Poll

Since it is actually technically historically accurate to use a pike on a horse, should it really be a bannable offense?

Yes
49 (72.1%)
No
19 (27.9%)

Total Members Voted: 68

Voting closed: October 03, 2011, 06:04:18 pm

Author Topic: Should Pikes on Horseback be Legal?  (Read 4672 times)

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
  • Renown: 1049
  • Infamy: 651
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Man, I still play this shit?
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Anders_Astralis
Re: Should Pikes on Horseback be Legal?
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2011, 06:49:51 pm »
A game is never balanced. It's always "Balanced enough for the masses" but someone will always find a way to get SOMETHING unbalanced. This is CRPG. We break the mod.

There should be one lance that's thrust is long enough to beat all BUT the "Pike" in length.(not couch but regular attack).

Also, if what you said about speed of weapon and speed bonus, how come so many people dropped the Heavy lance when it's speed was in the upper 60's(a 6 point drop?). Because it's balls to try and time it. Image that with a weapon of like 250 length and trying to hit someone with a near 2 second delay on the swing from release!

@ Leshma: SO all those, LONGBOWS KILLED EVERYTHING, LOOK AT AGINCOURT people can vent somewhere.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 06:50:58 pm by Lt_Anders »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2011, 06:52:24 pm »
Why for the love of god we have realism discussion sub-forum? :rolleyes:

So we can finally read the other two serious boards and not have to slog through the silly "realism" stuff, for it will all be moved to here.

AKA this:
@ Leshma: SO all those, LONGBOWS KILLED EVERYTHING, LOOK AT AGINCOURT people can vent somewhere.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Herald_Hardrata

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 23
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2011, 06:59:27 pm »

The Mods made a sub-forum just for my posts. I feel honored.

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2011, 07:01:49 pm »
Also, if what you said about speed of weapon and speed bonus, how come so many people dropped the Heavy lance when it's speed was in the upper 60's(a 6 point drop?). Because it's balls to try and time it. Image that with a weapon of like 250 length and trying to hit someone with a near 2 second delay on the swing from release!

dude,  i dont mean no harm.  you are just plane wrong.  i would kill to get the slow heavy lance back.  they made it faster to counter the high damage bonus.  and every good eu lancer used the heavy lance.

but the topic aint about this.  and the heavy lance beets every weapon but the long spear and pike (if they are in good hands)  so i dont see a need for a longer lance.

also,  i cearly am too much aon the forum todays.  i´m outa here for now
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2011, 07:05:24 pm »

dude,  i dont mean no harm.  you are just plane wrong.  i would kill to get the slow heavy lance back.  they made it faster to counter the high damage bonus.  and every good eu lancer used the heavy lance.

but the topic aint about this.  and the heavy lance beets every weapon but the long spear and pike (if they are in good hands)  so i dont see a need for a longer lance.

also,  i cearly am too much aon the forum todays.  i´m outa here for now

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LF410IN1hME&feature=related

Well, I like lancers. I kill lancers all the time. Lances suck and a simple turn or "air break" and they miss. But I'm NA, so our lancers just suck i guess and EU is obviously more skilled lancers.

(ALso personal best, I depopulated a server yesterday with my build. 11people to 2(counting me), HC so fun).

Offline Torben

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2011, 07:13:21 pm »
Well, I like lancers. I kill lancers all the time. Lances suck and a simple turn or "air break" and they miss. But I'm NA, so our lancers just suck i guess and EU is obviously more skilled lancers.
(ALso personal best, I depopulated a server yesterday with my build. 11people to 2(counting me), HC so fun).

i meant beats them in length,  as an answer to this: 
There should be one lance that's thrust is long enough to beat all BUT the "Pike" in length.(not couch but regular attack).

so stop hatin -.-

and i said eu,  because i cant talk about NA,  and was answering to this:
how come so many people dropped the Heavy lance when it's speed was in the upper 60's(a 6 point drop?). Because it's balls to try and time it.
so stop the hatin here too.  meh.

and i know that a skilled ranged cant be beaten but by surprise by an unshielded lancer. you aint the only dude who´s been around for a while,  imagine that.
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2011, 07:20:46 pm »
so stop hatin -.-

and i said eu,  because i cant talk about NA,  and was answering to this:so stop the hatin here too.  meh.

and i know that a skilled ranged cant be beaten but by surprise by an unshielded lancer. you aint the only dude who´s been around for a while,  imagine that.

My NA post was sarcasm. There's quite a few NA cavalry that are good. And I generally beat them. Hate armored horsies though.
I'm a Horse crossbow, It's hard to catch unawares. I spend more time reloading than I do firing. :)

Still Pike is 300 length, the longest horse usable weapon is only 175(or is it 180 can't remember Hlance range).  The lance I said should BEAT the longspear in range. Only the pike should not be beaten. So i don't see anything wrong with a 250 length lance.

