Poll

Does horse archery require a nerf?

Yes
No

Author Topic: Horse archery is too strong  (Read 28493 times)

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
Re: Horse archery is too strong
« Reply #300 on: July 22, 2014, 07:30:16 pm »
Are Byzantium the only clan where if we spot a clanmate on the other team everybody gets a raging bloodlust to murder him?

Nope, I always go for clan mates if they're on the enemy team.  Not sure why people feel the need to bro-code.  It's not going to hurt their feelings if you fight a friend/clan mate.  I take it as a compliment when I'm being targeted by people. 

Also the English Long Bow vs Middle East composite bows is ridiculous to argue using re-creations and testing from today.  The thing is, both these cultures had people shooting progressively larger draw poundage bows since they were able to walk.  Nobody today has the muscle strength or muscle memory required to accurately test the poundage that was used on the English long bows (can't say for sure about the composite bows, but I'd guess the argument is similarly silly to make). 
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 07:34:23 pm by CrazyCracka420 »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Macropus

• King
  • Renown: 1668
  • Infamy: 296
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Macropus
« Reply #301 on: July 22, 2014, 07:38:09 pm »
+3
Thats people limiting themselves when they have no reason to. Theres no reason for an archer not to take a Broad Short Sword at least, and even with a hammer they can block indefinately until they get a chance to kite. A pike is at a disadvantage 1v1, but he can also have a backup sidearm or kick/nudge until they can kite a bit. HA's only put themselves at risk when they choose to. Melee on the other hand have nothing to do but hide or hold up a shield and hope the HA doesn't go behind you or bump :D

Do you think melee are pointlessly limiting themselves by not taking a ranged weapon? Maybe, but thats a fault of the game balance imo - I don't think this game should be all about ranged gameplay when we have such a good melee system. I'd sooner play any other FPS in my game library than play this to shoot people, especially if I were shooting people who want to play for the melee gameplay
Okay, I have respeced from HA back to melee and therefore I now agree with you (no bias), nerf horse archers.

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: July 22, 2014, 07:46:16 pm »
+2
remove ranged cav. ban bro-coders.

Offline Glyph

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • Turbulence incoming
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Horris
« Reply #303 on: July 22, 2014, 08:12:37 pm »
+1
I just read this... and I had to lol. I'm not a britmy old friend, I don't consider any culture inherantly better than another either but: That's bullshit Smoothrich. Despite what hollywood or w/e has made you believe, the longbow used by the english that gained so much fame during the 100-years war period and continued to be used throughout Tudor times were:

NOT a selfbow: it is a natural laminate, so a compound bow, with sapwood resisting tension on the back and heartwood resisting compression in the belly. Yew was ideal for this, to the point where early conservationists complained about deforestation of yew trees.
NOT a flatbow: crosssection of a longbow/warbow will show it is a D shape.
NOT a straightbow: THIS is the biggest misconception you seem to be under, since many portrayals, especially in movies, show unstrung longbows to look a bit like a stave: Longbows were recurve bows. Very many manuscripts from medieval era show this. Unfortunatly, no medieval bows from england excist, of any shape, but hundreds of ones from the Mary Rose, flagship of Henry VIII, were recovered when the ship was raised, and they are ALL recurve bows.
Longbows, or warbows as they were also called, were primarily used on foot, of course, but when the english marched to france for war they took mounted archers with them. These guys would dismount and form up for pitched battles, because military archery is a question of volume of arrows, not the skirmish warfare of the steppe tribes, but there are times when they had to ride and shoot: There is nothing stopping the use of a longbow on horseback. When the English had to cross Somme, at the ford at Blangetac, the mounted archers went first, firing from horseback at the Picardy militiamen on the other side, to cover the foot archers and knights behind(This is documented, I forget the name of the manuscript but it is a French manuscript describing the events, not some britmy old friend propoganda, you could probably find it if you spoke french and check the National Library's website (w/e the French call their national Library)). This was 2 days before the battle of Crecy.

SO we have a reflex, compound bow, that CAN be used from horseback, can shoot between 15 and 20 arrows per minute, and draw weights between 90 pounds (women and children) to the 160-200 pound range.

SO tell me again how the Mongol and Turkish bows of the same design but lesser draw weight were shooting further with more force?

