Author Topic: we're back at CounterStrike medieval.  (Read 24844 times)

Offline Siboire

• Knight
  • Renown: 43
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player
  • Sergentariá D'armas
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Occitan
  • Game nicks: Occitan_FullMetalJacket
we're back at CounterStrike medieval.
« on: June 13, 2011, 02:30:09 am »
Played 80 man NA Battle server today, and it's just sad how there's so many archers... it seems the Legolas syndrom is still in cRPG.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
Re: we're back at CounterStrike medieval.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2011, 02:35:39 am »
Played 80 man NA Battle server today, and it's just sad how there's so many archers... it seems the Legolas syndrom is still in cRPG.

I will reiterate forever that this is a problem with the PLAYERS of the game and not the game itself.  The only way to solve this is to either get rid of ranged altogether, however that's not a viable option.

Give gamers a game with great melee mechanics and they'll choose the path of gayness by shooting at everyone.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2011, 02:49:21 am »
cRPG zombie invasion but instead of zombie bots you get to shoot at real people  :mrgreen:

Thank god im not playing on NA tho..
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Lorenzo

• Noble
  • Renown: 20
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
  • Pew Pew!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_SaifaQc
  • IRC nick: Lorenzo
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2011, 02:53:49 am »
Yeah, archery should not play a role in a medieval game. :)

But on a serious note, there is lots of ways to ajust your playstyle to a healthy amount of archers, you guys should be smart enough to figure it out someday.

Offline Siboire

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Sergentariá D'armas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2011, 03:02:09 am »
I will reiterate forever that this is a problem with the PLAYERS of the game and not the game itself.  The only way to solve this is to either get rid of ranged altogether, however that's not a viable option.

Give gamers a game with great melee mechanics and they'll choose the path of gayness by shooting at everyone.

Let's put a limit of time players can be archers xD

Yeah, archery should not play a role in a medieval game. :)

But on a serious note, there is lots of ways to ajust your playstyle to a healthy amount of archers, you guys should be smart enough to figure it out someday.

Sure, coming from a guy that played 95% of his time on cRPG as archer... your opinion is certainly not biased...
/sarcasm off.

Having most of teams made of archers is certainly not a "healthy amount of archers". We should be able to enjoy different builds (not necessarly 2handers, im no 2hander myself) and not be stuck to always use a shield. I understand range should be there but when 90% of ur deaths are due to archers (I dont care about xbowers/throwers cuz these need to be dedicated to use it efficiently), the game becomes really old. If you guys (archers that can't play well other classes) want to pew pew, why dont u do so in a FPS, not a medieval battle/siege simulator.

Offline Belhade

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2011, 03:03:48 am »
Archers camping on roofs just means we should be able to torch the building.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 03:08:29 am »
just give shields their forcefields back and problem is solved.  Casual sniping is rendered pointless for the most part

Offline KaMiKaZe_JoE

• Marshall
  • Renown: 904
  • Infamy: 117
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Cavalieres
  • Game nicks: KaMiKaZe _______
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 03:16:49 am »
The only time archery is a "problem" is when large numbers of archers (and crossbowmen, they are also exist) manage to get ontop of roofs or in other hard to get at places and catch their unshielded targets in a lulzy crossfire. It can be hard to avoid taking arrows from multiple directions when certain maps are all twisty and convaluted, with roofs and houses and stairs everywhere.

Not really a big problem imo. Sounds a bit mad in here to be honest.
"I don't think I'd want to meet anyone from cRPG. Sorry no offense lol" -TG

Offline PhantomZero

• Earl
  • Renown: 384
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
  • I'm going to need you playing at 6AM on Saturday..
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BIRD CLAN
  • Game nicks: POSTMASTER_PHANTOM0_OF_BIRD
  • IRC nick: PhantomZero
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 04:09:00 am »
The real problem is the overabundance of 2H players on the NA servers.

Less 2H means Less ranged.

1H's who try to fight 2H and fail pick up a bow, crossbow, or axes to compensate.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 04:31:19 am »
The real problem is the overabundance of 2H players on the NA servers.

Less 2H means Less ranged.

