Author Topic: Long spears aka pikes  (Read 30602 times)

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Long spears aka pikes
« Reply #405 on: August 19, 2012, 01:54:54 am »

For exemple, I'm fighting a random melee dude, I see a pikeman coming, I try my hardest to get them in a straight line which I usually can since I play with 8 athletics, you'd figured being in a straight line with a melee guy and a pikeman would be helpful unless the pikeman wanted to kill his friends. Oh wait oops, he just used his wizardry shit to stab THROUGH his teammate despite us being in a straight line that I forced specifically so that wouldn't happen.

That also applies to walls, there's so many times I was hiding around short walls that still covered my head, drinking my water bottle thinking that guy on the other side couldn't hit me unless he ran to the other side to actually fight me but nope, just stabs above wall, curve the pike around the wall, stab everyone even remotely close to hiding behind that wall.

I never get a free pass to stab through a team mate with my spear or pike.  I've never seen it happen.  I do get a team wounding  report whenever I miss and hit a team mate. 

I agree with your second point about the jump stabs from behind walls.  It's like your head hitbox is a stove pipe hat, three feet tall, that the pike man can hit from the other side of the wall.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2012, 01:58:56 am by Turkhammer »

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Caita_KUTT, Fellys_KUTT
« Reply #406 on: August 20, 2012, 09:49:43 pm »
I try my hardest to get them in a straight line

There's your problem right there. That is EXACTLY what the pikeman wants you to try. It just gives him a perfect line up to pin you down while his ally swings away.

You can't fight a pike/LS like you would a 2Her (i.e getting the two between each other with the one that came at you first in front). Footwork is EXTREMELY important when fighting a pikeman, it's just not the same footwork you would use against a 2H + 2H combo.

What you need to do is get past the random melee-er, and get the pikeman between you and him. It requires playing very defensively, as far as blocks goes, while using very aggressive footwork. to get past the melee-er without getting stabbed. I wouldn't even try and attack until you've gotten past the melee-er.

If you can get them separated long enough for one of them to attack without the other being able to help, you can often use this as an opportunity to get into melee range of the pikeman, and get around him.

Just a tip, pikeman don't like to wiggle to the right. It works fine, but it just feels really weird. So if you can, try and circle around to your right when getting past the melee-er, so he's in the way of their wiggle. This is by no means a 100% guarantee it will work, but it's a much safer bet than trying to go left.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Vkvkvk

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 21, 2012, 05:35:12 am »
There's your problem right there. That is EXACTLY what the pikeman wants you to try. It just gives him a perfect line up to pin you down while his ally swings away.

You can't fight a pike/LS like you would a 2Her (i.e getting the two between each other with the one that came at you first in front). Footwork is EXTREMELY important when fighting a pikeman, it's just not the same footwork you would use against a 2H + 2H combo.

What you need to do is get past the random melee-er, and get the pikeman between you and him. It requires playing very defensively, as far as blocks goes, while using very aggressive footwork. to get past the melee-er without getting stabbed. I wouldn't even try and attack until you've gotten past the melee-er.

If you can get them separated long enough for one of them to attack without the other being able to help, you can often use this as an opportunity to get into melee range of the pikeman, and get around him.

Just a tip, pikeman don't like to wiggle to the right. It works fine, but it just feels really weird. So if you can, try and circle around to your right when getting past the melee-er, so he's in the way of their wiggle. This is by no means a 100% guarantee it will work, but it's a much safer bet than trying to go left.

I still find it a bit stupid, have to throw out real life logic completely out the window to adapt to a nearly non-sensical strategy.

I guess having a logic mind is my downside in this game. When I'm behind a wall I'm assuming I'm protected from hits, same with the above situation I said.

I don't expect pikes to suddenly become ethereal and ignore anything in their ways to conveniently stab me through a meter thick rock wall that's tall enough to go slightly above my head or to conveniently stab me through their teammates' stomachs.

This strategy is also hard to apply even with 7+ Athletics, pikeman will usually be backpedalling all day while that guy you're supposed to keep in the back will be going forward all day.

Offline Grumpy_Nic

• King
  • Renown: 1023
  • Infamy: 306
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Hermann_von_Krems
« Reply #408 on: August 21, 2012, 02:37:41 pm »
+3
Supporting others with long spear is epic

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #409 on: August 21, 2012, 02:59:43 pm »
I still find it a bit stupid, have to throw out real life logic completely out the window to adapt to a nearly non-sensical strategy.

You know by real life logic you are meant to lose a 2v1 right?

Offline Vkvkvk

• Baron
  • Renown: 106
  • Infamy: 41
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 21, 2012, 05:46:11 pm »
You know by real life logic you are meant to lose a 2v1 right?

2v1 is not a guaranteed win.

Offline Zanze

• Earl
  • Renown: 366
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Ravens of Valhalla
  • Game nicks: Raven_Zan
« Reply #411 on: August 21, 2012, 08:40:12 pm »
+1
So you are saying single person has a greater chance of beating two enemies at once than two people have at beating one. The whole game should be balanced by this rule correct?

No. Real life logic will state that 2 will defeat 1 most the time.

Gaming logic will state that 2 will defeat 1 all the time. This is all speaking with equal skill.(Which the game is balanced around)

Now, where skill cannot be measured comes another point that you fail to address. If a character gives up the majority of his ability to fight someone in a 1 on 1 situation in order to excel at assisting a teammate, why should he lose to the single player fighting him and his teammate. Now, yes, you can win versus 2 if the other is a long spear by killing the non-spearman and the longspear will almost always be an easy kill. (Granted you aren't stupid and he does not have a sidearm)

However, why again should the odds be tipped in your favor Vkvkvk? Because you, a duelist who specializes in fighting a single player at a time, lose against 2 players focused on teamwork.  So why should it be fixed?

Rock says scissors are fine, but paper needs to be nerfed.