Because it doesn't make sense on any level, to me.
The warbow can indeed be used from horseback, but not with the same deadly power and speed as it would have on foot. The main advantage of using a really compact bow as the Tartars and Mongols did was that you could easily put your bow away to switch weapons, not only that but also would you be able to move your bow over the horse's neck whilst shooting, which means you have an extra edge over the use of a warbow from horseback because the turn radius of your bow is greater. Another thing which would in my oppinion is really weird about shooting a warbow from horseback is the following: When I shoot a longbow which is at the top end of the draw weight I can handle, yes I do this because I practice archery for the gigs,(and no not those 180lbs ones lol) all the muscle groups in my upper body are helping me to pull that string back, and to do that properly I have to stand very stable on the ground to shoot the thing, so how could one do that from the back of a horse? of course you could stand up in the stirups but I can't imagine being able to stand as steady in those. Anyhow, I guess we'll never really know, because we don't breed those darn gorillas anymore.
ow ow and you are completely right about the yew! it is THE best kind of wood to use for bowmaking, but not only the English had you available to them! Italian Yew is also very good for making bows, but the English were the only ones to see it's value and force every able boy from a young age to learn how to shoot it by law.

Glyph you have obsessive Horse Archer and Horse hatred.
- Official diagnosis :)

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: July 22, 2014, 09:46:43 pm »
I just read this... and I had to lol. I'm not a britmy old friend, I don't consider any culture inherantly better than another either but: That's bullshit Smoothrich. Despite what hollywood or w/e has made you believe, the longbow used by the english that gained so much fame during the 100-years war period and continued to be used throughout Tudor times were:

NOT a selfbow: it is a natural laminate, so a compound bow, with sapwood resisting tension on the back and heartwood resisting compression in the belly. Yew was ideal for this, to the point where early conservationists complained about deforestation of yew trees.
NOT a flatbow: crosssection of a longbow/warbow will show it is a D shape.
NOT a straightbow: THIS is the biggest misconception you seem to be under, since many portrayals, especially in movies, show unstrung longbows to look a bit like a stave: Longbows were recurve bows. Very many manuscripts from medieval era show this. Unfortunatly, no medieval bows from england excist, of any shape, but hundreds of ones from the Mary Rose, flagship of Henry VIII, were recovered when the ship was raised, and they are ALL recurve bows.
Longbows, or warbows as they were also called, were primarily used on foot, of course, but when the english marched to france for war they took mounted archers with them. These guys would dismount and form up for pitched battles, because military archery is a question of volume of arrows, not the skirmish warfare of the steppe tribes, but there are times when they had to ride and shoot: There is nothing stopping the use of a longbow on horseback. When the English had to cross Somme, at the ford at Blangetac, the mounted archers went first, firing from horseback at the Picardy militiamen on the other side, to cover the foot archers and knights behind(This is documented, I forget the name of the manuscript but it is a French manuscript describing the events, not some britmy old friend propoganda, you could probably find it if you spoke french and check the National Library's website (w/e the French call their national Library)). This was 2 days before the battle of Crecy.

SO we have a reflex, compound bow, that CAN be used from horseback, can shoot between 15 and 20 arrows per minute, and draw weights between 90 pounds (women and children) to the 160-200 pound range.

SO tell me again how the Mongol and Turkish bows of the same design but lesser draw weight were shooting further with more force?

Because it doesn't make sense on any level, to me.

lol, fucking anglophile. Not surprising that Europeans have such an insular, ignorant view of history..  perhaps read a history book not written by some 19th century white male racist imperialist  shitlord?
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #305 on: July 22, 2014, 11:11:58 pm »
+8
lol, fucking anglophile. Not surprising that Europeans have such an insular, ignorant view of history..  perhaps read a history book not written by some 19th century white male racist imperialist  shitlord?

Yeah, sperging out on him without any contradictory facts of your own is a solid strategy mate, you done trolled gud.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Kaoklai

• Tournament Champion
  • Earl
  • Renown: 400
  • Infamy: 285
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Free Huey
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: July 23, 2014, 02:59:23 am »
+3
NOT a selfbow: it is a natural laminate, so a compound bow, with sapwood resisting tension on the back and heartwood resisting compression in the belly.
A selfbow is a bow made from a single piece of wood.  The English longbow is made from a single piece of wood.  You might call it a "natural composite bow" to illustrate the heartwood/sapwood interaction, but it remains a selfbow made from a single piece of wood.  By the way, this is what a compound bow looks like
(click to show/hide)
Uh, you mean the Mary Rose longbows like these:
(click to show/hide)
Those aren't recurves, bro.  They're mostly straight and some are slightly curved in the wrong direction (for an unstrung recurve bow) -from heavy use probably. 

