Author Topic: Faster Game Speed  (Read 20832 times)

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Faster Game Speed
« Reply #105 on: August 03, 2011, 01:44:07 pm »
It takes an average of only a few seconds for me to kill my opponent in melee on the battlefield, or be killed... I don't see this as needing to be faster. Rare are any fights that last longer then ten seconds.
I disagree with this, I come across plenty of opponents that I can't hit easily and who can't hit me easily, and I'm not even that good a blocker. A lot of fights just go on until a second player arrives on the scene.

The reason that cRPG became so slow is that strength is now the attribute of choice. 36 str builds are viable these days, I believe 36 str players do really good in battle. Try that with 36 or 33 agi or even 27 agi. You can't even use a proper weapon. Am I the only one who thinks that is very weird. 36 str should be a gimmick character, just like 36 agi. Agility is hugely inferior to strength, and that should be changed.

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • Renown: 109
  • Infamy: 55
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Corrado_the_Grey, Bodyguard_the_Grey, Sniper_IV_the_Grey, Ston3rh, Hopleet
« Reply #106 on: August 03, 2011, 03:00:24 pm »
I disagree with this, I come across plenty of opponents that I can't hit easily and who can't hit me easily, and I'm not even that good a blocker. A lot of fights just go on until a second player arrives on the scene.

The reason that cRPG became so slow is that strength is now the attribute of choice. 36 str builds are viable these days, I believe 36 str players do really good in battle. Try that with 36 or 33 agi or even 27 agi. You can't even use a proper weapon. Am I the only one who thinks that is very weird. 36 str should be a gimmick character, just like 36 agi. Agility is hugely inferior to strength, and that should be changed.

totally agree.

the reason that cRPG became so slow is that WPF cost is high and when you reach 150 profiency, strength is way more valuable in terms of efficiency. As the majority people states, the only reason to pump agility a bit is for ATH and agility running speed bonus itself.

i also did some good str builds in the past but i still need 5-6 ATH to chase runners and footwork essential for how i like to play.

the fact that EU player builds tends towards balanced or slightly agi biased, is only because are effective in duels. in USA strength builds seems to be the bigger part because they didn't have a duel server until USA strat came back.

Offline Fartface

• Earl
  • Renown: 476
  • Infamy: 288
  • cRPG Player
  • Centurii
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Deathcore,Djentcore,Deathmetal,Brutal,Slam
  • Game nicks: Growling,Grunting,Screaming,Squeeling
  • IRC nick: Fuck I love it.
« Reply #107 on: August 04, 2011, 12:13:11 am »
basically agree with darkfox.<
if you just dont be so scared to try an feint learn an feint do ur parkinson feint.
u wil actualy notice this makes it was faster, gets me more kills, but at the same time i sometimes just make an fail and u get killed but this is way more fun and most of the times more effective.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Hirlok

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • A friendly archer decorating your ass with arrows
    • View Profile
    • Gab.ai. Freedom of Speech matters.
  • Faction: Always Take The Shot
  • Game nicks: None that you need to know of - except Hirlok the Hermit.
« Reply #108 on: August 04, 2011, 02:11:12 am »
+1
this is a combat simulation, not some timelapse jump-and-run kiddo shooter...

Skill and tactics, not merely ping and reflexes...

Hermit Status report : feeling a little social. Threatening melee my old friends with a comeback. Greasing the string of his old longbow. Carving certain names into the tips of his arrows...

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 04, 2011, 02:24:34 am »

Your mother is a combat simulator
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Corrado_the_Grey, Bodyguard_the_Grey, Sniper_IV_the_Grey, Ston3rh, Hopleet
« Reply #110 on: August 04, 2011, 09:04:47 am »

this is a medieval war game with multiplayer capabilities... not a third age turn-based civilization VI, not even a medieval themed ArmA2 or Operation Flashpoint.

reflexes and reaction times play the bigger fighting part. that's why is so much ping dependant (more than a shooter... because in a shooter you just need to do is adding lag prediction to shots. here having 20 ping or 80 makes a big difference between to hit and being hit.)

then positioning skill (footwork) and team tactics.

if you make a team with superb field tactics but poor individual skills versus a team with poor field tactics but above average individual skills, the second team will still win. they will just need to stick together.

