Author Topic: Explanation of Melee Game Mechanics (Long Post)  (Read 16337 times)

Offline Dexxtaa

• King
  • Renown: 1268
  • Infamy: 200
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remnant_Dexxtaa
Re: Explanation of Melee Game Mechanics (Long Post)
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2011, 05:00:24 pm »
Great post. Brought the mechanics of gameplay out of the shadows of the back of my mind.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Vance

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2011, 05:12:48 pm »
So, basically, you spam?

Spam and run away, don't forget 'run away'.

This kind of liability-player, especially if they look like a good player from stats and equipment, is a bountiful occurrence to a turtle with any sense.

If his style is 'backpedalling' then really what he's saying is that his style is 'being pushed around', he's just trying to put a positive spin on it.

Fair mistake for a dueler to make, but it's not a warrior's technique without serious thought about when and where he is going to backpedal.

It can seem effective to the user, I'm sure. But to the teammates he abandons through cowardice it's annoying.  For example it's usually great for allowing the enemy team to kill friendly archers.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 05:23:36 pm by Vance »

Offline Murmillus_Prime

• Earl
  • Renown: 424
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player
  • Dying is gay.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Murmillus_Prime
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2011, 05:35:16 pm »
Yep, it's a problem. Spam allows skill-less players (not accusing you directly) to top the charts easily. Fortunately, it is easy to counter: make consecutive swings after 2 gradually slower and slower. Then, every 2h will be required to learn blocking and skill will return.

Thing is, most players do 'spam', just because you're able to block alot of hits, doesn't make you a 'non spammer'. I can block sort of decently 1v1, depending on the situation, anyone who's dueled me knows I can at least block a bit and I don't rely on plain spam to kill. Sometimes block is all that saves me from dying, many times. Especially when I run around in my gambeson with my black hood, as of recent. I'm not a pro blocker but I can be a decent one sometimes. Even you should know this PTX, incase you wondered why stabbing 100 times a minute with your pike didn't always kill me.
Dumbfuck.Fuckwit.Cuntshit.Brickfuck.

Offline Murmillus_Prime

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Dying is gay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2011, 05:38:44 pm »
Spam and run away, don't forget 'run away'.

This kind of liability-player, especially if they look like a good player from stats and equipment, is a bountiful occurrence to a turtle with any sense.

If his style is 'backpedalling' then really what he's saying is that his style is 'being pushed around', he's just trying to put a positive spin on it.

Fair mistake for a dueler to make, but it's not a warrior's technique without serious thought about when and where he is going to backpedal.

It can seem effective to the user, I'm sure. But to the teammates he abandons through cowardice it's annoying.  For example it's usually great for allowing the enemy team to kill friendly archers.

Tell that to the turtles expecting to kill me with a finishing blow only to be cleaned up by 2 quick swipes of my hafted blade. Tell that to kinggrimm, phazh, and other known turtles. Yeah they've killed me alot but I've also killed them just as much if not more sometimes and they're turtles I'm a lowly backpedaling spammer who can't block right. I'm happy to duel anyone who challenges, no I'm not saying I'll win, I'm just saying I can prove to anyone I can block a bit, and I don't just spam.

My tactics are viable and many players use them. Using game physics to your advantage used to be called skill, I guess it's just spam now.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 05:40:36 pm by Murmillus_Prime »

Offline Vance

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2011, 06:01:36 pm »
Tell that to the turtles expecting to kill me with a finishing blow only to be cleaned up by 2 quick swipes of my hafted blade. Tell that to kinggrimm, phazh, and other known turtles. Yeah they've killed me alot but I've also killed them just as much if not more sometimes and they're turtles I'm a lowly backpedaling spammer who can't block right. I'm happy to duel anyone who challenges, no I'm not saying I'll win, I'm just saying I can prove to anyone I can block a bit, and I don't just spam.

My tactics are viable and many players use them. Using game physics to your advantage used to be called skill, I guess it's just spam now.

You missed the point and took it personally. Get over yourself and reread it. I'm just telling you that what you're doing has a place and that doing it all the time makes you a liability.

With this response you've effectively proven my guess right, you are a dueler and it's that environment that has gimped you. But from the sounds of things you got some self-esteem from doing well there, which is fine when it doesn't prevent you from realising you've plenty to learn for battles.

Look:

You can actually become a more flexible warrior. I show you the path to a great deal more power! ... lol

I hope you can understand this time that I attack a style of play and not a player.

If you are strong while failing your team (yeah I bet you can't accept that but anyway), then you will be even stronger when you have learned to serve it more effectively.

