Author Topic: What We're Reading  (Read 38611 times)

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
Re: What We're Reading
« Reply #450 on: February 29, 2016, 08:39:46 pm »
+3
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Crossroads of Continents: Cultures of Siberia and Alaska

Yo I found this at the thrift store for less than a dollar!!! It's laid out like a college text book but it has a shitload of cool pictures. It's like a museum. Shows everyday and festive/noble clothing from various peoples, and all kinds of wares (cold metalworking, pottery, woven bastkets and etc.) and luxury items (tobacco pipes and pouches, jewelry, etc.).

I am so fucking excited I found this. It's something I didn't even know I wanted, but the second I laid eyes on the cover I was like FUCK YESSSSS THIS IS EXTREMELY MY SHIT!!!!!

Half-subterranean houses, reindeer herders, whale hunters, fur trappers, gutskin parkas, household objects carved and woven with such care they belong in a temple... YASSSSSS
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 08:43:20 pm by WITCHCRAFT »

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Kirman

• Duke
  • Renown: 609
  • Infamy: 69
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tormatun
  • Game nicks: Kirman/Namrik/Anmirk/Riknam
« Reply #451 on: May 10, 2016, 04:55:11 pm »
+3
Focused on french literature nowadays... Read both french and turkish versions...

Montesquieu - Persian Letters
Montesquieu - Rise And Fall of the Roman Empire
Voltaire - Micromegas
Jean - Jacques Rousseau - The Social Contract

Also;

Jack London - Iron Heel
George Orwell - 1984
George Orwell - Animal Farm
Franz Kafka - The Trial
John Zerzan - Future Primitive

« Last Edit: May 10, 2016, 05:04:04 pm by Xside »

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #452 on: May 11, 2016, 01:49:00 am »
+4
Yo comic book nerds an internet friend showed me the amazing superhero works of Fletcher Hanks. I introduce you to Stardust The Superwizard!

"I Shall Destroy All Civilized Planets!"

"You Shall Die By Your Own Evil Creation!"

They are pre World War II, and I am not being a spicy meme lord when I say Stardust is "autistic brand X Superman." It reads like bad fanfiction, but this was written by a dead serious grown ass man. I can't put it into words. Feast your eyes:

All of the justice served by Stardust the Super Wizard and fucking skull face lady read like the worst revenge fantasies you could imagine. It's solid fucking gold, do yourself a favor and read it. There's plenty of pages online but it's a great coffee table book. People can't help but thumb through it and go "WHAT THE FUCK"
« Last Edit: May 11, 2016, 02:32:18 pm by WITCHCRAFT »

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: May 11, 2016, 03:06:26 am »
I was reading the Witcher series of books but wish it just ended at the short stories, the games seemed to have followed a similar course where it went from an original case of intrigue to upping the ante a bit too much for my tastes. I know it's fantasy but I'm tired of the world always ending.

Earlier I had attempted to re-read Crime and Punishment and was surprised at how much more of an impact the murder had on me, and how differently I viewed the protagonist, as opposed to when I originally read it a decade ago.
And how!

Offline Voncrow

• Earl
  • Renown: 474
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • No honour in retreat
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sovereign Kingdom of Thirdarrel
  • Game nicks: Voncrow, Bane, Velcrow
« Reply #454 on: May 11, 2016, 04:43:47 am »
I just finished reading the Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson, now I'm just reading Flash Comics and preparing myself to try to slog through the beginning of Clash of Kings again. Last time I tried I got through 4 chapters and quit because I thought it was too boring. Any read any recent good fantasy books lately?
'The only people who might be put off M:BG by the current state of cRPG would be cRPG players, and we don't want that kind of scum in M:BG anyway.' - Heskey

Offline Knute

• Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 682
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Peasants of Fisdnar
« Reply #455 on: May 11, 2016, 05:51:19 am »
I just finished reading the Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson, now I'm just reading Flash Comics and preparing myself to try to slog through the beginning of Clash of Kings again. Last time I tried I got through 4 chapters and quit because I thought it was too boring. Any read any recent good fantasy books lately?

