Author Topic: Playing on the same computer  (Read 1008 times)

Offline Gondemar

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Torayama clan, Ninja, ex-Shogunate, ex-Pecores
  • Game nicks: Torayama_Munemori (main) ; Satsujin_the_Unseen ; Gondemar_the_Fat
Playing on the same computer
« on: July 06, 2011, 02:20:39 am »
Hello everyone.

I come to you with a HUUUUUGE small problem, which I might not be the only one to have :
A friend of mine who will be my roommate for a little while, finally decided to start playing cRPG. He does not have a steam account and bought Warband from talesworld directly : so I downloaded the last version of Warband on their site, installed it so I would have 2 different versions of the game installed, one on Steam, and the Talesworld's one.

But it appears every character he creates is created on my account, with my key. I just can't dissociate the two accounts so that he can play without accessing all my stuff (he almost did "skip the fun", I would have lost 6 characters and 9 heirloom points... And I would have had to murder him, which would have lead to greater problems...), I don't know why.

Anybody has an idea ? He tried to create a Steam account, but can't activate Warband on it with the key he got from Talesworld.

I tried a lot of things, uninstalled and installed back both games, or only one : we even validated his key while logging on a Native server with his version of the game, but it didn't helped, when he created another character, it xas just considered one of my alts.
I searched this forum, and Talesworld's one, try to look for keys in the registry (Currrent user, software, warbandkeys), and it seems that I can have only one key registered on my computer at the same time...

Sorry to bother you guyz with that... The most simple thing would be to successfully activate his warband version on Steam, but he just can't... (he has a regular 4x4 key).

If anyone has a solution, I'd be most gratefull.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

The Way of the Samurai is found in death ; Torayama Clan
                          Munemori's armory

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Playing on the same computer
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 08:38:19 am »
+1
Best solution would be just to get a second PC. Having 2 Warband keys on one PC is looked down upon by the devs.

If you do want to do this, read this topic:

http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,8986.0.html

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 08:47:35 am »
+4
The solution is pretty simple actually.

The thing you need to understand is this: every time you launch the game with steam, steam over-writes the cd key registry to the steam key.
I don't play with my steam version at all anymore, I launch exclusively the non-steam game so that doesn't happen. [I lag less without steam too :D]
Then, all you have to do is change the registry to the cd key you want to play on. For ease of use, save your cd keys in a text file so you can copy paste them in.

All you have to do to change CD keys is: open regedit (go to start --> run; Type in regedit), then in regedit go to My Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\MountAndBladeWarbandKeys                     
Regedit saves the filepath most recently used when next time opening it, so you don't have to search for it every time.
 Once there, double click on serial key, and paste in the CD key you want. Done! When you connect to the servers now it will be with that key, and you'll play on a separate account! Fun fact: This can be done while the game is still open and running because it is just a registry check to see what key you have. You don't even have to close warband, although you should definitely not be connected to a server while doing it.

It takes me less than 5 seconds to switch CD key.
5x5 keys and 4x4 keys both work, there are no problems with either unlike people like to say. Steam or non steam. No problems.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 08:53:11 am by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline Gondemar

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 2
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Torayama clan, Ninja, ex-Shogunate, ex-Pecores
  • Game nicks: Torayama_Munemori (main) ; Satsujin_the_Unseen ; Gondemar_the_Fat
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 01:36:20 pm »
Seems to be the solution... Thank you guys !

The Way of the Samurai is found in death ; Torayama Clan
                          Munemori's armory

Offline asheme

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 07:59:52 pm »
snip
Yup. And to emphasize, you only need to edit the registry when you want to launch the non-steam version. Launching from steam will overwrite whatever is in the registry.

Offline Rangerbob

• Knight
  • Renown: 40
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rangerbob
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 08:04:23 pm »
You can do it with a quick windows script as well.  would take less than 5 seconds alt tab double click then go back in.  One script for each key.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 09:33:01 pm »
It's a lot easier when for an example: I go to my friend, and if I want to play my cRPG char, I just switch steam accounts, and play.  :)

But it's possible without steam, just have to change keys manually.  :wink:

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!