Offline Jarlek

• King
  • Renown: 1173
  • Infamy: 307
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The walking wiki
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jarlek_The_Blue, Jarla, Jarlen, Jarler, Jarlec, Jarled OH GOD ALL THESE ALTS
  • IRC nick: Jarlek
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2011, 07:24:33 pm »
My NA post was sarcasm. There's quite a few NA cavalry that are good. And I generally beat them. Hate armored horsies though.
I'm a Horse crossbow, It's hard to catch unawares. I spend more time reloading than I do firing. :)

Still Pike is 300 length, the longest horse usable weapon is only 175(or is it 180 can't remember Hlance range).  The lance I said should BEAT the longspear in range. Only the pike should not be beaten. So i don't see anything wrong with a 250 length lance.
Yes. Make it slow and with low damage, meaning it basically is only usefull when you have a nice speed bonus. HEAD ON CHARGES! :D
This game isn't about being skillful as much as its about saying things in general chat that enrage people who then go to murder you but in their rage they make dumb mistakes which gets them killed.
In memory of Jarlek_zeh_Blue, ruler of Ilvia

Offline Torben

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2011, 07:27:10 pm »

hm,  ya its 190.  the heavy lance.  i know there are good NA cavs,  dont worry.  just wanted to make sure i aint one of those this n that continent elitists. 

well,  i think its only fair that even a twohander has a standing chance to dehorse a lancer with some luck.  every class should have a fighting chance against the other.  so we just disagree on this,  no harm.

btw there is a mw light xbow on the market atm,  seller is lars.

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2011, 07:50:13 pm »
I voted no... because i got fouled by the title of the topic. Luckily, i noticed it, and voted "yes", as i intended.

NO, Pikes on horseback should not be Legal.
Yes, Pikes on horseback should be a banable offense.

For... obvious balance reason. And obvious realism reason : the pike used here is designed for infantry, not hollow, and very long. No way a cavalry can use it.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Lt_Anders

• King
    • View Profile
    • Drowtales
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2011, 07:50:41 pm »

hm,  ya its 190.  the heavy lance.  i know there are good NA cavs,  dont worry.  just wanted to make sure i aint one of those this n that continent elitists. 

well,  i think its only fair that even a twohander has a standing chance to dehorse a lancer with some luck.  every class should have a fighting chance against the other.  so we just disagree on this,  no harm.

btw there is a mw light xbow on the market atm,  seller is lars.

Already got and MW bolts to go with it. Also a +2 dest.
I Got my HC build all perfect. Even got +3 body armor!(Gen 13)

Yes. Make it slow and with low damage, meaning it basically is only usefull when you have a nice speed bonus. HEAD ON CHARGES! :D
Yes
« Last Edit: September 28, 2011, 07:52:43 pm by Lt_Anders »

Offline SchokoSchaf

• Knight
  • Renown: 61
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: Eats grass
  • IRC nick: Schoko
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2011, 07:49:30 am »
Fun Fun Fun
määääääääääh!

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2011, 09:24:39 am »
bring back the lance of compensation, you already had the perfect couch only lance in the game, but had to remove it due entirely to DaveUKR lobbying, if I recall correctly.  He convinced you fools to try to make it one use only before it breaks, and then cmp or somebody just removed it entirely.  This was the beginning of the great decline of game balance.  At this point, archers can 3 shot even champion cataphracts with their outrageously high damage output.  To restore order, the lance of compensation must return.

Pike on horseback is OP because you can thrust with it by the way, but the lance of comp was extremely well balanced.
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #28 on: September 29, 2011, 09:56:24 am »
50 speed would make it way to powerful with the speedbonus.  also why the fuck would anyone want a longer lance.  are you guys gay?  lancers would be no better than archers.  cumgulping transvestite pussies.
No, that isn't the way speed bonuses work in melee. Slower missile speed makes gravity and such have a greater effect to projectile damage but that has nothing to do with weapon speed regarding melee.
Melee speed bonuses refer to the characters directions towards each other on the terrain...

Unless of course you are suggesting it should be usable on horseback and be a throwable item, in which case I agree whole-heartedly.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Torben

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 29, 2011, 11:05:43 am »
No, that isn't the way speed bonuses work in melee.

due to false programming the slower the weapon speed on horseback,  the higher the speed damage bonus this weapon gets.  sorry mate,  its not logical but its how WARBAND not crpg alone works.  this was the reason for elevating the hl speed after primarily nerfing it.