Try the audiobook versions, so much easier to make it through. I listened to the entire series that way at work. There's a couple of the books up on YouTube too.

Offline karasu

• King
  • Renown: 1751
  • Infamy: 316
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • D̶͎̳͒́͗͋ẹ͕̲̠̳̄̃͂ͤ͑ͮṃ̮͎̗̦̏̿͊ͤi̥̪̼͕ͦ̀̊̐ȗ̘rͩ͋̅̊gͭ̿̋
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: May 11, 2016, 10:25:24 am »

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: May 11, 2016, 06:48:18 pm »
+1

I hate it when the author's name is written in letters bigger than the title. "Nerdy" hipster fashion made it so that it's no longer important what you're reading, but rather, who you're reading.

Offline Ikarus

• King
  • Renown: 1470
  • Infamy: 121
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Your favourite Schnitzel
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Ikarooz, CrossBowbimbo
« Reply #458 on: May 11, 2016, 08:35:18 pm »
+2
I really wanted to read something like Metro2033 again, but didn´t want to reread 2033 or 2034. And then, some weeks ago, I´m just randomly looking around in a bookstore and BOOM:
Metro 2035, freshly released not even a month ago (german version)

Go go, Artjom!

Offline Gurgumul

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 99
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: May 12, 2016, 05:39:35 am »
+1
Metro 2035
No, it clearly says METPO. Must be some cheap Russian knock off.

Offline karasu

• King
  • Renown: 1751
  • Infamy: 316
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • D̶͎̳͒́͗͋ẹ͕̲̠̳̄̃͂ͤ͑ͮṃ̮͎̗̦̏̿͊ͤi̥̪̼͕ͦ̀̊̐ȗ̘rͩ͋̅̊gͭ̿̋
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: May 12, 2016, 10:34:18 am »
+1
I hate it when the author's name is written in letters bigger than the title. "Nerdy" hipster fashion made it so that it's no longer important what you're reading, but rather, who you're reading.

The question is: who cares? I only care about the inside, fuck covers and publishing tricks.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #461 on: May 12, 2016, 11:29:24 am »
+2
Earlier I had attempted to re-read Crime and Punishment and was surprised at how much more of an impact the murder had on me, and how differently I viewed the protagonist, as opposed to when I originally read it a decade ago.

Did you read it for an assignment originally? There's plenty of books I had to read in school that I didn't care for, but found myself enjoying a lot more afterwards. Reading for your own pleasure vs with a work-related objective can be different.

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: May 17, 2016, 08:29:45 pm »
Just finished the Richard Morgan books Altered Carbon and Broken Angels. Quite good Sci-Fi, looking forward to the TV series.

Currently reading Mein Kampf by albert einstein. It's the Ford translation from 2009 which is supposed to be the best one yet. It's an interesting read. I highly recommend it, especially if you are interested in political history.

Offline SixThumbs

• Duke
  • Renown: 567
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player
  • Consumer Whore
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: May 18, 2016, 02:04:18 am »
Did you read it for an assignment originally? There's plenty of books I had to read in school that I didn't care for, but found myself enjoying a lot more afterwards. Reading for your own pleasure vs with a work-related objective can be different.

That one wasn't an assignment, I was a bad school student and would only do the required reading if it interested me. I ended up reading some classics that weren't part of the curriculum though in my own time.
And how!

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: May 18, 2016, 02:05:53 am »
+1
The question is: who cares? I only care about the inside, fuck covers and publishing tricks.

I've discovered plenty of great books because the cover got me to look at it for more than 2 seconds, then I read the summary and took it home.

Likewise, when I see (for example) Glenn Beck's smirking face taking up 75% of the cover I know not to go near it... it's like amanita mushrooms or poison dart tree frogs. An emphatic "don't touch me!"