1H's who try to fight 2H and fail pick up a bow, crossbow, or axes to compensate.

So...
Everyone should just play a 1h/shielder?  Good to know.

Offline John

• Knight
  • Renown: 41
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: None
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 04:40:46 am »
Well, the way I see it, new players get easily discouraged when they start because they can't compete with anyone for at least a day of playing, so they notice that they're getting killed by one or two arrows or bolts all the time and end up going with that.  Then on the other side of the spectrum, a lot of veteran players have a propensity for getting a little tired of the "same old" fights and decide to play as a ranger for a while. 

I do kinda wish people would cut it out though.  This is the only game with any sort of decent melee system.  If people want to play an archer they might as well just mod Bad Company 2 to have lower muzzle velocity.

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 04:48:43 am »
Well, the way I see it, new players get easily discouraged when they start because they can't compete with anyone for at least a day of playing, so they notice that they're getting killed by one or two arrows or bolts all the time and end up going with that.  Then on the other side of the spectrum, a lot of veteran players have a propensity for getting a little tired of the "same old" fights and decide to play as a ranger for a while. 

I do kinda wish people would cut it out though.  This is the only game with any sort of decent melee system.  If people want to play an archer they might as well just mod Bad Company 2 to have lower muzzle velocity.

^
As usual John I fully concur and want to make sweet man love to you.

Offline Siboire

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
  • Sergentariá D'armas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 04:49:38 am »
So...

Thats what im trying to explain, the amount of archers is forcing us to always carry a shield, breakin the freedom of makin ur own builds cuz now you need to invest at least 3 points in shield to get a decent shield that protects almost from head to toe (and thats only if ur directly facing the archers) all this thx to shield forcefield nerf and archers accuracy buff. And lets not forget the slot taken by the shield.

And john, thats exactly the way i think, those pew pewers could have fun on Battlefields, Call of Duty or wtv online fps... Or maybe its cuz they suck in those games so they come here to shoot at players that can't shoot back huh ;) :P  (this is a joke btw, no offence to nice guys out there playing archery :))
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 05:01:01 am by Siboire »

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 05:00:12 am »
Let's put a limit of time players can be archers xD

Sure, coming from a guy that played 95% of his time on cRPG as archer... your opinion is certainly not biased...
/sarcasm off.

I understand range should be there but when 90% of ur deaths are due to archers (I dont care about xbowers/throwers cuz these need to be dedicated to use it efficiently), the game becomes really old. If you guys (archers that can't play well other classes) want to pew pew, why dont u do so in a FPS, not a medieval battle/siege simulator.

I can guarantee you 90% of your deaths are not from archers, you just notice them more because you feel more frustrated because you didn't get to spam-swing back before they killed you.  When did xbowers and not archers need to be dedicated to use it efficiently??? This is news, I always thought archers needed to commit wpf and skill points and xbows cans till be shot and used with 1 wpf no skill points allocated before the person switches back to their danish greatsword/elegant poleaxe (if they use normal xbow not sniper), I could be wrong.  And for those saying bias, I play half my time using just a 2handed sword with no shield  and no ranged equipment.  With 7 athletics its not that hard to dodge most archers as their draw rate is so slow, you just have to wait till they the arrow is almost fully pulled back and go left/right strafe, a lot of it is being aware that you are being targeted.   (of course with 7 athletics you can't be a 27 to 30 strength behemoth that 1-hit kills and can take a lot of hits, hence the tradeoff of being a slow-moving target).

What I have noticed that may be what is annoying people is that whole clans are creating coordinated archer (and xbow) packs that don't carry melee weapons but just scatter and shoot at you when you charge one of them (I think they are practicing for strategus), best thing to do is coordinate your own team and have cavalry and shielders force them to run and keep on running until killed because the combination of speed (cav) and resistance (shielders) can be used effectively as a hammer and anvil tactic.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 05:02:33 am by Keshian »
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2011, 05:06:07 am »
So...

Yep, or hide behind someone that does have a shield...which is why shield forcefields should be increased.  Large 2 slot shields should provide enough coverage to aid teammates.

Sorry Gorath, you are not John Rambo or the Terminator.  You're an expendable infantry fodder.