Here's a video of a dude using a 170 lb draw weight Mary Rose type longbow.  Notice how the string never lies along the the tips of the bow, i.e. it's not a recurve. 

There is nothing stopping the use of a longbow on horseback. When the English had to cross Somme, at the ford at Blangetac, the mounted archers went first, firing from horseback at the Picardy militiamen on the other side, to cover the foot archers and knights behind(This is documented, I forget the name of the manuscript but it is a French manuscript describing the events, not some britmy old friend propoganda, you could probably find it if you spoke french and check the National Library's website (w/e the French call their national Library)).
The average length of a Mary Rose longbow was 6 and a half feet.  You're saying that you don't see why it wouldn't be viable to use a ~150 pound draw, 6.5 foot tall bow on horseback?  Do you not understand basic body mechanics?  The only "evidence" for English horse archery at Blanchetaque I've seen is a single artist's rendition of the battle.  In the same picture the horse archer is wearing full plate, holding the bow fully drawn on the right side of his horse with his left hand (which we all know is impossible from playing M&B), and charging headfirst into a line of French knights. 

(click to show/hide)

The only thing you got right here are the draw weights. 
Reflex bow, notice how it curls into a C-shape unstrung. 

Compound bow. 

15-20 arrows per minute is total bullshit.  8 is around the upper limit for usefulness on a high poundage bow.  Anything higher and you simply won't be able to fully draw or aim.  Longbows don't turn you into Legolas. 

1) Nobody said they can shoot farther and with more force with lower draw weight.  The post you replied to didn't mention draw weight.

2) They aren't of the same design.  Are you fucking blind, guy?  If you think a Mongol or Turkish reflex, recurve bow is of the same design as an English longbow, you're beyond help.   

3) Mongol/Turkish bows were capable of ranges and "force" similar to English longbows because they could have similar draw weights.  The reason a much smaller bow was capable of similar draw weights to a larger bow is that they used more efficient materials and configurations (horn, sinew, different woods for different parts of the bow; recurved, reflexed). 

There are also a lot of other variables that affect range and power beyond draw weight -arrow wobbling and vibration, smoothness of release, arrow size/weight/head-shape. 

it doesn't make sense on any level, to me.
I suspect that's true for many topics. 

Apparently longbow is to Europeans what katana is to weeaboos.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 03:10:07 am by Kaoklai »

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: July 23, 2014, 03:07:42 am »
in crpg, i think its lame that i can shoot longer with a regular short bow or bow than with a longbow  :lol:  the arrow is dropping very fast when using longbow, i believe this was "a fix" some time ago. IMO it should be reverted.

also

arrow size/weight/head-shape.

huge impact!

awesome post kaoklai

Offline Herezy92

• Earl
  • Renown: 414
  • Infamy: 21
  • Frog
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Herezy
« Reply #308 on: July 23, 2014, 09:22:46 am »
+1
Herezy, it's the Ius primae noctis. We all know it from the movie braveheart  :mrgreen:
Ah ? it's in braveheart ? lol i don't remember :)
But for sure it's a pretty nice right.

Offline Herezy92

• Earl
  • Renown: 414
  • Infamy: 21
  • Frog
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Herezy
« Reply #309 on: July 23, 2014, 10:34:46 am »
+1
And one of the biggest misconceptions, and i blame films like LOTR and games like Mount & Blade[...]
Fcking Legolas, u besterd stop killing Uruks & Orcs.
Fcking cheater. :)
(click to show/hide)

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: July 23, 2014, 11:13:45 am »
And one of the biggest misconceptions, and i blame films like LOTR and games like Mount & Blade, is that people used bows for 'sniping' or even aimed at a single target.

You stand in a line, and you fire as many arrows as you can. We're talking volleys not elven or COD bullshit. With the arrows planted in the ground next to you (not over the shoulder like some my old friendgy elf) and not taking care to aim at a specific target, or see if your shot takes them, that rate of fire is utterly reasonable. The figure was derived from experimental archaeology and testing using high poundage bows, not just blind faith in historical 'Rule Brittania' type texts.

