon as they die.

I think the reason cavalry seems so strong is because ground troops aren't able to use very tightly packed formations and movements.  If you're 5-10 feet away from someone I can most likely ride through and "thread the needle" killing the one guy but not getting touched by his buddy too far away.  That and the fact that you can't pound stakes into the ground, and you can't just brace a bunch of long spears in front of your infantry wall.

The game's certainly not perfect, but every class and play style has a counter to it's strengths.  Everything has at least one weakness, and I think that people should just leave well enough alone and stop constantly tweaking shit (or asking/crying to the dev's to tweak something).  Maybe we'd have less buffs and nerfs if people would learn some tactics.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 05:47:37 pm by CrazyCracka420 »
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Huey Newton

• Duke
  • Renown: 555
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Huey_Newton
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2012, 01:46:43 am »

Offline KaMiKaZe_JoE

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 117
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: KaMiKaZe _______
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2012, 01:51:39 am »
+1
need to nerf cav
"I don't think I'd want to meet anyone from cRPG. Sorry no offense lol" -TG

Offline Aleta

• Knight
  • Renown: 32
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Rhodok
  • Game nicks: Aleta, Diavolo
« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2012, 03:30:04 pm »
As a cav player, I like this.  Maybe not the action disruption, because then bumpslashing won't really be possible, but the damage reflection seems good.
If there was something they could add that would remove the possibility of bump-slashing if would have been fantastic. Of all the unrealistic, annoying, unbalanced, fun removing, skilless bullshit in the game that people want to get removed, bumpslashing is the worst of all.

Offline Huey Newton

• Duke
  • Renown: 555
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Huey_Newton
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2012, 05:25:15 pm »
+2
Or instead of something like this, which is obviously a troll because noone is stupid enough to suggest this, bring back the rider getting bumped when the horse bumps an enemy.

FOR THE RECORD IM CAV
 :rolleyes:

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #51 on: February 16, 2012, 09:19:34 pm »
Well thats a problem for all attacks in this game. If two guys swing a sword at each other only the one who hits first does damage, the other attack is canceled instantly. Even if its only a millisecond earlier. Thats completely unrealistic as a weapon would still have some momentum to hit the other guy.

I agree. There is a MMA video out there somewhere showing two guys knock each other out at the same time. It happens.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 16, 2012, 09:21:41 pm »
+1
I think the reason cavalry seems so strong is because ground troops aren't able to use very tightly packed formations and movements.  If you're 5-10 feet away from someone I can most likely ride through and "thread the needle" killing the one guy but not getting touched by his buddy too far away.  That and the fact that you can't pound stakes into the ground, and you can't just brace a bunch of long spears in front of your infantry wall.

That and horses rotate on a stripper pole when stopped  :lol: It should take some minimum forward movement speed before they can turn the horse.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2012, 05:31:41 pm »
I agree. There is a MMA video out there somewhere showing two guys knock each other out at the same time. It happens.

It can happen with ranged weapons (can kill each other), or ranged and melee (usually the melee weapon needs to be long).  It can also happen melee vs melee where you kill each other, but the only time I've ever seen this is on horse back and usually one person is couching.
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline MeevarTheMighty

• Count
  • Renown: 242
  • Infamy: 56
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • http://www.afp.gov.au/what-we-do/
  • Faction: RDP
  • Game nicks: Genemeve et al
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2012, 01:43:22 pm »
Horse charge should instakill raised shield. <_<

Offline Rumblood

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2012, 04:08:55 pm »
Horse charge should instakill raised shield. <_<

Because all horses have adamantium bones and kevlar for skin!  :o

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2012, 05:19:04 pm »
That and horses rotate on a stripper pole when stopped  :lol: It should take some minimum forward movement speed before they can turn the horse.

Then horses should also be able to strafe side-to-side like in r/l, and bump that way.  That's how horses are used for crowd control even today.

Offline OoberNoob

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lost Legion
  • Game nicks: LL_OoberNoob
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2012, 03:11:31 am »
+1
[Raised shield should prevent horse bump knockdown]

Yea I tried this irl... didnt end too well.