I guess the bottomline is that sometimes what you are good at is not what is needed for you to get the multiplier, so play to improve on your weaknesses.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 06:10:06 pm by Vance »

Offline Teddy bear

• Knight
  • Renown: 33
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Druzhina_Teddy_bear
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2011, 06:05:48 pm »
Very well thought explanation of melee "paradigm". Thumbs up to OP :)

Offline Murmillus_Prime

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Dying is gay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2011, 06:11:57 pm »
NVM

Judge me how you wish Vance, many do, good on you and on them. Have fun now.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 06:15:10 pm by Murmillus_Prime »

Offline Vance

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 26, 2011, 06:16:42 pm »
Err, vance... You made a judgement on me, how can you expect me not to react? PTX say's I spam, you concur then go further by presuming to think how I'd fight? Or was I seeing things when you said I spam and run away, calling me a liability player, I know you didn't do it directly but if you didn't want to offend me then you shouldn't have posted a quote from PTX that was directed at me.

I don't want to argue, yet here you are passing judgement on me.

You're still crying? ... *slap's Murmillus* - Pull yourself together! Be a man!

Now dry your eyes and look:
I hope you can understand this time that I attack a style of play and not a player.

And tell me what that means to you.

If you'd rather run off in tears, then do so. Personally I'd be more embarrassed about that than being shown how to get better at the game.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 06:19:56 pm by Vance »

Offline Murmillus_Prime

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Dying is gay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 26, 2011, 06:18:35 pm »
I'm sorry for being a liability.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 06:28:11 pm by Murmillus_Prime »

Offline Dunecat

• Noble
  • Renown: 19
  • cRPG Player
  • h+
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jaer_Selorn
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2011, 06:21:04 pm »
That was a really good post, Formless.
In memory of Jaer_Selorn, member of Str, ruler of Pagundur

Offline Vance

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2011, 06:21:33 pm »
I'm sorry for being a liability.

That's OK Murmillus, you will get better even if you resist the idea that anyone can be :wink:

(Spoiler that self-love image maybe? .. Or are you still so mad? lol)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 06:24:11 pm by Vance »

Offline bruce

• Count
  • Renown: 262
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: the Freak Army of the Gnjus / Saracens
  • Game nicks: Saracen_el_Brus
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2011, 06:23:13 pm »
Pffft Murmillus you noob, you're supposed to sacrifice yourself for the greater good!  :lol:
Best ban reason ever:
Quote from: Wookimonsta
I checked, the only Vagabond I found was Wolves_Vagabond_TheCruel, that guy is now unbanned. Ban reason was: "calling Zotte a cockswoggler".

Offline Murmillus_Prime

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Dying is gay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2011, 06:24:11 pm »
Notice the turtlers on my last screenshot and how I've got twice their score.

Hey is that you on my last screenshot vance? 3 places below my name?

Spoilered them.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 06:29:43 pm by Murmillus_Prime »

Offline Vance

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2011, 06:25:34 pm »
I think it's [spoiler.]stuff goes here[/spoiler.], but without the fullstops.

I think it's retarded to measure your value to the team using the scoreboard, BTW. It's about winning, not stealing other people's kills at the last moment, backstabbing and lancing, making the most of all those chips the archers took out of your opponents, etc. etc.

BTW the patch made things a bit harder for me... A shame you weren't around when I was topping the scoreboard, you'd have wrongly thought I was good at the game.

edit:

Toned down an accidental ambiguity that might have seen you start crying again ... lol
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 06:31:18 pm by Vance »

Offline Murmillus_Prime

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
  • Dying is gay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2011, 06:30:59 pm »
I think it's [spoiler.]stuff goes here[/spoiler.], but without the fullstops.

You have to be retarded to measure your value to the team using the scoreboard, BTW. It's about winning, not stealing other people's kills at the last moment, backstabbing and lancing.

BTW the patch made things a bit harder for me... A shame you weren't around when I was topping the scoreboard, you'd have wrongly thought I was good at the game.

I'm not saying you're a bad player and I'm by no means the best, and I know what point you're trying to make. Many times a turtler has leapt forward and struck me down when I did the same to him, he won becaue his weapon was faster and I didn't block expecting to hit him first. I'm just saying my style of play is viable and you shouldn't just write it off as bullshit. And I was a half decent player before the patch too, once had a score of 43 for 6 or something, yeah I was using full plate though, (milanese ect).
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 06:32:43 pm by Murmillus_Prime »