Your concept of 'usefulness' appears to be totally missing the point of a volley, you're not a sniper in any modern sense, you're not aiming for the jugular from 200 yards and you certainly arent any use to your army as a lone archer - that's why the fact the French had longbowmen is rarely mentioned, there were never enough to make an impact. The biggest downside of this style was the historical problem of running out of damn arrows very soon into the battle, particularly when fighting overseas.

Mongol/Turkish bow fanboyism is different from Longbow fanboyism how exactly? That just seems like full-on weaboo worship, ''it's from the east so it's better''.

It's like you watched some low budget 90s documentary on the battle of Agincourt and you think you are a master of the global thousands year long martial history of the bow.  It's hilarious.  Vomiting uncited and incorrect wikifacts about the hundred years war does nothing to conceal your profound ignorance of military history or frankly any critical reasoning and common sense at all. You are a testament to the European race being upjumped dark age neanderthals.
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: July 23, 2014, 12:15:59 pm »
+1
Brits are like the EU Americans except many Americans actually have the sense of being ironic about their blind chauvinism.

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: July 23, 2014, 05:10:57 pm »
+1
A selfbow is a bow made from a single piece of wood.  The English longbow is made from a single piece of wood.  You might call it a "natural composite bow" to illustrate the heartwood/sapwood interaction, but it remains a selfbow made from a single piece of wood.  By the way, this is what a compound bow looks like
(click to show/hide)
Uh, you mean the Mary Rose longbows like these:
(click to show/hide)
Those aren't recurves, bro.  They're mostly straight and some are slightly curved in the wrong direction (for an unstrung recurve bow) -from heavy use probably. 

Here's a video of a dude using a 170 lb draw weight Mary Rose type longbow.  Notice how the string never lies along the the tips of the bow, i.e. it's not a recurve. 

The average length of a Mary Rose longbow was 6 and a half feet.  You're saying that you don't see why it wouldn't be viable to use a ~150 pound draw, 6.5 foot tall bow on horseback?  Do you not understand basic body mechanics?  The only "evidence" for English horse archery at Blanchetaque I've seen is a single artist's rendition of the battle.  In the same picture the horse archer is wearing full plate, holding the bow fully drawn on the right side of his horse with his left hand (which we all know is impossible from playing M&B), and charging headfirst into a line of French knights. 

(click to show/hide)
The only thing you got right here are the draw weights. 
Reflex bow, notice how it curls into a C-shape unstrung. 

Compound bow. 

15-20 arrows per minute is total bullshit.  8 is around the upper limit for usefulness on a high poundage bow.  Anything higher and you simply won't be able to fully draw or aim.  Longbows don't turn you into Legolas. 

1) Nobody said they can shoot farther and with more force with lower draw weight.  The post you replied to didn't mention draw weight.

2) They aren't of the same design.  Are you fucking blind, guy?  If you think a Mongol or Turkish reflex, recurve bow is of the same design as an English longbow, you're beyond help.   

3) Mongol/Turkish bows were capable of ranges and "force" similar to English longbows because they could have similar draw weights.  The reason a much smaller bow was capable of similar draw weights to a larger bow is that they used more efficient materials and configurations (horn, sinew, different woods for different parts of the bow; recurved, reflexed). 

There are also a lot of other variables that affect range and power beyond draw weight -arrow wobbling and vibration, smoothness of release, arrow size/weight/head-shape. 
I suspect that's true for many topics. 

Apparently longbow is to Europeans what katana is to weeaboos.

First: I made a type, you're right, I wrote reflex once instead of recurve because I was thinking about something else at the time. That's my bad.

Now, let us adress some of the bullshit you have spouted.

You have a modern bow picture: is it a compound? I don't know, you claim it to be, so I will believe you, I have never made nor fired such a bow, I have no interest in it.

The definition of compound is two or more elements combined. So, when I write that a yew longbow is a compound bow I'm pretty sure that I'm factually correct, which is the best kind of correct.

As to some video you linked, I watched it: my hopes for it being anything useful died when I watched them weighing it off center. Then he started shooting by pulling back on the string while hunched then he did some weird aim down then up shit. I don't know who taught him that, but that is gonna do wondrous damage to him and be horribly tiring and inneficient. He really needs to learn to bend the bow around himself not trying to pull back on the string. Anyway, back to your post:

I don't know what or who made that ugly looking POS bow they have there, but even it was an accurate recreation of anything used by soldiers between 1200-1500 in England, why would the string be touching the limbs? Being a recurve bow in no way requires the string to touch the limbs, and while in small bows with extremely pronounced recurves you will see the string sit on the limbs, it isn't a requirement or even desired since it kills a lot of the speed of the release.