also see that the most skilled warband players usually pings between 30 and 50. there is nothing to do with it. low ping gives much more room for mistakes. and on par, the ping should remain stable. once you get used to a delay (ping) you react and use it accordingly. that's why is better a fixed 70 ping than a 30-60 variable ping.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 09:07:58 am by Corrado_Decimo »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #111 on: August 04, 2011, 09:07:40 am »
reflexes and reaction times play the bigger fighting part. that's why is so much ping dependant (more than a shooter... because in a shooter you just need to do is adding lag prediction to shots. here having 20 ping or 80 makes a big difference between to hit and being hit.)
also see that the most skilled warband players usually pings between 30 and 50. there is nothing to do with it. low ping gives much more room for mistakes.

Considering the average player has well over 50 ping...

You just made an arguement on why the game should not be even faster. Increasing game speed would only futher prove the point that this game "is so much ping dependant" so why make it worse?
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 04, 2011, 09:10:53 am »
+1
Considering the average player has well over 50 ping...

You just made an arguement on why the game should not be even faster. Increasing game speed would only futher prove the point that this game "is so much ping dependant" so why make it worse?

well after taking ping into the context (as i badly forgot) i just agree that we don't need the game to be set on FAST. but i still agree on some wpf calculation improvements to counter STR biased builds and making AGI a bit more useful than for running (footwork) purpose.

Offline v/onMega

• Count
  • Renown: 234
  • Infamy: 67
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_vMega
« Reply #113 on: August 04, 2011, 01:16:50 pm »
Prejanuary 27/27 build was fun.
The game felt about right on all the normal servers back then.
Duel could last as long as it does now, just needed players on a same skilllevel, not neceserilly charlvl.

It was the most thrilling, exhausting and demanding period of crpg.

Note-I said that december last year-:

Regardless of what happens to game balance etc., it will be the same players toping the scoreboards.

I was right, who was bad/ok/great stayed bad/ok/great.
Its not valid to mix a slower, easier balance with a general (automatically developing) better playerbase.

Ppl. who worked on their skill would ve gotten better anyways...regardless of the speed the game has.

CRPG sure still is great, but, the more casual it gets, the more it looses his unique WOW OHMAGAD moments.

Its all about the constant swingspeed nerfs in my opinion, not thaaat much about the wpp.

I' d welcome some faster swingspeeds, a little better wpp developement too :-).

And please, arguements about a learning curve?

Every tried going for a real simulator?

U d laugh about this so called learning curve in CRPG.

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
« Reply #114 on: August 04, 2011, 01:55:35 pm »
WOW OHMAGAD moments.

I want more of those!
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Hirlok

• Duke
  • Renown: 624
  • Infamy: 122
  • A friendly archer decorating your ass with arrows
    • View Profile
    • Gab.ai. Freedom of Speech matters.
  • Faction: Always Take The Shot
  • Game nicks: None that you need to know of - except Hirlok the Hermit.
« Reply #115 on: August 04, 2011, 03:12:36 pm »
Your mother is a combat simulator

You are a shining example for those in need of MOAR speed...

Suggestion: set one (battle) server to high speed, so the low-ping, epeeeeeeeeen carrying fast lovers who always finish too quickly can make out there.

And the rest of us can have fun on the other servers because it is good as it is.
Hermit Status report : feeling a little social. Threatening melee my old friends with a comeback. Greasing the string of his old longbow. Carving certain names into the tips of his arrows...

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #116 on: August 04, 2011, 03:29:53 pm »
cRPG_EU7_FASTEST_2H_ONLY

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #117 on: August 04, 2011, 03:43:57 pm »
cRPG_EU7_FASTEST_2H_ONLY

CMPX, we have a melee only server (Tunatown) for the North American community.  Can we have that set to the fastest speed as well??
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #118 on: August 04, 2011, 03:54:55 pm »
Why do you ask me? It's your server, of course you can...

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 04, 2011, 04:15:35 pm »
You are a shining example for those in need of MOAR speed...

Suggestion: set one (battle) server to high speed, so the low-ping, epeeeeeeeeen carrying fast lovers who always finish too quickly can make out there.

And the rest of us can have fun on the other servers because it is good as it is.

Oh yeah? Your FACE is a shining example.
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.