Also, you linked a pic of an actual reflex bow unstrung. Like I wrote before, sure I made a typo, never meant to claim a longbow was ever a reflex bow: but that picture, lol: it's labelled turkish bow in the link, but it is clearly a korean bow. Anyway, from your post I am guessing you have little to no experience with bows or archery, and you are trying to make some point. Unfortunatly, except for pointing out my typo, all you have done is present some nice pictures and videos by people who if possible are even less well informed than yourself.

You wrote that noone mentioned drawweight when comparing eastern and western bows before me: well, I guess again this was a communication problem, since clearly smooth wrote that they were "easier", the exact word used. So, to me, to the only thing affecting the "ease" with which I draw the bow is the weight: so by "easier" I assumed he meant less drawweight. If he failed at expressing himself (because I dont know what else could make for more ease of use) then don't jump down MY throat.

As to your katana for weaabos comparison: no, I don't think the longbow was some godlike tool, but it must have been brutally effective or noone would have wasted their time on its use. The true miracle of engineering from the west that FAR outstrips the pretty crappy katana is the longsword. Its a thing of beauty, like the katana, but it is also functional on a battlefield, UNLIKE the katana. Although, it is easily put to shame by the true kings of the armoured battlefield, the Poleaxe.

Oh and "bro" your comment about the photos of the longbows: I am going to reply because I honestly think you weren't trolling: Those aren't bent with use, they are bent the opposite way to their strung shape, making them all recurve bows. Forget your ego, if you know anything about archery at all, look again at those bows, and see the truth there: Most of them have probably never been bent since they were tillered, never used. If they HAD been ben from use, they would have been discarded: They were on a King's flagship. Not some desperate defence somewhere where they had to keep using bows past their effective lifespan.

And last: the speed I quoted of 15-20 APM is accurate, despite your weird point about being effective. A typical armoured charge would take anything from 30 seconds to a minute. Lets take a short average at 40 seconds. Several sources believe this is how long the charge at Crecy lasted. I use this example because it is one of the few I could find several different people agreeing about the time it would take to cover the distance on a well fed and trained horse. Also lets go for the slow side on the APM, so 15 APM, 40 seconds, thats 10 arrows. Now, in GAMES and MOVIES, you aim at a man and shoot him. But that isn't accurate to what we know about archery being used on a large scale: It is believed from the pay records that there were 5.5k archers and 2k mounted archers (on foot of course) at the top of the hill at Crecy, but again we will take a lower number. So, 5000 archers, each firing 10 arrows in that 40 second charge. Thats FIFTY THOUSAND ARROWS. Do you really think that with an arrowstorm of 50,000 arrows each archer needs to pick a target and aim for him? Or would ranging the mass of charging men be enough.

Because I think ranging them would be enough. So, I call it effective.

Any other random pictures about things you haven't understood and points about stuff you haven't though out you want debunking or explaining? Let me know.
I don't know enough

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: July 23, 2014, 05:15:47 pm »
+1
British people, famously lacking a sense of irony.
Famously lacking the good sense to scrutinize their own country's historical 'achievements' or 'inventions'.

Also Blind Guy when you say compound bow you probably mean composite bow.

Offline BlindGuy

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 583
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • De oppresso liber et plus ultra.
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: July 23, 2014, 05:31:45 pm »
+1
Also Blind Guy when you say compound bow you probably mean composite bow.

Compound: combination of two or more elements.

Composite: made up of several parts or elements.

Yes. And yes. Yes. They are the same. I have no interest in modern servo-assisted archery, I really couldn't care less what they have bastardised the word compound to mean in their lingo. Just as they have no interest in correctly labelling their precursors, since when I read your comment: because you tend to read before you write, I googled modern compound bows, and the first listing read " limbs much stiffer than those of a recurve bow or longbow", and since a longbow IS a recurve bow, I stopped reading, because as usual, it was evident that hollywood knowledge has won out over actual historic evidence. :(

(click to show/hide)
Well Heskey I'm not British, but I am gonna claim longbows for Britain.... cause they were used mainly by the English, but the first documented evidence of bows of that length with the slightly recurved limbs being used effectively in a military context are of Welshmen shooting Englishmen...
I don't know enough